E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DONUT SPARE TIRE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I got a flat tire yesterday 100 miles from home. I hit a pot hole coming off the Goerg Washington Bridge. As soon as it happened I felt the front tire go thump-thump-thump. The I-Drive display also said Flat-Tire!. I drove slowly in the snowy traffic to the nearest rest stop to have a look. When I looked closely at the front tire, I saw a 3inch rip where the tire meets the rim. So I decided to call BMW assist. They told me to wait at the rest stop for someone to come change it with the spare in my trunk. One hour later the tire was changed with the stupid donut that comes with the car. Problem is that you can only go 50 miles per hour with that tire, and I had to go down the turnpike for 100 miles in the right lane going 50mph with my hazards on. Not a very good experience. I cant understand why a $70,000.oo car comes with a donut spare. Anyone know how much a new bridgestone run-flat will cost me. I originally thought I would be able to finish my trip in the run-flat, but when I asked the BMW-assist man, he said yea but what if the tire falls apart, your better off with the spare.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='207919' date='Dec 6 2005, 11:19 AM
I got a flat tire yesterday 100 miles from home. I hit a pot hole coming off the Goerg Washington Bridge. As soon as it happened I felt the front tire go thump-thump-thump. The I-Drive display also said Flat-Tire!. I drove slowly in the snowy traffic to the nearest rest stop to have a look. When I looked closely at the front tire, I saw a 3inch rip where the tire meets the rim. So I decided to call BMW assist. They told me to wait at the rest stop for someone to come change it with the spare in my trunk. One hour later the tire was changed with the stupid donut that comes with the car. Problem is that you can only go 50 miles per hour with that tire, and I had to go down the turnpike for 100 miles in the right lane going 50mph with my hazards on. Not a very good experience. I cant understand why a $70,000.oo car comes with a donut spare. Anyone know how much a new bridgestone run-flat will cost me. I originally thought I would be able to finish my trip in the run-flat, but when I asked the BMW-assist man, he said yea but what if the tire falls apart, your better off with the spare.
LOL so what's the purpose of the rft then?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

YEA, thats what im thinking.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

It's 50 mph max on either, and why risk the wheel?

But to answer your question of why bother with a donut, take a look at your trunk floor, and figure out where they are going to put an 8+ inch wide wheel and its fatter tire? And while you are there, you might want to decide whether you want a front or rear-sized tire?

The donut may be modest, but at least we get one in the US, and one size fits all.

The RF (what a deceptive advertising name) will likely cost you $300+.

Sorry, but I'll likely have a flat too. The best thing I can say about that eventuality is that I run regular snows 5 months a year, and maybe I'll get lucky and catch that waiting nail with one of them.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207932' date='Dec 6 2005, 11:55 AM

But to answer your question of why bother with a donut, take a look at your trunk floor, and figure out where they are going to put an 8+ inch wide wheel and its fatter tire? And while you are there, you might want to decide whether you want a front or rear-sized tire?

The donut may be modest, but at least we get one in the US, and one size fits all.

Sorry, but I'll likely have a flat too. The best thing I can say about that eventuality is that I run regular snows 5 months a year, and maybe I'll get lucky and catch that waiting nail with one of them.

Cheers,
Ray Hull

So no room for a full size spare even if you wanted it.

I got a flat on my wifes Acura MDX today. same thing. donut stinks
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Feel sorry for you about your experience.
If you are driving a 550, your car must be less than 2 months old. But on positive side, you only need to replace 1 tire, for someone that has 10000 miles on their tires, they have to replace 2 or 4 at the same time.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207932' date='Dec 6 2005, 11:55 AM

Cheers,
Ray Hull
In the past when BMW gave you a full size spare and the front and rear are different sizes they gave you the spare with the front tire size.If you had a flat on the rear tire you could still use the spare as a tempory measure.
cheers
vern
Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

If you have a 3 inch rip where the tire meets the rim, that tire is gone, even if it's RF. I believe RFs are designed to withstand punctures on the contact patch of the tires, not on the side walls. Even so, a 3 inch gash anywhere means your tires are shot.

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='207939

Cheers,
Ray Hull

So no room for a full size spare even if you wanted it.

I got a flat on my wifes Acura MDX today. same thing. donut stinks
[/quote]

Coincidentally, my wife also drives an MDX. I think you can put full size tires in the MDX's spare wheel compartment...just as an FYI. Oh and if you're interested, check out www.acuramdx.org.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='207944' date='Dec 6 2005, 12:12 PM
If you have a 3 inch rip where the tire meets the rim, that tire is gone, even if it's RF. I believe RFs are designed to withstand punctures on the contact patch of the tires, not on the side walls. Even so, a 3 inch gash anywhere means your tires are shot.

Exactly, to me this is common sense. Nothing will survive a gash that large.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I thought about taking my spare tire out to save few lbs on the car. I changed my mind now.

Quick Reply: DONUT SPARE TIRE