E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does Intake Boot /Resonator Click In Place?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

When I put the throttle body rubber boot on its a tight fit.

Here's what I do to ensure its on properly with no leaks.

I put the boot on tilted at 6 o'clock. The part at 6 o'clock goes on first.

Why?

Because there is a tab at 12 o'clock and you can't twist the boot from side to side to push it on.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by scottalexander
When I put the throttle body rubber boot on its a tight fit.

Here's what I do to ensure its on properly with no leaks.

I put the boot on tilted at 6 o'clock. The part at 6 o'clock goes on first.

Why?

Because there is a tab at 12 o'clock and you can't twist the boot from side to side to push it on.
That's exactly what I eventually figured out. For some reason, starting at 6 o'clock works. I started at 12 o'clock previously. Lesson learned.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the continuation of my saga....

I got a stubby flex head socket wrench but every time I stuck my hand down there to tighten the clamp, I'd knock the boot off the throttle housing. I kept doing that for awhile unit I got the fantastic idea to connect the other end that goes to the air filter housing. That helped hold it in place. I tightened the clamp on the throttle side but luckily I felt around underneath to feel the throttle housing groove meaning the hose wasn't seating at the 6 o'clock position.

I kept trying to get it to stay but to no avail.

Then I had the genius idea to loosen the clamp a lot and then the hose slid all the way on. I tightened the clamp nice and snug and took the car out for a test drive. All was well at over 1.5k rpm but sometimes whenever I stop, the car starts dicking around like its learning or trying to settle down. One time it shut off when I was slowing to make a turn.

I am now at the point where sometimes when I stop, all is well but only like 70% of stops. Also, sometimes when I start the car, it settles right in to idle but other times it dicks around more than usual like its trying to figure out who knows what. Since I installed new intake manifold gaskets, maybe its trying to re-learn. Or did I have to clear the learning? The f if I know. Argh.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I just remembered on the passenger side when I had the microfilter housing removed, there was a loose hose that I did not know what was for. Seemed like a breather hose or something. If it was that loose, I doubt it was a vacuum hose. Its not one of the hoses visible without removing the cover. I tugged on the visible ones and they are snug. I was wonder if that mystery hose had something to do with the idle issue.

The car seems to run great except for the idle. I have read tons of things it could be but have seen others fix it with simple stuff like Seafoam. Others replaced the MAF and a bunch of other stuff and still did not fix it. Just a reminder, my car was fine until I replaced the starter.

Its starting fine and dandy now but now its got that dang idle problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you didn't replace hoses while you did your starter then that's your issues. They always crack. I would suggest you do a smoke test. That's the only way your going to find your issue. If not you're going to be at it for a while trying to find where the leak is.

We can not help you with this just give you a lot of options it could be. But I would suggest looking at what you just did and replace the hoses that ALWAYS cracks while changing the starter
Old 03-10-2020, 03:25 PM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

The hose that Sean is talking about is in the picture attached. See red arrow.

When I replaced my starter recently, I ordered this 3 pronged hose with the starter.

The hose is difficult to get off and its brittle (so its likely to crack).

Old 03-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

When I did mine I replaced all breather hoses and crank case vent valve to make sure I didn't have to go through it again. It is definitely a pain to change it all but I'd rather do it while I had everything apart
Old 03-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I did not replace a single hose. I only heard from several folks just to replace the 6 intake manifold gaskets which I did.

Chances are I probably unknowingly cracked a brittle hose. I was told the slightest crack is enough to case a problem. So just hose #14? I saw a bunch of other ones besides that one. I did not remove the intake manifold completely, just angled it to the side enough to reach the starter. But still I could have broke a hose. I do not have equipment to do a smoke test.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

A cigar, straw/hose is all you need for a smoke test (saves you money this way). Maybe some tape. But I would replace the breather hoses (they sale them as a kit).
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Come the think of it, that #14 hose looks a bit familiar. I feel its the one I saw that broke away from its end connector. I had tried to snap it back in place but it kept falling out (probably because I inadvertently broke it). And me not knowing what the heck it was for, I left it as-is. There are so many hoses, I thought that one was just some breather hose.

Quick Reply: Does Intake Boot /Resonator Click In Place?