E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Don't Let Friends Drive Your E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Monaco Blue w/ Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, Premium Package, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering, PDC

Heres the story:

Last Friday I decided to trade cars with a friend and go for a drive. He has a 550i and I have a 530. We were driving around, me in the front and my friend behind. We were on a tight street with hard corners and I was driving ahead in the 550. When I looked back my friend was nowhere in sight. I turned around and drove back down the street and whitnessed the 530 off the road in some iceplant (a kind of grassy plant)...There didn't appear to be any body damage but then I sat in the car and it was idling realllly rough. I also noticed that there was a trail of fluids behind the car. I promptly turned off the car, popped the hood...some smoke and steam. BMW assist was good. Flatbead was there in 20 minutes and it was taken to the dealer. Cops showed up but fortunatly didn't file a report or issue any tickets.

What ended up happening was he had taken the corner too fast with DTC on limited mode. The road didn't have a curb but was lined with "mini boulders"...good sized rocks. He had driven over the rocks and caused some pretty good damage to the underneith of the car.

The dealer called with a preliminary estimate...Its gonna need a new transmission, exhaust, suspension subframe is bent and needs to be replaced, wheel alignment is way off....ect. Estimate for all of this damage: $23,000!

My friend has been very good about the whole situation and offered to pay for everything...I'm not mad at him about anything and given the circumstances it could have been either one of us that had crashed. However, its going to have to go on my insurance because it is my car and i gave him permission to drive it. There is now way in California that his insurance will cover this incident.

Just a reminder guys - be careful out there and remember that while our cars have outstanding cornering ability they still do have limits and accidents can happen.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ouch... sorry to hear... $23K in damages??? WOW... Ya I'm always afraid to drive someone elses car fast. Actually I never do... I've never driven someone elses car more than 50% of its limits...

Actually correction. I've driven BMWs Ultimate Driving Experience cars 100% of its limits and brokes its limits. Mercs too at Merc events.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Alex L.' post='285076' date='May 19 2006, 10:22 PM
Heres the story:

Last Friday I decided to trade cars with a friend and go for a drive. He has a 550i and I have a 530. We were driving around, me in the front and my friend behind. We were on a tight street with hard corners and I was driving ahead in the 550. When I looked back my friend was nowhere in sight. I turned around and drove back down the street and whitnessed the 530 off the road in some iceplant (a kind of grassy plant)...There didn't appear to be any body damage but then I sat in the car and it was idling realllly rough. I also noticed that there was a trail of fluids behind the car. I promptly turned off the car, popped the hood...some smoke and steam. BMW assist was good. Flatbead was there in 20 minutes and it was taken to the dealer. Cops showed up but fortunatly didn't file a report or issue any tickets.

What ended up happening was he had taken the corner too fast with DTC on limited mode. The road didn't have a curb but was lined with "mini boulders"...good sized rocks. He had driven over the rocks and caused some pretty good damage to the underneith of the car.

The dealer called with a preliminary estimate...Its gonna need a new transmission, exhaust, suspension subframe is bent and needs to be replaced, wheel alignment is way off....ect. Estimate for all of this damage: $23,000!

My friend has been very good about the whole situation and offered to pay for everything...I'm not mad at him about anything and given the circumstances it could have been either one of us that had crashed. However, its going to have to go on my insurance because it is my car and i gave him permission to drive it. There is now way in California that his insurance will cover this incident.

Just a reminder guys - be careful out there and remember that while our cars have outstanding cornering ability they still do have limits and accidents can happen.
Ouch, that must hurt for both of you. Even if DTC and DSC was on, little pebbles acts as secondary unstoppable wheels for any car. Hope they fix your car right and your friendship remain strong.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Damn thats scary..
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

will you lend your wife to your buddy?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Monaco Blue w/ Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, Premium Package, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering, PDC

haha...yeah needless to say I have learned my lesson
Old 05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

i really cant believe the $23k sum... Mate ive seen cars half smashed and they cost less to repair

Old 05-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

23000$????

thank god the insurance is paying
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Ouch, i'm sorry to hear that friend.

Wouldn't you better use the money to buy you another one then with 550i engine?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

I don't understand the part about his insurance won't cover it. Is that only in CA.
As far as I know, in Hawaii if I drive my friends car and crash my insurance still covers me, and the damage I do.
But that repair price tag does seem pretty expensive.

Quick Reply: Don't Let Friends Drive Your E60