E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you like your 520d?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Now when the facelift will happen in March the eco-thing would be to get the 520dA.

The new engine will have 130 kW (177 hp) and some 350 Nm (?) of torgue.

You guys who have a 520d(A), please tell me about your experiences, pros and cons.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

How can we have one if its not available until march?

Mine is 11 days old - ask specific questions and i will give specific answers. I cant for instance say how much better or worse it is than other models as this is the only one ive got!

cheers

steve
Old 12-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

The only thing I don't like is the sound of the engine, but no-one else who rides in the car seem to bother. Most people actually compliment the quietness. Otherwise it's remarkably good, even compared to the e39. Compared to most (all?) other cars it's outstanding.

Be sure to order as many cool options you can afford.

Good luck!

/M

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='367852' date='Dec 15 2006, 06:27 PM
Now when the facelift will happen in March the eco-thing would be to get the 520dA.

The new engine will have 130 kW (177 hp) and some 350 Nm (?) of torgue.

You guys who have a 520d(A), please tell me about your experiences, pros and cons.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

I just had an 06 520d on loan for 3 days whilst my 530i received a new steering column adjustment kit (mine broke 4 days ago). Whilst the 520d is not as refined as my 530i; it is by no means slouch. It is very quiet for a diesel, and its performance left me VERY surprised. Best of all, it averaged 26 mpg for those three days of driving in congested London - just to compare - my 530i returns 18/19 mpg.

My $0.02
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

Yeap I hate the engine sound too but no one seems to be bothered
Old 12-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

COMPARED TO ANY OTHER 2L DIESEL I'VE EVER DRIVEN MY 520D IS JUST AMAZING HOWEVER THE QUESTION IS HOW IT COMPARES TO OTHER BIGGER ENGINED E60S- I OPTED FOR A MANUAL IN AN EFFORT TO REDUCE FUEL CONSUMPTION AND PROVIDE BETTER RESPONSES FROM THE 2L ENGINE HOWEVER I MUST ADMIT THERE WAS NO 520D AUTO AVAILABLE TO TEST BEFORE I BOUGHT. I AVERAGE 33MPG IN MOSTLY CITY DRIVING HOWEVER FIRST IS VERY SHORT, PROBABLY THE SAME / SIMILAR RATIO TO THE AUTO HOWEVER YOU NOTICE IT MORE IF YOU HAVE TO SHIFT OUT OF IT YOURSELF. YOU GET USED TO THE ENGINE NOISE AND IT IS NEVER UNREFINED JUST DIFFERENT. APART FROM THE INITIAL COST IN IRELAND I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO JUSTIFY THE RUNNING COSTS OF A 530D (525D NOT MUCH OF A STEP UP FROM 520D) IN THIS COUNTRY PURCHASE TAXES EQUATE TO ALMOST 50% OF PURCHASE PRICE AND THEN WE HAVE ANNUAL ROAD TAX BASED ON ENGINE SIZE. THEN THERE IS THE FUEL CONSIDERATION.

I APPRECIATE THE E60 IS A PERFORMANCE ORIENTATED CAR HOWEVER IN NORMAL DAY TO DAY USE IT IS THE AESTHETICS , BUILD QUALITY AND DYNAMICS THAT IMPRESS. LIKE THE UK OUR ROADS ARE BECOMING LITTERED WITH SPEED CAMERAS AND THERE ARE FEWER AND FEWER PLACES TO USE THE CAR'S PERFORMANCE THEREFORE 520D IS PERFECTLY ADEQUATE AND HERE REPRESENTS EXCELLENT VALUE (RELATIVELY SPEAAKING) IN MSPORT GUISE @ c.EUR60k.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Members

Do not hesitate in getting that engine with an auto box it is really good.
A good friend of mine has a 530da and he was really supirsed by how quiet and smooth the 2.0 is.

I had a traffic light race last night, mine v's a 525d manual and there wasn't much in it up to 60mph and then he started to creeep ahead.

I am averaging 43mpg as well which is brilliant.

I had a 320d se loan car the other day and I am so glad I got the 5, it is a lot queiter and smoother so just get it ordered no questions asked!
You know it makes sense
Old 12-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='367909' date='Dec 15 2006, 02:48 PM
How can we have one if its not available until march?

