E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does anyone actually have a 520i SE*newb silly question??*

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 9/2003 E60 520i SE

Hi

I'm in the UK and its probably a silly question, but 1 i feel i need to ask. Am i the only person who owns a 520i Se? I recently bought 1 2nd hand of course. I'm really happy with its performance on the road but a little dissapointed with the gadget options available. been trying to find ways to retrofit satnav and ipod intergration. looks like i may have to opt for an aftermarket all in one head unit (which means losing the idrive), unless someone really on here can be really helpful and suggest other means.

went to BMW dealer to ask about Ipod stuff, ended up gonna cost ?500 total so thats out of the question.

thanks for any sensible suggestions in advance. i'll continue to peruse the forums for handy tips.

thanks all.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 9/2003 E60 520i SE

Originally Posted by rah73' post='491326' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:15 PM
Hi

I'm in the UK and its probably a silly question, but 1 i feel i need to ask. Am i the only person who owns a 520i Se? I recently bought 1 2nd hand of course. I'm really happy with its performance on the road but a little dissapointed with the gadget options available. been trying to find ways to retrofit satnav and ipod intergration. looks like i may have to opt for an aftermarket all in one head unit (which means losing the idrive), unless someone really on here can be really helpful and suggest other means.

went to BMW dealer to ask about Ipod stuff, ended up gonna cost ?500 total so thats out of the question.

thanks for any sensible suggestions in advance. i'll continue to peruse the forums for handy tips.

thanks all.

oops i posted this twice. sorry i dont knbow how to delete one of the copies. i'm sure the administrators will delete for me please.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Hi Rah, weclome! There are a few of us around Warrington/Liverpool/general NW area. I'm over near Daresbury Labs.

Not sure about other 520i owners, but in terms of iPod / Satnav, the engine size doesn't matter. To retrofit satnav is very expensive - I expect you're talking a couple of thousand ? (at least) plus a huge amount of labour to pull half the car apart to fit new parts, run cables etc.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by rah73' post='491326' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:15 PM
Hi

thanks all.
Hi Rah,

Welcome to the forum. For nav, I use my smartphone loaded with Tom Tom nav 6 software and a bluetooth gps reciever. Both work fine, the phone charges through a hands free cradle mounted on the side of the central console.

I-pod wise, you may want to consider a Dension system. This plugs into the cd atouchanger out on the back of the head unit and allows the i-pod to replicate a cd changer. I had one in my old car and it works really well, although I suspect it will not give you the full functionality.

Dension i-pod

Cheers

LM