E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you like your 520d?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

I like my 520d every day more and more
On the performance topic I can say that I never regretted the steptronic (on the contrary) and I doubt if one can outperform with a manual stick on a consistent basis.
You just need to floor it whilst you can keep both hands on the steering wheel and focus on the road - to outperform just slightly, you need to cough up a lot of work !! even the step allows manual shifting and I must admit I only use the S when I anticipate an acceleration and the manual i mostly use for engine break
On the engine, yes, more power is always more fun, but in the wallet it also means less fun - an individual balance one has to make
fully agree with tegel - go for those cool options

if you like some feedback, just search the forum on keyword 520d and you'll find an elaborate feedback already and in my experience of 22000km and 9 months it is all still very valid
Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='367852' date='Dec 15 2006, 06:27 PM
Now when the facelift will happen in March the eco-thing would be to get the 520dA.

The new engine will have 130 kW (177 hp) and some 350 Nm (?) of torgue.

You guys who have a 520d(A), please tell me about your experiences, pros and cons.

Thanks!
wonder if a retroit is available
Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='368137' date='Dec 16 2006, 01:37 PM
wonder if a retroit is available
I asked the same question to my dealer and his response was something along the lines of "um, erm... we'll see". I interpretted that to mean "no"! Who know's what they all change on the car to handle the extra power and torque. If it was a simple re-map, then maybe you could twist a dealers arm to do it. But I think that's pretty unrealistic, because it could complicate the whole maintenance side of things by having cars under warranty with non-standard specs.

Through the low leasing value of the 2.0d engine with manual transmission, I was able to load my 520d full of options. And we all know how great a well equiped E60 is. That for me personally was the real value add of the 520d vs other more expensive models such as the 525d. So as Tegel wrote earlier, make sure you load her up with options!

After 31.000KM since July this year, this is my "critical" verdict on the engine:

The negatives (IMHO):
1) Engine sound at low speeds with higher revs and when the stereo is off
At higher speeds, wind noise and tyre roll noise simply drown out any engine sound - so no problem. When the stereo (Logic7 ) is on, then it is not an issue anyway! So the only negative for me is specifically only when the stereo is off or at a very quite level, which is not often, travelling at up to about 60km/h with higher revs, and the engine just somehow does not sound right for the car - very subjective/individual I know, so maybe not an issue for others.

2) Performance at high speed (190+KM/H - 120+MPH)
This is probably (?!) more relevant for those in Germany. A car in this class should be able to leave the Gold TDI / Audi A4 TDI brigade standing. Even though the top speed of the 520d is higher, you need a lot of space to get past these kinds of cars - and believe me, if they think they can give a big BMW a race, they will! These drivers/situations are just irritating/frustrating and simply not something you have to deal with in a 530d, which I have also tested at these speeds.

The positives (IMHO):
1) All round good performance
That is everyone's prime concern - is the "little" 2.0d E60 going to be quick enough! Hey, we want a dynamic and quick car, so its only right to think that. I was positively surprised at the car's performance, and with the exception of acceleration at very high speed, the car is a lively performer and has enough power and torque on tap for all driving situations. I have also driven the 330d and the 530d over some distance, and did not feel as though they were a long long way ahead in performance - even if the 330d did "feel" like a rocket.

2) Engine noise in general
As others have written, the limited engine noise is very good and I regularly get complements on how quiet the car is.
I know I wrote a negative about this, but I must say it is really only an issue FOR ME under those specific conditions. The rest of the time, I do not notice it.

As for Riracings original question, I think the new engine will perform better in general and at higher speed for the simple reason it will have more power and torque.

The engine noise is obviously very subjective; I sometimes have issue with it under certain circumstances, however almost everyone who drives with me compliments the car on how quiet it is!

The real winner with the 520d is the overall package vs. cost. If you are interested in performance and not bothered about options, then go for an "empty" 530d. As always, its a question of budget. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the auto, however believe it would suite the car well. I went for the manual due to personal preference and more competitive leasing rate.

I love driving my car, love looking at it, and love sitting in it. It's just all good!

Cheers
Old 12-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Completely agree with xBMWx.

As to the engine sound, I think it is a matter of getting used to it and bored of it. It was the same in my previous 525i....first I liked the sound, then after some time, I started to think it was too loud etc.

The 520d is very good unless travelling at very high speed according to above. It's not faster than most cars are but the package is outstanding, there is more to a car than speed and this time I went with options over speed. Happy I did!

/M

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='368160' date='Dec 16 2006, 04:58 PM
I asked the same question to my dealer and his response was something along the lines of "um, erm... we'll see". I interpretted that to mean "no"! Who know's what they all change on the car to handle the extra power and torque. If it was a simple re-map, then maybe you could twist a dealers arm to do it. But I think that's pretty unrealistic, because it could complicate the whole maintenance side of things by having cars under warranty with non-standard specs.

Through the low leasing value of the 2.0d engine with manual transmission, I was able to load my 520d full of options. And we all know how great a well equiped E60 is. That for me personally was the real value add of the 520d vs other more expensive models such as the 525d. So as Tegel wrote earlier, make sure you load her up with options!

