E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does Not Handle like a BMW! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545I SPORTS SUPENSION DINAN CAI DINAN STAGE 2 WISH LIST: RPI SCOOPS BODY KIT NEW FEET (RIMS)

Below is my response to the BMW Survey from this experience. BMW NA intervened based on my response and the car was taken in to the Fayetteville dealership today. Initially they called back stating...can't find any fault codes!!! (Damit)

I called Chad the SA...(very nice guy) and asked if the car was driven...it does not handle...ect..ect...and this was Beemer #3. He stated it had been driven about 22 miles. I then asked him to have it driven at high way speed.

Chad called back and the VERDICT... THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!!! I knew it!

Well they want the vehicle back on the 13th this is when they will give my wife a loaner to drive so they can try to determine where the problems lies. Hopefully its a defective problem, versus an issue of abuse. Stay tuned for the update.

Fields BMW Survey: ( The beemer is in my wife's name...hence the perspective)

I felt like just another number in this process, that my service advisor lacked Guinness in her approach. My car was brought in due to a Dynamic Drive Malfunction during a recent out of town trip. My advisor informed me the service tech could not find any stored faults, even though I received the error message of four separate occasions during this trip, and that a possible fix would be to do a four wheel alignment.
She went on to explain the alignment was a complicated process which would result in a software update as well added to the cost at around $260. Additionally as the steering wheel was slight off centered it would result in an additional $160 charge to correct that.
As the steering wheel is slightly off center I agree an alignment is probably in order, hence the steering wheel being slightly off center. We have owned this CPO BMW for just over 2 months, but have only driven it 5 times. We have owned a previous 5 series and current own a 330i as well. In my husband experience he stated ?this car does not handle as a BMW should? These were his first words after driving the car the very first time, and resurfaced during this long extended trip. (The car was purchased from a BMW dealership on-line)

Currently our 5 series is garaged until my husband returns back from his military tour in Korea which will be in September. It is garaged for the primary reasons. A lack of confidence in the safety and handling of the vehicle and fear of being taken advantage of by the next service advisor.
I also had issues being assessed a separate diagnostic fee for what was felt MIGHT be the cause of the problem. During this same service visit a faulty windshield wiper pump was diagnosis and replaced under the CPO. I feel the diagnostic for the Dynamic Drive should have been covered as well.

We purposely purchased this vehicle due to it being a CPO as an added guarantee to its soundness. We have been loyal BMW owners for the past 4 yrs purchasing 3 BMW?s during this time frame, and we hope this issue we are experiencing can be resolved effectively, verses the crap shoot approach we felt has been taken at our expense
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Interesting, I'm having a similar issue with a CPO I've had for only a week, which I bought for the same reasons as you. The car is just not solid on the road at highway speeds. I took it in today so that they could check it out. Service advisor drove it, service manager drove it and they said "Nothing wrong, normal handling for a BMW". Since I anticipated this, but I don't agree, I told them I felt it had to be the tires (Dunlops). After conferring with the sales manager, they offerred to replace the Dunlops with OEM Continentals (in retrospect, I don't think he said NEW Continentals, and perhaps Continentals are a marginal improvement over Dunlops, but it seemed like a good place to start since they were the original equipment). I honestly think it's somewhat better. To me the feel of the steering is more solid in my hand but I'm still having to correct more than I should. It's passable up to about 80, but 90 is pushing it. My husbands comment after driving it again? "No." I have to agree. I didn't pay all that money for passable.

In my case, I don't know how much might be due to the ride height (mine is a 530xi), and how much might still be tires, or suspension wear or something we just haven't identified yet. I'm probably a patsy, but the dealership has been very considerate and reasonable to deal with, so I just don't know where to go with this next. I'm thinking maybe a frame inspection to see if there were some unreported damage. I'm seriously bummed. We otherwise love the car.

If you find out any more on yours I'd love to hear about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545I SPORTS SUPENSION DINAN CAI DINAN STAGE 2 WISH LIST: RPI SCOOPS BODY KIT NEW FEET (RIMS)

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='833622' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:36 PM
Interesting, I'm having a similar issue with a CPO I've had for only a week, which I bought for the same reasons as you. The car is just not solid on the road at highway speeds. I took it in today so that they could check it out. Service advisor drove it, service manager drove it and they said "Nothing wrong, normal handling for a BMW". Since I anticipated this, but I don't agree, I told them I felt it had to be the tires (Dunlops). After conferring with the sales manager, they offerred to replace the Dunlops with OEM Continentals (in retrospect, I don't think he said NEW Continentals, and perhaps Continentals are a marginal improvement over Dunlops, but it seemed like a good place to start since they were the original equipment). I honestly think it's somewhat better. To me the feel of the steering is more solid in my hand but I'm still having to correct more than I should. It's passable up to about 80, but 90 is pushing it. My husbands comment after driving it again? "No." I have to agree. I didn't pay all that money for passable.

