E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DRIFTING TO THE RIGHT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I agree with taking your car to another shop. I already took my new 545 with 400 miles on it to a tire shop for a better ballance. What a differece it made to have someone who does this every day do the ballance. My car drives great!

I will say, with the bad roads here in SOCal. and with the suspension in the E60, I do notice the car tracks more.

What kind of car did you have before your E60 if I might ask?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Actually i have the similar problems as yours after i changed my rims for my car. But after i did allignment at a BMW dealer for $179, the handling is much better..
Old 03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Members

Arrow

Well here's an update on my ride:

Dropped it off yesterday for the 3rd time on the same issue.....pulling or drifting to the right of the road. And it doesnt matter if the crown of the road is straight, tilted either way, the car just seems to pull to the right as soon as you let go of the wheel.

So I get a call from the dealer about six hours later only to tell me that they cannot figure out the problem on my car and that there is something definetly wrong with it. According to them, they test drove a few new ones off the lot and none of them had any issues with the steering like mine. Now they are waiting on a call from BMWNA to assist with this situation. They believe it's a problem with the Active Steering motor control putting to much tension on the right side of the wheel(I think they're full of it).

All and all I'm pretty bumbed about buying a $55K car with 1000 miles only to have these problems. I wonder if they dont figure it out will they give me a new car?????? I'll let you guys know more later this week when I find out what they tell me come Monday.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I hope they figure it out. Good luck!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Members

Have the same problem, BMW can't fix it. I've tried with both runflats and regular tires and two diffrent set of rims. The dealer says they done all they can and they also says that they can't repeat the problem when driving the car. Conclusion, the faulty part is the driver (me), this is pretty much BMW's policy in sweden: we can't solve the problem so therefore You must be the problem ..
Old 03-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545

i have the same problem, and they claim its fine
Old 03-14-2005, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cjindustry' date='Mar 14 2005, 07:26 AM
i have the same problem, and they claim its fine
[snapback]101175[/snapback]
I had a similar problem a few years ago on a Volvo when I purchased new tires. There is something called Radial Stear. It really means there is a bad tire on the front end. Some how plys work against each other and pull the car to one side or another as the tire is rolling.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

You might want to take the car to an independent shop for an alignment and see if BMW is aligning it right, or take it to another BMW dealer. Make sure the dealer isn't owned by the same owner's group.

For example, here in California, Shelly BMW, Crevier BMW and Irvine BMW are all owned by the same group. They use the same master technicians. You need to make sure the person looking at the car isn't the same one to took it to. Also, don't tell the other dealer that you have brought it in before. Let them find out by searing your records. Play Dumb.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

Please specify the shop that you used, where they are located and a phone number if possible.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I wonder if people without AFS can chime in if they've experienced this road tracking problem. If the result was statistically the same for both with and without AFS, then you can rule out the AFS as the culprit.

BTW, is the periodic wheel alignment covered under BMWNA's maintainance program? If so, What is the mileage interval allowed per alignment?

Quick Reply: DRIFTING TO THE RIGHT!!!