After 31.000KM since July this year, this is my "critical" verdict on the engine:

The negatives (IMHO):
1) Engine sound at low speeds with higher revs and when the stereo is off
At higher speeds, wind noise and tyre roll noise simply drown out any engine sound - so no problem. When the stereo (Logic7 ) is on, then it is not an issue anyway! So the only negative for me is specifically only when the stereo is off or at a very quite level, which is not often, travelling at up to about 60km/h with higher revs, and the engine just somehow does not sound right for the car - very subjective/individual I know, so maybe not an issue for others.

2) Performance at high speed (190+KM/H - 120+MPH)
This is probably (?!) more relevant for those in Germany. A car in this class should be able to leave the Gold TDI / Audi A4 TDI brigade standing. Even though the top speed of the 520d is higher, you need a lot of space to get past these kinds of cars - and believe me, if they think they can give a big BMW a race, they will! These drivers/situations are just irritating/frustrating and simply not something you have to deal with in a 530d, which I have also tested at these speeds.

The positives (IMHO):
1) All round good performance
That is everyone's prime concern - is the "little" 2.0d E60 going to be quick enough! Hey, we want a dynamic and quick car, so its only right to think that. I was positively surprised at the car's performance, and with the exception of acceleration at very high speed, the car is a lively performer and has enough power and torque on tap for all driving situations. I have also driven the 330d and the 530d over some distance, and did not feel as though they were a long long way ahead in performance - even if the 330d did "feel" like a rocket.

2) Engine noise in general
As others have written, the limited engine noise is very good and I regularly get complements on how quiet the car is.
I know I wrote a negative about this, but I must say it is really only an issue FOR ME under those specific conditions. The rest of the time, I do not notice it.
As for Riracings original question, I think the new engine will perform better in general and at higher speed for the simple reason it will have more power and torque.

The engine noise is obviously very subjective; I sometimes have issue with it under certain circumstances, however almost everyone who drives with me compliments the car on how quiet it is!

The real winner with the 520d is the overall package vs. cost. If you are interested in performance and not bothered about options, then go for an "empty" 530d. As always, its a question of budget. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the auto, however believe it would suite the car well. I went for the manual due to personal preference and more competitive leasing rate.
I love driving my car, love looking at it, and love sitting in it. It's just all good!

Cheers
Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Hmm, I'm clearly in the minority here, but when I had a 520D as a loaner I noticed the drop in power from my 530D a lot.

I also felt it was much harsher.

Sorry guys, just MHO.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='367852' date='Dec 15 2006, 07:27 PM
Now when the facelift will happen in March the eco-thing would be to get the 520dA.

The new engine will have 130 kW (177 hp) and some 350 Nm (?) of torgue.

You guys who have a 520d(A), please tell me about your experiences, pros and cons.

Thanks!
My advice: After your 6 inline, don't go for 4 cyl. engine, you should go for the 2.5 / 6 inline diesel engine. I thing it is a much smoother ride.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

I took my 530d (with re-map) on a 70 mile trip at 65 mph and got 54.9 mpg. Ave is still 33 and I blow away most 70 - 140 (590 Nm)

However, it costs 7K more than the 520d but I will be in a Mondeo in 3 years as this is my mid life fling.

Most day to day driving, the engine sounds smooth and mean but it is too embarrasing to floor it (6.2 to 60), enjoy the E60 in any form, I just want the M5
Old 12-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='368198' date='Dec 16 2006, 08:04 PM
My advice: After your 6 inline, don't go for 4 cyl. engine, you should go for the 2.5 / 6 inline diesel engine. I thing it is a much smoother ride.

That's a very valid point you make there Nick. I came from an E46 320d M-Sport, so did not have to make any sacrifices on the refinement front.

By March next year, the 525d will come with the 3.0d engine, capped at around 200hp. A colleague of mine has the 325d, which has the 3.0d 200hp engine, and is really impressed with the refinement of the engine.

@Riracing
Maybe worth test driving the 325d and a 520d to get a feel for the engine refinement compares? Or just wait for the new 525d to come out.
If you are interested in fuel economy etc., the 325d figures should give you a good feel for what to expect in the E60. I would expect them to be better than the current 525d, simply because of the engine improvements in general.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368135' date='Dec 16 2006, 12:34 PM
Agreed that automatic cars are in the minority in the UK when considering all makes and models.

There are, however, models/ranges of car where manual gearboxes are rare. That could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

ABC
yep, certainly the case with Mercs for example. All the motoring press ive seen in the UK says get an auto merc cos 1. the manuals are bad boxes and 2. how the heck else do you start on a hill with the daft parking brake style they fit?

Thing with the 520d thou, is the auto box makes a nonsense of the diesel. You get a diesel primarily for the economy, then put an auto on it and knock it back to about what you would have got from a petrol, and pay huge company car tax due to higher emissions.

Perhaps the emergence of cars in the range like the 520d will alter the ratio.

Its probably changed now, but when my e46 was new, BMWs most common car in the UK was the 318i. A pretty nasty thing to do to this 118hp car would be to put an auto on it - get out and push would be quicker!

cheers

steve
Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368266' date='Dec 17 2006, 12:41 AM
You get a diesel primarily for the economy
Ah yes. Must remember that!

ABC

Quick Reply: Do you like your 520d?