E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your E60 rattle ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 AM
asg
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

Originally Posted by SKK' post='194305' date='Nov 6 2005, 03:08 PM
I hate cars in which the interiors rattle, crash and squeak. It just drives me nuts especially if they start doing it within the first year.

My 325CI was a rattle monster and I couldnt stand it. My 730i still felt rock solid after about 30,000 miles. I have only done about 200 miles in my E60 and so far no squeaks or rattles of any sort - thankfully.

Have you guys had any such problems with your E60's and if so what were they, at approx what mileage did they first appear and what did BMW do to it sort ?

Thanks
I had rattling from the rear seats (some lose bolts etc..), rattling from the instrument panel, and the door seal rattles. Took it to the dealer and after a couple of visits, all has been resolved.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Members

My voice activation button on the steering wheel rattles on the freeway (very annoying); no other persistent rattles at 18k.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='194663
Originally Posted by ls78000' post='194499' date='Nov 7 2005, 03:45 AM
27000 kms (16000 miles) : small rattles in seats (if empty) during accelerations. It started 6 months ago. Not fixed yet but I can survive.
Yes! I too have rattles in my front passenger seatback when empty and the rear seat headrest where the fold down rear seat lever is located.
I tried slapping the front seatback and it got rid of it who knows how long?
I've been advised not to take it to the dealer because in taking apart the seats they probably will only make it worse.

In my less-than one month old 550, I too have periodic rattles from the passenger comfort seat when not occupied, and another rattle from somewhere in the dash near the glove box. And there is a rattle from the rear seat area too, on the passenger side, but I can't distiguish yet where exactly. Fold down rear seat mechanism?

I plan to have someone ride along with me sometime to pinpoint these noises before I take it in. I am going to have the dealer look it over as this is just not acceptable in a $70,000 car. :thumbsdown:
[/quote]

Try focusing in on the rear headrest that contains the fold down rear seat release.
Sounds like the same lunatics put both our cars together.
The other folks lucked out and got the A team!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKK' post='194342
Originally Posted by jayman098ma' post='194333' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:46 PM
Where does yours rattle? I know mine is not the door seals. I can't pin point it yet but I think it might be the seats. I hear it when I shut doors hard at times and going over bumpy roads at times.

Anyone else have similar problems? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance.
A rattle has just started on my E60 during the past 2 weeks. It appears to be coming from the passenger door and I think its coming from the "button" for the door lock (the button which goes up and down when you unlock/loce the doors). I think that's the cause otherwise its something within the door itself. Only started happening with the recent cold/wet spell we've been having. Need to get it check out when next in.

How many miles have you done ? The state of UK roads is appalling - must contribute some..
[/quote]

I've done just over 13k miles. Had a parcel shelf rattle few months back which was resolved by my dealer by taking the whole shelf out and fixing more retaining clips I think. They also changed all 4 doors seal according to the TIS which can be found in the forum somewhere. All well for a few months and now this rattle from the passenger door. As mentioned those buttons must be replaceable or some felt could be added to stop the rattling. Will check with my dealer when next in for the mirror change which should rectify my whining folder mirror
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

Lots of door seal creaks, even after replacement (solved temporarily with carbaflow). Ignition assembly rattles. Declutching chatter at low speeds and valve tapping noise, but the dealer said these were normal.

My e39 M5 has been very quiet by comparison, contributing to a much more solid feel.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

2000 miles: Rear parcel shelf rattles. 3 dealer visits, finally made some shims on my own with black cardboard to correct. Still creaks every so often, but better.

10,000 miles: 4 doors creaking due to bad door seals. Replaced at 20K miles and quiet for last 2000 miles, but now noticing driver door window area squeaking again.

13,000 miles: Front passenger seat squeaks when unoccupied. Traced to passenger head rest which when placed in rearmost position seems to make it less noisy.

All in all now at 22,000 miles, not very pleased with structural integrity in this, my 5th BMW.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

I've got one coming from somewhere in back seat/parcel shelf behind the driver. Doesnt happen all the time though. I put my breifcase behind the drivers seat and I think that contributes some squeek, but still here it when not there? Also have one on the passenger comfort seat headrest. Solved that one by keeping in full down position. Sometimes I think I hear door seal creaking going over a rough surface at low speed, but nothing like what I've heard from some of the brethren here on E60.net

I HATE RATTLES, especially in brand new cars .
Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

4000 miles, no rattles or creaks.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

Ever since I had the front door window motors replaced -- the windows creak when i go over uneven road surfaces.

before then, -- i would hear "nothing"

Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Noticing a trend here. Generally people with 04 or earlier cars have a problem with rattles etc. This may be a function of their higher mileage or simply that BMW got the build sorted by 2005.

I recall buying a 3 series in 1991 (or was it 1990 - anyway my first new beamer ) and the model had just been released and from day 1 it rattled like crazy. There were lots of problems with the cars produced in the first year but BMW finally got most of the issues sorted by the second year. Lesson - don't buy any new car in the first months of a model release as you just act as a guinea pig for the manufacturer. A bit like cellphones and there software. However I dont think its as bad with the E60 but surely BMW must make manufacturing / build changes as a model ages and most of them probably come in the first year.

Quick Reply: Does your E60 rattle ?