E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you think XDrive (AWD) will become more the Standard, than the exce

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

I have never owned an AWD vehicle, but sometimes I feel like going that route. And, the crazy thing is, I live in California! But, the thought of AWD makes me feel more secure. Yes, I know I am not making sense, because the ARS of the BMW sport package is amazing, and the BMW RWD handles and grips the road better than any car in the market. However, I still feel more secure in AWD vehicles, because when that bad weather road condition does come, the AWD will have better traction, at least that is how I perceive it.

As you can see, I am exactly the type of consumer that auto makers are targeting with AWD. Now, before I get flamed, I can assure you I am not alone. Obviously, there are a huge amount of consumers who feel the same way. Just look at how many Auto Makers have gone to AWD over the past five years. Just look at how many more are coming out with AWD. There will always be a RWD market, simply because the "pure" performance people will always demand it. However, In my humble opinion, due to the reasons I have listed, I believe AWD will become the Standard more than the exception. And, I believe it will be in the very near future, lets say within the next three to five years.

What do you folks think? Opinions?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

Maybe. After all I have two AWD vehicles (one is an AWD/4WD) but that's because both my wife and I have jobs that require we be at work regardless of the weather. But I also have a RWD.

I won't get another FWD if I can avoid it. My first choice will always be RWD and AWD second. There is lots of parasitic loss with AWD and it's not as efficient as a RWD vehicle. You also introduce lots of weight to an AWD vehicle. And then there is the added cost. So it's not all fun and games with AWD's. So while I think we'll see more AWD's I don't think it will spell the end of 2WD. I think as gas prices increase and people turn away from SUVs (or wannabe SUVs) they'll move to AWD cars, wagons and vans as an option. I don't think it will be a standard but rather a more common option.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

If I knew I would never drive on snow I don't know why I would want all-wheel drive. But I do, often, so I do. BMW's system isn't even on all the time I don't think, only when you need it. All AWD does is get you through snow, especially uphill. It won't keep you from flying into the trees if you take a corner too fast, and you won't stop any faster (we all have four-wheel brakes). And I doubt if it help dry handling at all. But it's really worth it in snow.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='218143' date='Jan 1 2006, 11:41 PM
I have never owned an AWD vehicle, but sometimes I feel like going that route. And, the crazy thing is, I live in California! But, the thought of AWD makes me feel more secure. Yes, I know I am not making sense, because the ARS of the BMW sport package is amazing, and the BMW RWD handles and grips the road better than any car in the market. However, I still feel more secure in AWD vehicles, because when that bad weather road condition does come, the AWD will have better traction, at least that is how I perceive it.

As you can see, I am exactly the type of consumer that auto makers are targeting with AWD. Now, before I get flamed, I can assure you I am not alone. Obviously, there are a huge amount of consumers who feel the same way. Just look at how many Auto Makers have gone to AWD over the past five years. Just look at how many more are coming out with AWD. There will always be a RWD market, simply because the "pure" performance people will always demand it. However, In my humble opinion, do to the reasons I have listed, I believe AWD will become the Standard more than the exception. And, I believe it will be in the very near future, lets say within the next three to five years.

I think AWD will always attract a certain segment but I don't think it will be become the STD. AWD is nothing new for the performance sedan crowd. Audi has always been there for us with a great quatrro system and they're not eating BMW's lunch. Subaru re-defined its strategy to capture the AWD crowd in the early 90's for regular sedan (even pre Outback days) when it abandoned FWD all together. While it helped differentiate the brand, I don't see them eating all the market share with many to follow. I think AWD will always resonate with a sizable segment, particularly those in colder climates that don't care to put on snow tires. There will still be people like myself who have lived in snow belts all of my life who will still put on snow tires or us alternate transportation for bad weather. I've own a AWD SUV and had owned AWD Subaru's and frankly can't tell much difference in winter driving from my RWD 545i with snows.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='218143' date='Jan 1 2006, 10:41 PM

As you can see, I am exactly the type of consumer that auto makers are targeting with AWD. Now, before I get flamed, I can assure you I am not alone. Obviously, there are a huge amount of consumers who feel the same way. Just look at how many Auto Makers have gone to AWD over the past five years. Just look at how many more are coming out with AWD. There will always be a RWD market, simply because the "pure" performance people will always demand it. However, In my humble opinion, due to the reasons I have listed, I believe AWD will become the Standard more than the exception. And, I believe it will be in the very near future, lets say within the next three to five years.

I don't know about it becoming the standard, but the days of AWD being promoted for bad weather only are over. Once you understand how the best systems such as xDrive operate, you also begin to see the advantages of them on dry pavement. Many ultra high performance cars are only made with AWD. Best example is the Bugatti Veyron....1000 hp, $1.25 million.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Contributors

I am expecting to get my 525xi delivered in February, and did not even consider 2WD cars when shopping for the new one. My current car is also AWD (Volvo S60) and I just love it in winter conditions. I am naturally biased because I live in a country where you can experience snow and ice about 4 months of the year (mid November - mid March). In winter conditions there is HUGE difference between 2WD and AWD even when using studded snow tires. In Finland snow tires (either studded or non-studded, but real snow tires anyway) are mandated by law between Dec 1st and Feb 28th.

I think AWD is similar to automatic transmission: Once you adopt it you never want a car without it. Happened to me at least. I will not go back to 2WD unless the greenhouse effect seriously heats up the climate in Finland, which is unlikely in my lifetime...

The value-add of AWD to me is increased by the fact that my house is in a residential area where about 50 houses are staggered on the side of a hill with some fairly steep road sections here and there. Looks nice, but causes challenges in the winter. Just recently we had a small snow blizzard with temps just at the freezing point. One of my neighbors who lives even higher on the hill could not get to his house with his FWD Volvo V70 with winter tires (non-studded though). Had to park his car and wait for the snow plow truck with sand sprinkler to appear a few hours later.

I also recently checked the car registration stats for the past 4 months here in Finland. Approximately 25% of E60s are sold with AWD. With Audi A6 the AWD share was about 35%. They have longer history in AWD, and are seen more as a quattro-brand.