E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does the E60 Nav has nice new features after 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I got a E60 from 2004, with a NAV CD from 2005-2.

I got a few questions:

- Does anyone know if there are new features released after 2004 of the Nav software? Like: Auto Zoom function when approaching a junction?
- Does the BMW Nav supports a via-route, like TOMTOM?
- Is it possible to zoom in, more then the 100m scale that I have at the moment?

Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

Koen Hak
Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The new features that I like are the icons on the size of the large map, the POI search feature, the pop up arrow feature.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='628048' date='Jul 19 2008, 11:11 PM
The new features that I like are the icons on the size of the large map, the POI search feature, the pop up arrow feature.
Hi,

What do you mean with 'the pop up arrow feature'? What does it do?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by koenhak' post='628069' date='Jul 19 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi,

What do you mean with 'the pop up arrow feature'? What does it do?
If you have the map displayed on the small screen, the arrow view will pop up everytime you need to change your route direction. The same thing happens if you have the nav on the main screen without any maps displayed, the arrow will pop up on the large screen.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='628094' date='Jul 19 2008, 11:00 PM
If you have the map displayed on the small screen, the arrow view will pop up everytime you need to change your route direction. The same thing happens if you have the nav on the main screen without any maps displayed, the arrow will pop up on the large screen.

This also happens on 2005-2 depending on the progman level.

Apparently it disappeared or was unstable until the latest iDrive updates. I don't know what my 05 is on but Arrows work with both 2005-2 and 2008-1.

I am having my software updated next week with an iPod fit so it will probably vanish

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='628411' date='Jul 20 2008, 02:05 PM
This also happens on 2005-2 depending on the progman level.

Apparently it disappeared or was unstable until the latest iDrive updates. I don't know what my 05 is on but Arrows work with both 2005-2 and 2008-1.
It works on my 2005-2 version as well.

I am having my software updated next week with an iPod fit so it will probably vanish
Can you tell me, if you can zoom in, more then the 100m scale? I found it quite difficult to have a good and clear overview when driving in town with the BWM sat nav, compared to TomTom (which I used the last 6 years.....) :-)

Maybe you can provide me a screenshot/picture of your nav, so I can see the difference IF you can zoom in in more detail?
Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by koenhak' post='628413' date='Jul 20 2008, 01:09 PM
It works on my 2005-2 version as well.

Can you tell me, if you can zoom in, more then the 100m scale? I found it quite difficult to have a good and clear overview when driving in town with the BWM sat nav, compared to TomTom (which I used the last 6 years.....) :-)

Maybe you can provide me a screenshot/picture of your nav, so I can see the difference IF you can zoom in in more detail?
I have just managed to load 2008-2 and the closest zoom is 125 yards. Now! - I can not remember what it was on 2005-2 but have a feeling it was 250 yards. I will check when I next have a few minutes to spare. There certainly is no auto zoom however as you know the pop-up arrow that you can have set in the small screen is just as good IMHO, if not better, than zooming. I find that with auto zoom, sometimes you cant see all exists off a roundabout.

I too have used TomTom for many years and although the BMW does not have so many bells and whistles (features) I actually find the BMW better, mainly the maps are so much better/accurate.

One thing I can't see is how to do a Info/POI search, it may be that this is dependent on the Progman which if nobody answers I should find out next week when I get my upgrade. Other than, I guess, the maps would have been updated, I cant tell any difference between 2008-1 and -2.

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='628437' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:45 PM
I have just managed to load 2008-2 and the closest zoom is 125 yards. Now! - I can not remember what it was on 2005-2 but have a feeling it was 250 yards. I will check when I next have a few minutes to spare. There certainly is no auto zoom however as you know the pop-up arrow that you can have set in the small screen is just as good IMHO, if not better, than zooming. I find that with auto zoom, sometimes you cant see all exists off a roundabout.

I too have used TomTom for many years and although the BMW does not have so many bells and whistles (features) I actually find the BMW better, mainly the maps are so much better/accurate.

One thing I can't see is how to do a Info/POI search, it may be that this is dependent on the Progman which if nobody answers I should find out next week when I get my upgrade. Other than, I guess, the maps would have been updated, I cant tell any difference between 2008-1 and -2.
Hi Alan,

125 yards - 114,3 meters, which is what I have at the moment. Shame on BWM they do not support an better zoom :-P Would be nice, but OK, I will get used to it :-). And I still got my TomTom, so when I'm in town and it's a pain in the *ss to quickly find my way, I can still take TomTom, no problem.

Please let me know if you had your upgrade if there was any improvements (Navigation, Radio, CD etc.). I'm very interested to know if I should get un upgrade as well and what I get for my 150 euro :-). I think I will combine it with the iPod 6FL integration.

Thanks,

Koen
Old 07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by koenhak' post='628460' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Alan,

125 yards - 114,3 meters, which is what I have at the moment. Shame on BWM they do not support an better zoom :-P Would be nice, but OK, I will get used to it :-). And I still got my TomTom, so when I'm in town and it's a pain in the *ss to quickly find my way, I can still take TomTom, no problem.

Please let me know if you had your upgrade if there was any improvements (Navigation, Radio, CD etc.). I'm very interested to know if I should get un upgrade as well and what I get for my 150 euro :-). I think I will combine it with the iPod 6FL integration.

Thanks,

Koen

Hi will let you know, it's not being done until 29 July, it has to be in overnight and then I am away for a week (with the car ;-))) so will try and post some pictures on my return.

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='628601' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi will let you know, it's not being done until 29 July, it has to be in overnight and then I am away for a week (with the car ;-))) so will try and post some pictures on my return.
Hi Alan,

Looking forward to your pictures, hope there is something nice to show in the new update :-). Have a nice week with your car :-)

Quick Reply: Does the E60 Nav has nice new features after 2004?