E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 Jet Black 545i | Sport | Cold Weather | Rear Sunshade | Premium | Logic 7

Sorry guys, I know this isn't exactly on topic. But a buddy of mine and I want to go to Europe around August and rent a BMW or Porsche and drive Europe.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can rent high end cars like this?

I'm sure quite a few of you guys are in Europe or have done something like this before. I'm trying to satisfy this urge since I didn't discover ED until *after* I had bought my 545.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 05-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Actually most of the rental companys have cars like BMW or Porsche.
Where exactly is he going?
Pick up and drop off point??
Old 05-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Be aware that many rental cars in Europe have tiny engines and often are lower equipped than most North American rental companies provide. Be sure to be as specific as you can when making reservations about the class of car you want, model and engine size if possible, as some small cars will have 1.? liter engines.

Also, some of the rental companies there are focused on discount rentals making it more difficult to get well equipped, powerful autobahn rides.

Iceman, would you agree with these perspectives?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 Jet Black 545i | Sport | Cold Weather | Rear Sunshade | Premium | Logic 7

Basically, I want a new 545 or 911 to drive. Seeing that I drive a 545i in the States, no point in going to europe to drive something less Not sure exactly about pickup...but somewhere in Germany and perhaps drive to Paris. Perhaps drive down through Italy as well.

Also...I'm only 22 and my friend is only 21...so I hope that isn't a problem for renting cars there.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Some companys require little bit more age to get top end cars. If You look Hertz, Budged or Avis www-pages You get more info.

Google is exelent for this purpose also, because You find companys who rent even Astons, Ferraris etc.

Skaffa
Old 05-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Based on personal experience I know that you can rent MB SL500 from SIXT which is very well known and respected rental company. I think they are know by MB or at least closely cooperate.

The only trick is: You have to put down a deposit, big deposit. The deposit has to be equal to the insurance flat surcharge on the car which is usually about 10-20% of the total car cost. So we are talking here about 5000-10000 USD on such cars Of course it can be deposited over a credit car.

Other than such a exotic cars you cet get a decent Audi or BMW at most of the airport, but as someone mentioned above it might not be the most super loaded one. But still pretty good one.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Contributors

The Sixt rent a car place down the road will have about 30 E60's lined up for the up coming holiday weekend, mostly 530's. Germany is always a great drive if you can stay away from the urban areas. France is painful - beautiful toll roads, no traffic and 110kph posted speed limits - run at your own risk. Italy is a blast! Takes a bit to get used to the way Italians drive - not too much personal space if you know what I mean.

Don't forget the gas money!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

You might have to be 25 to rent some of those cars though - check before you arrive, don't get disappointed!!! The quality of the roads in France and some parts of Germany is great though. Italy can be fun! Enjoy...
Old 05-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. 30% Huper Optik tint. Sirius.

I was in Germany when I was 23 and tried to rent a S500 or Porche form SIXT and they would not allow it. The best I could get was a SLK with a V6. I called around for 3-4 days looking for a place to rent me a fast car and they all had a minimum age of 25 for the "high end" cars. The highway between Berlin and Munich was very nice even with a V6 mercedes.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Go for Poland. Go with a sports car, come back with a wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Drive Europe