E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DOOR DINGS! @#$%$&#!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought i was the only crazy one! At work and home i take up two parking spots i dont care what anyone says! And last week i got in a heated argument with the landscapers for dusting the crap out of my car! Goodluck with the camera though!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

This topic reminds me of the recent Curb episode where Larry is pissed cuz some dude kept parking with his wheels over the line, thus screwing up the parking space next to him...

Pig Parking:

"This is chaos. Society can't function like this! ...It's not an open field! It's not a farm!..Park your? car between the lines!"
Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pradden
This topic reminds me of the recent Curb episode where Larry is pissed cuz some dude kept parking with his wheels over the line, thus screwing up the parking space next to him...

Pig Parking:

"This is chaos. Society can't function like this! ...It's not an open field! It's not a farm!..Park your? car between the lines!"

hahahaha i never ever claimed i wasn't mostly insane about this car - i would say im pretty ghey for my 550i as a matter of fact. I just think that some of these bumps and bruises arent necessarily accidents - and i am having more fun thinking about how im going to relatiate when end up with video eivdence of someone vandalizing my car.

still wondering if anyone knows of a constant power source near the glovebox,
Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wolf
My family thinks I am nutty for parking so far away from everyone else, or circling the lot looking for an end space, but my wife's car and mine are a study in contrasts. Her car is filled with scratches and dings from other people's cars while mine is quite clean. I will note that her car is the "work horse", going to COSTCO, the supermarket, malls, etc. However, I think where you park makes a huge difference.

I do the same thing... it's always a painful ritual going through the whole "threat assessment" situation come parking time. I have taken to dropping off whoever I have in the car with me at the entrance of wherever we are going and tell them I will be back - after I find a SUITABLE parking spot.

I usually come back on foot and out of breath.

Rules:

1. find an end spot and park over the line on the opposite side to give the eventual idiot who decides to park next to you a WIDE BERTH and NO EXCUSE for bumping your car

2. park next to a handicap spot and "encroach on it a little" - again giving the idiot on the other side a super-wide berth. Yes, if a handicapped person needs to use the spot, all bets are off, as you will likely be dinged big time. Furthermore, if you feel this type of encroachment is illegal, I discourage you from taking this approach.

3. avoid the side-by-side parking scenario at all costs if possible by parallel parking along a curb perhaps on the road leading into the parking lot (as long as the curb is not yellow)

4. park far, far away off in the distance - while still adhering to #1, #2, or #3 above.

5. (any other suggestions?)

I used to struggle with this because often, parking along a curb ends up putting you underneath a power line or light pole.. which of course means you will be susceptible to being DIVE-BOMBED by the birds (dark 550's are the birds' preference I have come to understand ). I decided that the risk is worth it - as POOP washes off.

=
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by julioescobar1
I thought i was the only crazy one! At work and home i take up two parking spots i dont care what anyone says! And last week i got in a heated argument with the landscapers for dusting the crap out of my car! Goodluck with the camera though!
while i totally understand, taking up 2 spots is just asking for someone to vandalize your car. at home - if you live in an apt setting, i guess that's still better than parking far away and letting someone have at your car w/out being able to see it.

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
I do the same thing... it's always a painful ritual going through the whole "threat assessment" situation come parking time. I have taken to dropping off whoever I have in the car with me at the entrance of wherever we are going and tell them I will be back - after I find a SUITABLE parking spot.

I usually come back on foot and out of breath.

Rules:

1. find an end spot and park over the line on the opposite side to give the eventual idiot who decides to park next to you a WIDE BERTH and NO EXCUSE for bumping your car

2. park next to a handicap spot and "encroach on it a little" - again giving the idiot on the other side a super-wide berth. Yes, if a handicapped person needs to use the spot, all bets are off, as you will likely be dinged big time. Furthermore, if you feel this type of encroachment is illegal, I discourage you from taking this approach.

3. avoid the side-by-side parking scenario at all costs if possible by parallel parking along a curb perhaps on the road leading into the parking lot (as long as the curb is not yellow)

4. park far, far away off in the distance - while still adhering to #1, #2, or #3 above.

5. (any other suggestions?)

I used to struggle with this because often, parking along a curb ends up putting you underneath a power line or light pole.. which of course means you will be susceptible to being DIVE-BOMBED by the birds (dark 550's are the birds' preference I have come to understand ). I decided that the risk is worth it - as POOP washes off.

=
lmao.. i totally agree w/everything. i always go for the end spots and if in a hurry, will drop off my wife at the entrance and come back in later. it's more unlikely for someone to park at the very end just to bother you (but it's possible). when someone has done that to me, i of course inspect the car before i get in, and enter their license plate number in my phone just in case i missed something..
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by djlarroc
while i totally understand, taking up 2 spots is just asking for someone to vandalize your car. at home - if you live in an apt setting, i guess that's still better than parking far away and letting someone have at your car w/out being able to see it.

Yes - never take up two spots (this is different from "encroaching" on the handicapped spot in my mind).. as YES you are BEGGING someone to get you for it. I've seen it happen.

=
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535I

Best tip I have is if the parking lot has no "good" spaces left, park on the passenger side of a minivan. Almost all the kids use the sliding doors which maens, hopefully, no doors will open into your car.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by djlarroc

lmao.. i totally agree w/everything. i always go for the end spots and if in a hurry, will drop off my wife at the entrance and come back in later. it's more unlikely for someone to park at the very end just to bother you (but it's possible). when someone has done that to me, i of course inspect the car before i get in, and enter their license plate number in my phone just in case i missed something..
I live in an apt complex with more than enough parking spaces that its never full.. and the day that i started taking up two spots was when i pulled up in my girlfriends car and i see this guy parked right next to me with his door open an inch away from my door talking to his girlfriend with atleast 7 empty parking spaces on both sides!!?! WTF! I couldnt believe it! That was the day the "deuch with the 545i black beemr that takes up 2 spaces" was born! LMAO! Btw i work at an apt complex so i find an area that has ample spots so i can take up 10 spots lol ...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Members

Am so glad to be reading this my wife and friends keep saying am crazy I always look for the corner spot and pull in almost diagonally (like time out ) malls and supermarkets and such if I can't find the (spot) I stay in the car
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gcvt
Parking etiquette died long ago.

Not that this applies to the OP's situation, but it used to be that you could park out in the middle of ******* nowhere and no one would park anywhere near you out of respect. Try that these days and some a-hole in a clapped out Camry will park right next to you, despite the fact that they could park three spaces away. And they might just spit on your car for fun...that's actually happened to me.

People used to respect other people's property. No...it's true! I'm old enough to remember those times.

Not "people" but Americans. People still respect property of others, but fuckin Americans and values have really gone to shit.

Quick Reply: DOOR DINGS! @#$%$&#!!!