E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr. Color chip - has anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Hey guys,

I'm noticing large paint chips on my front bumper and especially on my hood. I hate seeing these annoying white marks on my car. :thumbsdown:

Anyone tried this? http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Any other product recommendations except a clear coat bra protection? Thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Members

leese8080,

If you do try it, please take before and after photo's. I would love to know if it works as advertised.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

never heard of it but i don't read magazines, flyers newspapers etc....I paint and I've use touch up pens in the days but now I use my airbrush for certain chips etc. I would still use a pen for smaller chips. I probably try this out for fun one day. But i can proabably do this with a OEM color pen and scratchX.....if he's smearing globs it would definately work with my airbrush just the same. lol
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I tried it. It's all right. It works better on horizontal surfaces rather than vertical since it's thinner than OEM touchup paint it could start to sag on vertical surfaces.
The instructions say to wipe and smooth down after a few minutes. However, I find it best to wipe it down after about 2 hours so that it will cure some more. If you wipe it off too soon, it won't stick and all of it might wipe off. It's mostly trial and error and sometimes I find you have to do numerous coats before it starts to be flush with the paint surface. In the end to me it's not as perfect as what the videos show (maybe I need more practice), but it does look better than before and cleaner than the OEM touchup pen.

Sorry, no before and after pics.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Contributors

I actually ordered the kit last week from Bavauto and received the confirmed shipment email this morning. I'll see about doing a DIY and before/after, but this topic has been discussed a lot on Lexus forums when I was doing some research.

I think Gene or Tony might have tried the product too IIRC.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
I actually ordered the kit last week from Bavauto and received the confirmed shipment email this morning. I'll see about doing a DIY and before/after, but this topic has been discussed a lot on Lexus forums when I was doing some research.

I think Gene or Tony might have tried the product too IIRC.
Jedi - DIY would be awesome. Please do let us know. Thanks boss!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
I tried it. It's all right. It works better on horizontal surfaces rather than vertical since it's thinner than OEM touchup paint it could start to sag on vertical surfaces.
The instructions say to wipe and smooth down after a few minutes. However, I find it best to wipe it down after about 2 hours so that it will cure some more. If you wipe it off too soon, it won't stick and all of it might wipe off. It's mostly trial and error and sometimes I find you have to do numerous coats before it starts to be flush with the paint surface. In the end to me it's not as perfect as what the videos show (maybe I need more practice), but it does look better than before and cleaner than the OEM touchup pen.

Sorry, no before and after pics.
balbs - thanks for the tips. good to know. I've been meaning to take pix of my rims from behind(20-30 feet) but the damn rainy weather here as you know these days. Have you made up your mind on rims?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I know Gene tried it and reported good results on AW. I tried it and didn't. Perhaps it was due to the fact that mine was metallic? I even called them to send me another bottle thinking the one I had was mixed improperly. Nope.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

This stuff works great especially on blk cars...
The key is to use the wiping solution afterwards to
smooth out any bumps in your touch up work.
and if its a large area say in your front bumper with road
rash, you can smear over the entire area and come back in a half hour and wipe all the
excess paint off leaving only the rock chips filled in!!!
It worked well for me you just have to take your time and not wipe the paint to early
as it states you can wait up to two hours before wiping off.
GL, Alex
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by leese8080
balbs - thanks for the tips. good to know. I've been meaning to take pix of my rims from behind(20-30 feet) but the damn rainy weather here as you know these days. Have you made up your mind on rims?
Ha ha! Not yet. I'm even tiring my kids out since I keep asking them if they like a certain model or not. LOL!
I hear you about the weather. The my car is filthy right now as well!

Quick Reply: Dr. Color chip - has anyone tried this?