E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Double Clutching an SMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mine: 2006 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, poplar grain wood trim, SMG, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport packages, fold down rear seats with ski bag, park distance control, rear side airbags. ED: ordered 3/29/05, picked up 6/3/05 (well, not quite - long story), redelivered 8/6/05. Wife: 2005 X3 2.5, water blue, light beige leather, birch grain light wood trim, steptronic, panoramic roof, Cold Weather, Sport packages, fold down rear seats with ski bag, cruise control, fog lights, rear side airbags, heated seats. ED: ordered 3/29/05, picked up 6/3/05 (well, not quite - long story), redelivered 8/6/05.

When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear with the shifter, which is necessary when turning, I must do so several times. Sometimes, after 3 attempts, I give up and must use the paddles - which is not easy while the steering wheel in turning. This occurs sporadically and almost always when the car is cold.

This has been going on for a few days. Anyone have this problem? This can't be a software issue.

The car was built in May, and I am on its original software version - whichever that might be.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:47 PM
JDN
Contributors

With active steering, the wheel doesn't get that far out of position, so I regularly paddle while turning--almost never use the stick except for N and R.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Huh? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to say....

Are you saying that when you are turning and you try to upshift with the center console stick it wont? So you resort to the paddle and it upshifts fine?

If so what does that have to do with "double clutching" as indicated in your title?

If that is your problem I dont have it. but sometimes when in auto mode the car doesnt upshift from 1 to 2 and I end up having to manually force the upshift from D1 to M2. Happens once in a while... I've notice it happening usually only after making a turn it will kinda get stuck in 1st in auto mode and I'll have to force the upshift turning the transmission to Manual mode.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

One thing you learn if you have ever taken a performance driving course is that you should do all the shifting when the car is straight except if you are accelerating out of a high speed corner. I guess this is a computer thing where the computer senses you doing a tight turn and in that case the driver really shouldn't be shifting, think about when you are driving a conventional manual would you depress the clutch to shift while you are turning in an intersection?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very true... you "should" shift during straights, it'll disrupt the balance of the car if you change gears in a turn. But... in everyday driving and if I'm going slow I upshift during a left turn... no big deal...

BUT when theres like no cars ahead of me and I want to make a nice FAST turn on a on ramp or freeway interchange Never ever change gears in that turn... I'm usually almost at the limit then... and you DONT want to disrupt the balance then.

AC_S5: Wanna race on a track?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 9 2005, 03:16 PM
Very true... you "should" shift during straights, it'll disrupt the balance of the car if you change gears in a turn. But... in everyday driving and if I'm going slow I upshift during a left turn... no big deal...

BUT when theres like no cars ahead of me and I want to make a nice FAST turn on a on ramp or freeway interchange Never ever change gears in that turn... I'm usually almost at the limit then...? and you DONT want to disrupt the balance then. ?

AC_S5: Wanna race on a track?
[snapback]181580[/snapback]
Well when I do a left turn I just let the car go straight before I upshift but of course not very fuel efficient to do so as you are reving up your engine.

Sure when I get a 545, then we can meet at Zhu Hai (nearest race track from Hong Kong)
Old 10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

can you double clutch an SMG?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Oct 9 2005, 04:10 PM
[snapback]181598[/snapback]
It will do it automatically on the downshift because there's no clutch.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Oct 9 2005, 01:10 AM
[snapback]181598[/snapback]
I dont think it does... I'm pretty sure it just Rev matches...
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Mine: 2006 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, poplar grain wood trim, SMG, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport packages, fold down rear seats with ski bag, park distance control, rear side airbags. ED: ordered 3/29/05, picked up 6/3/05 (well, not quite - long story), redelivered 8/6/05. Wife: 2005 X3 2.5, water blue, light beige leather, birch grain light wood trim, steptronic, panoramic roof, Cold Weather, Sport packages, fold down rear seats with ski bag, cruise control, fog lights, rear side airbags, heated seats. ED: ordered 3/29/05, picked up 6/3/05 (well, not quite - long story), redelivered 8/6/05.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 8 2005, 10:55 PM
Huh? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to say....

Are you saying that when you are turning and you try to upshift with the center console stick it wont? So you resort to the paddle and it upshifts fine?

If so what does that have to do with "double clutching" as indicated in your title?

If that is your problem I dont have it. but sometimes when in auto mode the car doesnt upshift from 1 to 2 and I end up having to manually force the upshift from D1 to M2. Happens once in a while... I've notice it happening usually only after making a turn it will kinda get stuck in 1st in auto mode and I'll have to force the upshift turning the transmission to Manual mode.
[snapback]181518[/snapback]
By "double clutching", I mean that I am unable to shift from 1st to 2nd when first attempting using the shifter - so I have to try again a second, and even a third time. I can do so only with the paddles. Something's amiss. I'm not doing a hard and fast turn, but when I get past 3K RPM, I'd like to shuft out of 1st -easily.