E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drive Control System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2007, Adaptive Headlights (Xenon), Auto AC Extended, Logic7, Bluetooth, PDC

2 hours at BMW service and the problem was fixed. They were aware of the problem and said they had to change an old part with a newer one. Hope never to see this orange light again.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I too am now part of the group of SZL failure numbers! Anyway I had seen this fault once about 4 months ago and it never returned but last week it appeared everytime I drove the car.
Called and booked the car in on Monday for today. Dealer just called to say it was all done. I even reported it as an SZL module fault :-)
Anyway does anyone know what the procedure for this is? Does it involve a CIP upgrade? Only hope my DMS hasn't been wiped out.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

This morning on my way to office I get a red symbol of a tilting car and a "Steering Angle" fault message. It went on to say "possible fluid problem," "possible suspension hydraulic failure". "Do Not Drive" "Stop Carefully" "Contact Your BMW Service Center". Scared the #&#@ out of me. Unfortunately I did not use my camera phone and take a pic of the warning.

Immediately headed for the nearest BMW dealership/service center. I never turned off car so they could see the message. Needless to say they could not give me any answers until car is on scope. I got shuttled back home. Now waiting to hear from service advisor.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='323206' date='Aug 16 2006, 05:12 PM
I too am now part of the group of SZL failure numbers! Anyway I had seen this fault once about 4 months ago and it never returned but last week it appeared everytime I drove the car.
Called and booked the car in on Monday for today. Dealer just called to say it was all done. I even reported it as an SZL module fault :-)
Anyway does anyone know what the procedure for this is? Does it involve a CIP upgrade? Only hope my DMS hasn't been wiped out.
Just got the car back. Apparently they didn't need to change anything nor upgraded the CIP. They simply reset everything and told me it was safe to drive away. I wonder if they did anything.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
smk
Members

My 2006 525xi was produced in October 2005. It was incredible for 6 months and then a bunch of messages came up on the dash about stability and dsc and everything else. The car drove fine but the warnings were very intimidating. I drove it to the dealer and they reset the computer or something and I drove it 500 feet and all of the messages came back. So I drove it back to the dealer and they told me my SZL module needed to be replaced but that it was fine to drive.

My wife drove it around for about a week and it started acting crazy. The brakes would grab and the power steering would stop working. She said it was really bad when she had to break during a turn. She was in traffic and the person in front of her put on the breaks and she put on her breaks lost her power steering and almost drove into the person next to her. So I drove it to the dealer and it was definitely messed up. Everything would work fine and then the next thing you know the steering would be really, really stiff. The dealer kept the car and gave me a loaner. The part took four weeks and then they needed a couple days to get it working.

I drove it home but there was negative feedback in the steering wheel. My wife drove it for a couple weeks and then told me that at times it is very hard to turn the car and that the breaks were grabbing. I took it for a drive this morning and the car definitely is not right. It would slow down when you first hit the breaks and then the breaks would catch enough to pop your head forward. I took it on some back roads and needed the full power of both of my arms to make a right hand turn at low speed.

I don't know what to do. My wife is scared of the car.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TBlax545i' post='323215' date='Aug 16 2006, 12:51 PM
This morning on my way to office I get a red symbol of a tilting car and a "Steering Angle" fault message. It went on to say "possible fluid problem," "possible suspension hydraulic failure". "Do Not Drive" "Stop Carefully" "Contact Your BMW Service Center". Scared the #&#@ out of me. Unfortunately I did not use my camera phone and take a pic of the warning.

Immediately headed for the nearest BMW dealership/service center. I never turned off car so they could see the message. Needless to say they could not give me any answers until car is on scope. I got shuttled back home. Now waiting to hear from service advisor.
Did the message say "Steering Angle..." or "Steering and Suspension...". I ask because I got the same message and warning of a possible loss of hydraulic fluid with only 230 miles on my car during ED (Actually in the middle of Munich during rush hour while on my way to drop off the car. Great timing, huh?). It scared the #&#@ out of me as well. I'm half expecting the car to die or that I'm going to loose all steering.

I haven't received my car in the states yet but from what I've been able to research thus far it simply means it's low on the hydraulic fluid that is used by the power steering pump and Active Roll Stabilization system. I couldn't see a leak with mine so I'm guessing it was just low from the factory but I'm having it checked when it arrives. In fact, from what others (not many) are posting, most don't seem to have leaks. Clearly I would get it checked by the dealer but I also think the message could be worded a little better. Granted, losing your PS wouldn't be fun but given that most cars don't even warn the driver until they hear a grinding sound, I think the wording in the message is too ominous.

Please post what you find out from the dealer. I'll be anxious to hear what they said.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by smk' post='323323' date='Aug 16 2006, 04:47 PM
I don't know what to do. My wife is scared of the car.
Call the dealer, tell them what has happened since. They did replace the SZL? They either have another faulty one installed (did you get the same warning message, or any at all?) or there is another undiagnosed issue. Either way, you need to have them check it out.

Good luck, and BTW, wlecome to the forum!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM
smk
Members

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='323425' date='Aug 16 2006, 11:27 PM
Call the dealer, tell them what has happened since. They did replace the SZL? They either have another faulty one installed (did you get the same warning message, or any at all?) or there is another undiagnosed issue. Either way, you need to have them check it out.

Good luck, and BTW, wlecome to the forum!
Thanks! They did replace the SZL. The new one might be bad but I am not getting any messages. The car is in the shop getting checked out. I am going to request a sit down with my SA and his main service guy and hopefully this thing will get resolved.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

Originally Posted by MikeP123' post='323393' date='Aug 16 2006, 06:47 PM
Did the message say "Steering Angle..." or "Steering and Suspension...". I ask because I got the same message and warning of a possible loss of hydraulic fluid with only 230 miles on my car during ED (Actually in the middle of Munich during rush hour while on my way to drop off the car. Great timing, huh?). It scared the #&#@ out of me as well. I'm half expecting the car to die or that I'm going to loose all steering.

I haven't received my car in the states yet but from what I've been able to research thus far it simply means it's low on the hydraulic fluid that is used by the power steering pump and Active Roll Stabilization system. I couldn't see a leak with mine so I'm guessing it was just low from the factory but I'm having it checked when it arrives. In fact, from what others (not many) are posting, most don't seem to have leaks. Clearly I would get it checked by the dealer but I also think the message could be worded a little better. Granted, losing your PS wouldn't be fun but given that most cars don't even warn the driver until they hear a grinding sound, I think the wording in the message is too ominous.

Please post what you find out from the dealer. I'll be anxious to hear what they said.

Will post an update as soon as I get more info. They kept car overnight to update program and update some un-named modules. Still waiting to get the final results.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TBlax545i' post='323588' date='Aug 17 2006, 09:02 AM
Will post an update as soon as I get more info. They kept car overnight to update program and update some un-named modules. Still waiting to get the final results.

Picked my car up and all they can tell me is that the steering oil was low. They topped off oil level and did visual inspection of entire ARS system for leaks, non-found, however to clear the two stored faults, 5D60 oil level sensor and 613E Lock mech fault in accordance with SI B32 07 05 they did a complete vehicle programming (Chip 22.01) and encoding plus steering angle sensor calibration which cleared both faults. So far so good.

TBlax545i

Quick Reply: Drive Control System Failure