In my case, I don't know how much might be due to the ride height (mine is a 530xi), and how much might still be tires, or suspension wear or something we just haven't identified yet. I'm probably a patsy, but the dealership has been very considerate and reasonable to deal with, so I just don't know where to go with this next. I'm thinking maybe a frame inspection to see if there were some unreported damage. I'm seriously bummed. We otherwise love the car.

If you find out any more on yours I'd love to hear about it.
I will definately post the outcome once it is learned. My wife is concerned BMW will come back and state it's a problem cuased by abuse versus defect, rendering us to having to pay for the fix. If this is the case,I'm confident BMW NA will continue to intervene and make the situation right.

At the moment I will not name the dealership the car was purchased from, but feel they knew somenting was wrong. (My wife flew in P'd/u the car and drove it back to North Carolina...so my first time driving it was 1.5 mos after we had it.) Hence they dropped the price by $4k . It's an 04, that had 36k miles on the clock, I knew the deal was too good to be true! But again i was not too concerned...It's a CPO, that was my rationalization.

I am eager to learn the outcome!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Members

Update...took the car in today for further diagnostics. It was revealed 3 of the four rims were bent and the repair cost would have been $300 to fix all three. The dealership suggested i contact the dealer which the car was purchased to see if they will cover the cost.

Now get this...the dealership I purchased the car from instead wants to pick up the car and drop off a loaner. This dealership is over 6 hours away from me. They will pay more in labor cost and fuel versus footing the bill. Well it really does not matter...I just want the rims fixed eventhough I will buy some customs down the road.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I'm sorry that you've had problems with your E60. But I don't understand what you are expecting BMW to do with a 5 years old car you've bought. I don't know how long the warranty stretches in the US but where I'm it's 2 years. A five years old car's problems is considered as yours.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' post='846156' date='Apr 13 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry that you've had problems with your E60. But I don't understand what you are expecting BMW to do with a 5 years old car you've bought. I don't know how long the warranty stretches in the US but where I'm it's 2 years. A five years old car's problems is considered as yours.
He stated he purchased a CPO. Car is still under warranty. New car warranty is 4 years and CPO adds another 2.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='846167' date='Apr 13 2009, 06:47 PM
He stated he purchased a CPO. Car is still under warranty. New car warranty is 4 years and CPO adds another 2.
After road-testing a CPO a couple of years ago, I asked the salesman if the car was traded in by a customer. He answered that the car, a low-mileage 2005 545i, had been bought at auction. When a dealer sells a CPO, it doesn't mean that he knows the car, just that the car is warranted under the terms of the limited warranty. I commented that the car had a little tire noise and the salesman agreed. A couple of days later, the tires had been swapped for new ones, but I still didn't buy it.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Members

[quote I'm sorry that you've had problems with your E60....quote]

I understand your stance and its pretty much the same here in the USA with used cars...Buyer beware, unless there is a warranty.

In this instance I was looking for resolution because it is a CPO vehicle that was recently purchased in Janurary, and driven all of 5 times.

In my travels around the world, US based companies often have a different set of standards for "customer satissfaction" often having them perform in ways that other companies operating from abroad would typically dismiss it as your own problem.

But again thanks for your input.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by hoodwink33' post='846149' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:23 PM
Update...took the car in today for further diagnostics. It was revealed 3 of the four rims were bent and the repair cost would have been $300 to fix all three. The dealership suggested i contact the dealer which the car was purchased to see if they will cover the cost.

Now get this...the dealership I purchased the car from instead wants to pick up the car and drop off a loaner. This dealership is over 6 hours away from me. They will pay more in labor cost and fuel versus footing the bill. Well it really does not matter...I just want the rims fixed eventhough I will buy some customs down the road.
I'm sorry that you have to go through so much trouble, but gives you an excuse to buy new wheels Hope you get everything taken care of.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Members

[quote gives you an excuse to buy new wheels [/quote]

Hey bru...I will be looking for some sweet a$$ wheels soon. Like i've said on multiple occasions..you all have your babaies looking nice. It what i call suited and boot! ( that's body kits and wheels for you who don't know)

Quick Reply: Does Not Handle like a BMW! (long)