E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drivability, is it just me ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me, or is there a flat spot in throttle/trans response on leaving a standstill? It is as if the engine revs more than the car moves, a disconnect feel, then a mushy shift to 2nd (or I've been told, it starts in 2nd- so on the shift to 3rd). I did the adaptive reset where you hold the gas pedal down and it resets the adaptive trans, or at least it says it does, and I felt there was a significant improvement. Although short lived.

I am still under CPO wty, the car is new to me, so I went to the dealer and they essentially said "They all do that, they are designed for soft comfortable shifts". I was expecting them to say that the mechatronics (sp)unit is bad.

I love a smooth powerful feel when you barely feel the shifts but know that if you push the pedal it will jump. That's why I loved my 2002 540, but I'm not getting along with the '06 550 nearly as well.

I just ordered the Sprint Booster. Maybe what I'm feeling is the DBW delay. I hope so. The disconnect feeling is making me dislike what should be the car of my dreams.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated,
john
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

DS mode will help but mine tends to jerk a bit in sport mode. Also that transmission resetting trick does seem to work at first, or may be I'm imagining thing, but eventually the problem will go back.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

You basically have 2 choices:
1) Sprint booster to boost the signal sent from the throttle to the ECU (not worht it in my opinion since it offers no HP gains at all)

2) ECU tune, of which all give little HP gains, but the gains in throttle response and fuel economy are much better. Add to that the fact that most tunes are only slightly more expensive than the Sprint booster V2 - it's a no brainer

Our drive by wire systems are typically slow to respond, on purpose.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
You basically have 2 choices:
1) Sprint booster to boost the signal sent from the throttle to the ECU (not worht it in my opinion since it offers no HP gains at all)

2) ECU tune, of which all give little HP gains, but the gains in throttle response and fuel economy are much better. Add to that the fact that most tunes are only slightly more expensive than the Sprint booster V2 - it's a no brainer

Our drive by wire systems are typically slow to respond, on purpose.

Thanks for the response. I follow your logic but wasn't able to find an ECU programmer for the 550. Does anyone know of one for the 550?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2006 550i | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport Package | 6-speed MT | Logic7 | NAV | CWP | Tan Dakota Leather | Stock 124s | 35% tint |

thank goodness for my manual. 360 lb-ft . . . no waiting.

mysery loves company though - my GL450 is awful with this, and it weighs a hell of a lot more than my 550.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

There was also a software update for the transmission that dealt with "hesitation" when accelerating from slow speeds or a stop. I had this issue when I first took posession of my '08 550, and it was fixed with a quick reprogram at the dealer - fortunately I was under warranty so it was at no cost (to me).
Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wpg550
There was also a software update for the transmission that dealt with "hesitation" when accelerating from slow speeds or a stop. I had this issue when I first took posession of my '08 550, and it was fixed with a quick reprogram at the dealer - fortunately I was under warranty so it was at no cost (to me).
I had that done a few weeks ago. They told me it would not help my situation but they were willing to try it. They were right, it didn't help.
Hopeful that the DBW fix will get me somewhere
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by five4life
Thanks for the response. I follow your logic but wasn't able to find an ECU programmer for the 550. Does anyone know of one for the 550?
I have the slow pedal response as well and it is difficult to get used to. As people say I expect this V-8 to light the tires up with ease but the response from the pedal makes a much smoother take-off. I guess it's not the worst thing.

As far as ECU tunes you can contact Dinan and Singh from my knowledge. I am going to try a local tuner to me that uses G-Power tunes from Europe. There are a few more but I forget from memory.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Subscribed to this thread, I have the same delay and would like some insight.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by five4life
I had that done a few weeks ago. They told me it would not help my situation but they were willing to try it. They were right, it didn't help.
Hopeful that the DBW fix will get me somewhere
Did they keep your car overnight for the reprogram, or just in-and-out in the day? If the latter, then potentially all they did is the transmission reset (as mentioned in posts above) and not a full reprogram - which would not fix the problem. Some dealers are hesitant to do full reprograms as there can be complications (ie. cases where modules needed to be replaced, leading to more time/cost). You might want to confirm the "integration level" of your car and compare it to the list in the dealers & service forum (Cobradev graciously has maintained software update levels and SIB lists).

I have no problem "lighting up the tires" (well tire, actually - darn lack of LSD!) even in "D" mode with my 550i so hopefully you can find a solution.

Quick Reply: Drivability, is it just me ?