E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dodged a bullet...thanks to my indy shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Tueseday evening I was about to step out to get something to eat when I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the car. First thought, oh shit now what? I popped the hood and checked the expansion tank, and it was about half full, now that air could get in the tank more coolant started to leak, so I recapped the tank. I thought from where it was leaking it was the thermostat or waterpump. I decided to eat something at home instead and call the indy shop I go to first thing in the morning.

I called the shop and they were totally booked up for the day, but was told to bring it in anyway so they could take a look at it. Lucky for me the shop is only about 9 miles away, so I decided to drive there instead of getting towed. I filled up the expansion tank and was on my way, about two miles from the shop I started getting the low coolant warning. Thankfully I never overheated the engine and I made it to the shop with no problems (lucky).

The shop gave me a ride back home and I waited for a call from Carson the sevice manager. A couple of hours later he called me and told me that the coolant pipe (item 3 in picture) in the engine block had cracked and needed replacement. He then told me that the tech was sure he could replace it through the throttle intake housing. If that didn't work, he would have to take apart the intake manifold. The work was done the next day with no problems. I'm not sure how he did this, but it saves a lot of work hence saved me a boat load of cash. Total cost for labor, parts and tax was $430! I would hate to imagine how much the stealership would rape me for. Kudos to Autoscope Dallas!

Next on the agenda is to replace the thermostat, waterpump and upper and lower hoses. Of course I will not buy these parts locally, its way too expensive. I was also recommended to replace the radiator. Has anyone else had a radiator replaced as part of a preventative maintenance program?
Attached Thumbnails Dodged a bullet...thanks to my indy shop-coolant-pipe.png  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Can you find a part number or what did he use for that seal he used to replace original one. This a brake thru.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made out like a bandit! That is the infamous coolant pipe leak that stealers will charge $10k to replace because they require almost complete disassembly of the upper half of the engine. There is a collapsible replacement pipe that has been available for awhile now that reduces the labor required, and thus cost to around $1500. However, you have undercut even that method significantly! Glad I live in the DFW area...gonna keep these guys in mind...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Members

Glad to hear it can be done without spending thousands of dollars...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Did I miss it? Which shop did you use?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Phil75070
Did I miss it? Which shop did you use?
Yes you did. Bottom of the third paragraph.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i SMG/Sport/Prem/Nav/HUD/Cold/PDC 04 330ci Sport/Prem/HK/Cold 93 325i Sport/Prem/Cold (Project Car)

I wish this was true. Are you sure it wasn't the short upper return pipe between the water pump and the valley pan. P/N 11511439976 ?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

You are talking about the wrong pipe. The one you mentioned is metal with O-rings. This is a major repair and impossible for $500. The part you are likely talking about is the short plastic transfer coolant pipe and is easily replaceable by removing the water pump. #3 in this picture.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
You are talking about the wrong pipe. The one you mentioned is metal with O-rings. This is a major repair and impossible for $500. The part you are likely talking about is the short plastic transfer coolant pipe and is easily replaceable by removing the water pump. #3 in this picture.
Negative. The labor desciption on my receipt states "Replace cooling hose under intake". Parts description, throttle body gasket, vent tube and antifreeze BMW. Impossible? Evidently not. If they were going to replace the pipe your talking about, I would have had both the thermostat and water pump replaced while the work was being done.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Originally Posted by stoic1
Negative. The labor desciption on my receipt states "Replace cooling hose under intake". Parts description, throttle body gasket, vent tube and antifreeze BMW. Impossible? Evidently not. If they were going to replace the pipe your talking about, I would have had both the thermostat and water pump replaced while the work was being done.
I am all for if you got the pipe done for $500 bucks, that would be awesome. But i dont think you understand the scope of that repair versus what was actually done. That isn't a cooling hose, its a coolant transfer pipe. There is a big difference. It may have not been the small pipe but always a possibility as it is plastic. There are a few coolant hoses under the front of the intake in back of the throttle body that may have been the culprit which i can see. you should propably ask them exactly what was repalced if you are curious. But i can bet it isn't the pipe that you think it is.

Either way its good that you got your ride back running. They are wonderful cars.

If you look at my engine here you can see the line running from one side to the other. This may be your issue.

And to give you an idea you would have required more tear down than this if it was done OEM. Much more. Harmonic balancer, lower timing cover, timing sprockets, gears, chains, oil filter bracket on drivers side, and more.

Quick Reply: Dodged a bullet...thanks to my indy shop