E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Lock Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with leaving your plastic key in your wallet is if you lose your wallet (with your drivers license in it) someone not only knows where you live (your address is in your wallet) with all your credit cards, but also has the key to your 5er to stop by your address and drive away with your car some day ...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 8 2005, 09:00 AM
The problem with leaving your plastic key in your wallet is if you lose your wallet (with your drivers license in it) someone not only knows where you live (your address is in your wallet) with all your credit cards, but also has the key to your 5er to stop by your address and drive away with your car some day ...
[snapback]87804[/snapback]
Once they got by my electrified fence then they only have to worry about the three dogs, two of which practice on the racoons, possums, foxes and armadillos to keep their skills honed
Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 8 2005, 04:00 PM
I only take the plastic key with me when I go to the car wash...
Old 02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 8 2005, 04:45 PM
[quote name='Canada545' date='Feb 8 2005, 04:00 PM']The problem with leaving your plastic key in your wallet is if you lose your wallet (with your drivers license in it) someone not only knows where you live (your address is in your wallet) with all your credit cards, but also has the key to your 5er to stop by your address and drive away with your car some day ...
[snapback]87946[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please explain your comment?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 8 2005, 11:49 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 8 2005, 04:45 PM'][quote name='Canada545' date='Feb 8 2005, 04:00 PM']The problem with leaving your plastic key in your wallet is if you lose your wallet (with your drivers license in it) someone not only knows where you live (your address is in your wallet) with all your credit cards, but also has the key to your 5er to stop by your address and drive away with your car some day ...
[snapback]87946[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please explain your comment?
[snapback]87949[/snapback]
[/quote]
When I am going to the car wash I carry the plastic key, because I have to leave the key in ignition and get out of the car. That is the only situation where I leave my car key in ignition and have all doors closed, while I am not inside the car.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

The saga continues...

Yesterday I just exited by car and when I shut the door they all locked and the alarm set. The key was in my hand (luckilly) and I was not pressing the button.

Until the last software revision I haven't had any issue.

So, never leave your keys in the car, period - esp. with V15.0
Old 02-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well that's an interesting developement now, isn't it?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

we never got a plastic key, maybe they dont give you them in the uk, there must be about two million diffrent options on how bmw send out there cars
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Feb 9 2005, 11:47 AM
The saga continues...

Yesterday I just exited by car and when I shut the door they all locked and the alarm set.? The key was in my hand (luckilly) and I was not pressing the button.?

Until the last software revision I haven't had any issue.?

So, never leave your keys in the car, period - esp. with V15.0
[snapback]88183[/snapback]
Most Peculiar. Could be a software problem - has anyone else experienced this?
Could also be some kind of stray radio frequency I guess. I will be extra careful not to leave the key in the car - not that I normally do.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='87374' date='Feb 7 2005, 01:05 AM
Well.....
I didn't think it was possible, but somehow I was able to lock my car while it was running! :bashwall:
I was placing an Open House sign at an intersection about 20 minutes before my open house (I was actually early for once). I shut the trunk, went to the drivers door, pulled the handle and * F@#K! * The car was locked!

I called BMW assist and they said that they "Can't unlock the car remotely" (Hmmm, the CTS-V can do that - but it's a pice of sh*t in every other respect).
Luckilly my brother-in-law happened to be driving by a minute later.
He gave me a ride back to my house (about 20 minutes away each direction).
When I came back 40 minutes later, my car was actually still idling where I left it.

Soooo......
I thought that this wasn't possible.
I just got my car back with a new software version. I'm wondering if this is some kind of "upgrade"?

Rudy, or anyone else, how could this happen?
(Rudy, you can answer anytime before the Pat's kick the Eagles ass )
My car did the same and it was running on CIP 19. Problem is I was in Austria in a gas station. Second key in laptop bag in trunk. Snowing, -4 degrees celsius outside and I was only with my suit on. Luckily I had my wallet and my mobile phone.

BMW Mobile Service came, and after 1 hour of struggling to get inside, they said the only option is to drill a hole in the trunk and open the car from inside. I called BMW and asked if this is normal procedure. They confirmed, while BMW Mobile Service guy, said he can wait because he waits on my money, no problem.

I asked: WTF? This is a software problem, not mine. So I called BMW again and requested to talk directly to BMW Mobile Service guy and clear who's going to pay. So BMW agreed they should pay, under my car's warranty.

Next morning I was in a BMW service in Germany, requesting the change of the trunk lid under warranty. They did not agreed so I called again BMW in Munich. They said my dealer should offer complimentary repair of this, back home. I did not agreed and told them I have a paper from BMW Mobile Service, stating the car was found with the engine started, but closed, so it must be a software problem, and they should pay for the trunk replacement. BMW guy talked with the guy at the service and my trunk lid was replaced under warranty.

How it happened: I was in a gas station, filled the tank and washed the car. Went inside to pay and get some refreshments. Get back into the car, started it, parked nearby, because I remembered I need to refill the windscreen washer reservoir. So placed the gearbox in P, and somehow in the same time I pushed the button on the dash to close the trunk, and opened the dor with the left hand. Not knowingly went to the trunk, and to my surprise it was closed. I said, probably I did not pushed the unlocking button on the dash. So went again to my door, but... I always have ON following settings: "lock if no door opened" na d"lock doors after moving".

What they did: They changed some computer modules and resofted the car along with the new trunk lid.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Question