E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Don't move to west Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Don't move to west Texas

So I just moved from Monterey, CA, away from an amazing indy shop, terrible traffic and roads, and going to work on a mountain. I was mostly happy to get my car out of there, I was averaging 16 mpg on the roads (my daily drive was dominated by highway driving) and rarely ever had the room to push the car.

so I started the drive to San Angelo, TX. On the first day my gas was up to 34 mpg. Of course I could thank that to non-stop 80+mph.
My car was great on the trip, made me want to start a country wide drive.

Now I'm here, and I finally have the money I've needed and been waiting for to get all the work done I want.

There's only one problem: no good indy shop. In fact 80% of shops I went to told me they're scared to touch a bimmer. Closest dealer is about 3 hours.

Roads aren't too great either, but i have found a few nice, strait, smooth roads that lead nowhere, which means they are nice and empty for a minute or two.

Good thing is, the base I'm assigned to has a hobby shop, which is pretty much a DIY playground. So I do have access to my own lifts, and "any tool I could think of" according to the guy that works there. So now my weekends will be devoted to logging on here and bugging you guys about all the crap that I can't figure out, which i hope isn't that much considering I'm on my own around here. I'm pretty sure I've seen about one other bimmer around, and it was obvious that they didn't take much pride in it.

First project is a trans fluid flush and replacement. Any suggestions on what kind of fluid? or maybe a good DYI?
I'd like an alignment, but every alignment shop I went to told me something about sandbags and reminded me, there aren't many of my kind of car around, so no one has the right software/equipment. Any solutions? or should I just make a plan make the drive to Dallas.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

What kind of car do you have? Mileage? I'm not so sure I would venture out and change the tran fluid unless there is a need. Most of the cars have lifetime fluid in them so go figure, but still, I don't think I would be doing it just to do it. Maybe mileage on the car will dictate this? Also, if you throw out what city you are in, I am sure there are other members that could suggest a good indy shop. Texas is a pretty big state and west Texas isn't that much smaller...
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Trans fluid is definitely a DIY thing if you feel up to it, just remember, it takes a loooooong time to drain completely (a few hours). In terms of fluid, ecstuning.com offers a trans fluid and filter change kit for ~$240, not a bad deal. I changed my fluid at about 75k miles, but most will suggest that if you have over 100k, don't bother, you'll probably do more harm than good.
As long as you're willing to tackle things as a DIY project you shouldn't need an indy shop close by. Since I have owned my car it has been to an indy shop once, and that was to install and code my CCC unit when it died, everything else I have handled solo or with the help of friends (and members here). Don't be afraid to tackle anything on your car, at the end of the day, it's still a machine, held together with nuts, bolts, and screws. Google will be your friend, there are literally thousands of DIYs to be had all over the net, if you have a 6 cyl 5 series you will find even more DIYs, since the 6 cyl is also used in the 3 series and those owners tend to tackle quite a bit more DIY. Good luck, you will be fine.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

oooh I remember when I lived in Monterey, CA back in 2008. Small town but amazing view of the bay from my bedroom ! :-)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

killaK - my parents live in Monterey, so I'm wondering which shop are you referring too, just in case I need help with my car when I'm in that area.

for the trans flush, contact these guys. - The CTSC - ZF Parts
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

West Texas is basically unsettled territory. haha
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
New Members

My car is a 2004 530i, just over 100k miles. I wanted to change the fluid because I feel like the transmission should feel a bit more responsive, and I know they call it a "lifetime fluid," but when it comes to metal wear particles floating around in the fluid, and such a sensitive component as a transmission, nothing is lifetime, changing it would do wonders in preservation in my opinion. I had a 92' 525i before this one, had to get rid of it cause the trans went out at about 220k, and the repair would cost more than the car. Reading around, I found out it was a relatively preventable issue, if a good schedule for flushing the system and replacing the fluid had been maintained I sold to a local indy shop in Fayetteville, NC (my hometown) for parts instead. I really loved that thing, but I know she will live on.

The indy shop in Monterey was called Monterey Bay Motor Works, and they were great. I took it there mainly for service interval resets, and while I was there always got tons of good advice. The owner (and his wife) are very knowledgeable friendly. And yeah, the scenery is absolutely amazing, it's a nice place period for an auto enthusiast.

I'm not scared to do any DIY work, I just like to have that resource close by just in case i rryaly screw up, or all the programming stuff which i am completely uneducated about.

I'm in San Angelo. About 3 hours west of Dallas. Actually i think i might have found a shop, just got to talk to them. Only thing I'm really worried about a shop for right now is a wheel alignment. I'm sure i'll find the time to make the drive to a bigger city like San Antonio or Dallas for that, but every alignment shop here said they wont even think about touching it, really disappointing.

Thanks for the links by the way, I'll check them out as soon as I get settled (more like when I they give me a mailing address).
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

killaK - I know it's bit far but try giving this place a call and ask for Steve Kan - PRT Performance.com, Paradigm Racing and Technology

He might be able to help you find a good alignment shop nearer too you.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

I lived in West TX for 4 years - it IS unsettle territory! San Angelo isn't THAT far West, though.

Very much the muscle-car and truck crowd, which is fine, just not so much the BMW scene. Look at the map, you might get lucky with an indy shop in Abilene, but probably better off driving to Ft Worth.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 01-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Firestone dealership in San Angelo to see if they have decent alignment equipment such as Hunter. Firestone offers a lifetime alignment deal (I think about $170) which entitles you to a free alignment as often as every 6,000 miles for as long as you own your car.

As previous poster stated, CTCS is the best source for ZF fluid and parts for transmission.

This is one of the better DIYs for trans fluid drain and refill, which is best done in two steps, with an initial drain and fill, drive a few hundred miles and then do another drain and fill. Torque converter holds fluid that won't drain, but doing the drain and fill twice will turn over 80-85% of your fluid.

Quick Reply: Don't move to west Texas