Mine is 11 days old - ask specific questions and i will give specific answers. I cant for instance say how much better or worse it is than other models as this is the only one ive got!

cheers

steve
COMPARED TO ANY OTHER 2L DIESEL I'VE EVER DRIVEN MY 520D IS JUST AMAZING HOWEVER THE QUESTION IS HOW IT COMPARES TO OTHER BIGGER ENGINED E60S- I OPTED FOR A MANUAL IN AN EFFORT TO REDUCE FUEL CONSUMPTION AND PROVIDE BETTER RESPONSES FROM THE 2L ENGINE HOWEVER I MUST ADMIT THERE WAS NO 520D AUTO AVAILABLE TO TEST BEFORE I BOUGHT. I AVERAGE 33MPG IN MOSTLY CITY DRIVING HOWEVER FIRST IS VERY SHORT, PROBABLY THE SAME / SIMILAR RATIO TO THE AUTO HOWEVER YOU NOTICE IT MORE IF YOU HAVE TO SHIFT OUT OF IT YOURSELF. YOU GET USED TO THE ENGINE NOISE AND IT IS NEVER UNREFINED JUST DIFFERENT. APART FROM THE INITIAL COST IN IRELAND I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO JUSTIFY THE RUNNING COSTS OF A 530D (525D NOT MUCH OF A STEP UP FROM 520D) IN THIS COUNTRY PURCHASE TAXES EQUATE TO ALMOST 50% OF PURCHASE PRICE AND THEN WE HAVE ANNUAL ROAD TAX BASED ON ENGINE SIZE. THEN THERE IS THE FUEL CONSIDERATION.

I APPRECIATE THE E60 IS A PERFORMANCE ORIENTATED CAR HOWEVER IN NORMAL DAY TO DAY USE IT IS THE AESTHETICS , BUILD QUALITY AND DYNAMICS THAT IMPRESS. LIKE THE UK OUR ROADS ARE BECOMING LITTERED WITH SPEED CAMERAS AND THERE ARE FEWER AND FEWER PLACES TO USE THE CAR'S PERFORMANCE THEREFORE 520D IS PERFECTLY ADEQUATE AND HERE REPRESENTS EXCELLENT VALUE (RELATIVELY SPEAAKING) IN MSPORT GUISE @ c.EUR60k.

steve. is yours a manual or auto?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='368132' date='Dec 16 2006, 11:59 AM
steve. is yours a manual or auto?
Mine is a manual. As im doing 100 miles commute a day, the fuel figures of 49mpg for manual are more attractive than the 42mpg quoted for the auto version.

As im UK based, this is no big deal as UK cars are 90% manual anyway, and ive only had two auto cars in my life. Those, and the ones ive rented always seem to dull down the performance - you dont seem to get the 'snap' from the accelleration. This would be different if you are driving a 330d or a 550i, but im not.....

I did test drive an auto 525d as they didnt have a 520d at my dealer. The 525 was an auto, and to me sounded thrashy and very diesel, due to the higher revs an auto tends to pull. I wouldnt say my 520d was as quiet or refined as my renault laguna, and it doesnt pull low revs as well. But, there is a 30% power increase, and a little less flexibility is a small benefit. For example, on a renault 1.9d, you can pull 40 mph in top, and it will pull smoothly away. The 520d needs around 1500 rpm on the tacho to be smooth. Below that in say 6th, the car booms and vibrates. Pulling 1200 in top gear just isnt possible. To me it revs more like a petrol car in comparison (often around 2k rpm, when the renault would have been 1500 normally). Having said that, the 520d has more power and still gets better economy than the renault!

This is a good engine - its better than the 150hp one I has in a two year old 3 series tourer. That seemed to have low torque on launch and tended to stall, and had pronounced turbo lag. The 520d has strong off the line torque, and a responsive turbo, that feels like you dont have one.

cheers

steve
Old 12-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368134' date='Dec 16 2006, 12:28 PM
As im UK based, this is no big deal as UK cars are 90% manual anyway
Agreed that automatic cars are in the minority in the UK when considering all makes and models.

There are, however, models/ranges of car where manual gearboxes are rare. That could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

ABC

Quick Reply: Do you like your 520d?