E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Drive system control off. Drive moderately!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

So my wife is driving my 550i for the very first time on the way to the dealer to drop it off for M Aero Kit install. We are making a nice easy turn to the right at an intersection doing all of about 20 MPH, when under the iDrive map comes a warning that says, "Drive system control off. Drive moderately!". Then BRAKE in orange comes on in center of dash display along with orange circle with triangle warning sign. Everything seems to be working fine, No DSC or other warning lights. We get to the dealer, shut the car off. Explain to the the SA what happened and he re-starts the car and no warning message or any immediate sign of a problme appears. Says they will check for faults while they have the car.

Sure hope it is not the dreaded Steering Angle Sensor issue!!

Anybody see anything similar happen and have an explanantion?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

It is the steering angle sensor my friend and the amber brake light saz start control inactive. After you turn on the car and start the engine you need to drive just a little for the warnings to come on again. I have the same issue and I waited 17 dayz for the part. Because there is no loaner system in Turkey I drove the ar for 20 dayz and tomorrow I'm getting it replaced.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by BaranE' post='312529' date='Jul 19 2006, 01:32 AM
It is the steering angle sensor my friend and the amber brake light saz start control inactive. After you turn on the car and start the engine you need to drive just a little for the warnings to come on again. I have the same issue and I waited 17 dayz for the part. Because there is no loaner system in Turkey I drove the ar for 20 dayz and tomorrow I'm getting it replaced.
Worst fear realized! Few tings in life seem to come easily. Oh, well. Thanks for brightening my day :'(
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

Doesn't matter but I think you can get that fixed very quickly in USA my dealer even didn't know about the service bulletin so I gave them my print out
Old 07-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Members

Hope that's all. I have the same indications. Took my 525 into the dealer in Stuttgart, they say I'm car #6 with the same issue with no solution from Munich as of yet... but the car is safe to drive. Where can I find the service bulletin?
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigJim' post='312539' date='Jul 19 2006, 01:46 AM
Hope that's all. I have the same indications. Took my 525 into the dealer in Stuttgart, they say I'm car #6 with the same issue with no solution from Munich as of yet... but the car is safe to drive. Where can I find the service bulletin?
Thanks!
Service bulletin would be very helpful.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Contributors

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23191&st=15

and you can search TIS too or have the dealer search the TIS with the bulletin number. BTW tell your dealer they just need to change the Lenkungsgrad Winkel Zensor LWZ
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BaranE' post='312542' date='Jul 19 2006, 01:50 AM
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23191&st=15
and you can search TIS too or have the dealer search the TIS with the bulletin number. BTW tell your dealer they just need to change the Lenkungsgrad Winkel Zensor LWZ
Thanks for the quick response. I have read that there is a huge backlog for this part in the USA. Maybe I will get lucky.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Contributors

You might cause there is no backlog in Turkey but I waited 17 dayz for the part to arrive and Germany is much more closert than it is to US
Old 07-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BaranE' post='312547' date='Jul 19 2006, 02:16 AM
You might cause there is no backlog in Turkey but I waited 17 dayz for the part to arrive and Germany is much more closert than it is to US
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quick Reply: "Drive system control off. Drive moderately!"