E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you have the "auto-lock" option checked?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

Hello everyone -

I was just reading a forum discussion on feautres that people would like to see on the next 3 series and a large topic was the 'double pull' action to open a locked door from the inside. To those who have the doors automatically lock, you are most likely used to pulling the handle twice (as I am) and I prefer to have the doors locked when i drive. I had the iDrive 'lock doors after driving' option checked until I realized that all the friends of mine who rode in my car would think that they hadn't pulled hard enough and would keep pulling the handle. I'm afraid that the handle will tear off! I don't blame them, however, because it's a natural tendence for those who aren't familiar with BMWs.

Is this something I should be worried about? A couple times people really pulled the handle so hard I literally thought it was about to break.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Are sure everyone in your car is a willing passenger?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya i dont get people... it doesnt take that much effort to unlatch the door latch. Pulling harder wont help. Some people are just dense.

I have that option checked. I love how it locks after you get moving and how you do the double pull to unlock. its just perfect to me. Other manufactures like Toyota where it locks RIGHT after you shift out of park is retarded. I always have to unlock the doors for passengers to get in. and unlocking RIGHT when you shift into park is retarded cuz sometimes I am still sittin in the car after I shut down the engine and I dont want my doors unlocked.

What I do is when i have passengers who are not familiar with German design is I try to remember to unlock the doors right when I am pulling to the stall to avoid all the pulling and yanking.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1027230' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:29 PM
What I do is when i have passengers who are not familiar with German design is I try to remember to unlock the doors right when I am pulling to the stall to avoid all the pulling and yanking.
thats a good idea, thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1027230' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:29 PM
I began doing that right before I got impatient and just unchecked the box. But I realyl do prefer to have the doors lock while driving so maybe I'll just be on my toes and remember to use the central locking button so they don't break my crap.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

Well, when I'm home and have people with me, they ride around enough with me to be easy with the handles and pull twice. The first few times they messed up, but after that they either wait for me to press the central lock button (which I use only when others are around, I'm fine with double pulls) or they know.."hey, just pull twice and I'm out."
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

I didn't, then iceman yelled at me now I do.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I will admit to having more than one senior moment in my life, like last week. I was driving in a part of town where I wanted to have my doors locked and for the life of me I could not find the button to lock them. I knew there was a way in iDrive to have them lock automatically so I activated it. I came from an E36 so I had looked all over the console, all over the door itself and didn't know where else to look. Who would have thought to look at the center vent for a door lock button.
I will leave the function on and just try to remember to unlock for passengers.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by acorradi87' post='1027222' date='Oct 7 2009, 06:22 PM
Hello everyone -

I was just reading a forum discussion on feautres that people would like to see on the next 3 series and a large topic was the 'double pull' action to open a locked door from the inside. To those who have the doors automatically lock, you are most likely used to pulling the handle twice (as I am) and I prefer to have the doors locked when i drive. I had the iDrive 'lock doors after driving' option checked until I realized that all the friends of mine who rode in my car would think that they hadn't pulled hard enough and would keep pulling the handle. I'm afraid that the handle will tear off! I don't blame them, however, because it's a natural tendence for those who aren't familiar with BMWs.

Is this something I should be worried about? A couple times people really pulled the handle so hard I literally thought it was about to break.
I use the auto-lock feature for safety reasons and regular passengers know about the double-pull ,but with people who don't,I just press the unlock button on the dash, it's so easy.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1027365' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:14 PM
Well, when I'm home and have people with me, they ride around enough with me to be easy with the handles and pull twice. The first few times they messed up, but after that they either wait for me to press the central lock button (which I use only when others are around, I'm fine with double pulls) or they know.."hey, just pull twice and I'm out."
+1

As they're about to pull the handle, I say "two pulls; it's a German thing" and off we go. The next time and after, they remember to pull twice.

Cal

Quick Reply: Do you have the "auto-lock" option checked?