E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your BMW react to other marques' keys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have both a new Range Rover & an E60? Our trunk in our BMW seems to open sometimes when I unlock the Range Rover & they are parked next to each other. Our BMW is possessed, so it may be completely unrelated. Just wondering what you all think about possibile interference between the two (especially since the Range Rover is so much BMW). The trunk has been opening by itself for a lot longer than we've had the Range Rover, but it seems to happen more frequently now that we have it. It's a long shot, but it's worth asking!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

they may be on a similar frequency
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Dec 9 2004, 09:59 PM
Our BMW is possessed...
[snapback]67347[/snapback]
Yup. It is. From what I have read about it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Still, it shouldn't open from a different remote. They will be a code sent. Almost sounds like there is a problem somewhere between the receive and the boot opening mechanism. I'd take it to your dealer, otherwise somebody horrible might open your boot with a different remote, and take anything thats in the boot.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 PM

SueBMW, I think you disliked your E60 so much that its AI has taken a life of its own and rebelling against you by way of strange behaviour!

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Dec 9 2004, 11:59 PM
Does anyone have both a new Range Rover & an E60?? Our trunk in our BMW seems to open sometimes when I unlock the Range Rover & they are parked next to each other.? Our BMW is possessed, so it may be completely unrelated.? Just wondering what you all think about possibile interference between the two (especially since the Range Rover is so much BMW).? The trunk has been opening by itself for a lot longer than we've had the Range Rover, but it seems to happen more frequently now that we have it.? It's a long shot, but it's worth asking!
[snapback]67347[/snapback]
Old 12-10-2004, 05:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Dec 10 2004, 02:48 AM
SueBMW, I think you disliked your E60 so much that its AI has taken a life of its own and rebelling against you by way of strange behaviour!?
[snapback]67385[/snapback]
You don't suppose it's adopting the personality of its mistress?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by maylander739' date='Dec 10 2004, 02:11 AM
Still, it shouldn't open from a different remote.? They will be a code sent.? Almost sounds like there is a problem somewhere between the receive and the boot opening mechanism.? I'd take it to your dealer, otherwise somebody horrible might open your boot with a different remote, and take anything thats in the boot.?
[snapback]67381[/snapback]
Yeah, well it's been into the dealer 4 times for the trunk opening by itself & it is still doing it. I just have to resort to trying to diagnose & fix problems by myself now.

And I am well aware of the problems of a self-opening trunk. The first time it did it was in the middle of the night during the pouring rain & it ruined everything in the trunk. We came out in the morning to find the trunk open & all the books & notes inside ruined. It also freaks me out about parking in a garage or valet, where there will be lots of other new Range Rovers and BMWs about. It still opens no matter how you lock it.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

You should hook a bungie cord on the inside so it won't open and hit somebody and then their name will be SueSueBMW!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

If this isn't a joke, you should get your dealer to improve on this immediately. Having this problem would make the car very easy to steal.

Btw.. probably not a good idea to tell your insurer that you're experiencing this problem?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Why would it be a joke? Of course I'm serious.
How would the trunk opening make it easy to steal? There isn't any way to get inside the car from the trunk... I mean, you can steal what is in the trunk, but I don't see how it makes the car more vulnerable to theft.

Quick Reply: Does your BMW react to other marques' keys?