E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have any experience with tire sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My driver's side front and rear tires must have some kind of small leak in them because they each lose about 10psi after about 10 days.

I thought about using tire sealant, but is it safe to use on our cars? Mine doesn't have TPMS but it does detect when the tire is flat.

What do you guys think?

Also, what's a good tire sealant? I'm debating between Slime or Ultra Seal.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by neoe60
My driver's side front and rear tires must have some kind of small leak in them because they each lose about 10psi after about 10 days.

I thought about using tire sealant, but is it safe to use on our cars? Mine doesn't have TPMS but it does detect when the tire is flat.

What do you guys think?

Have both tires looked at by a professional.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Have both tires looked at by a professional.

Agreed.Tire sealant is for emergency, last resort use only, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
hks
Members

My Ride: E60 550i Sport

been using these for quite a while now cuz i have no spare...If you read carefully, you will see on plenty of them that they are safe to use with sensors
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 525i

Originally Posted by neoe60

What do you guys think?

This is not an uncommon problem and is often caused by corrosion on the alloy wheel inner rim. Corrosions causes an inconsistent and uneven mating surface resulting in very small air leaks. The solution is to have the tyres removed and resealed, if necessary cleaning up the rim. There is definitely room for improvement in the quality of some of BMW's alloy wheels, not only do they crack they can also corrode
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

is ur valve stem leaking?. i had a valve stem that was stuck and pissing air very very slowly. a few bux at autozone got a new tool and valve core
Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by markrl
This is not an uncommon problem and is often caused by corrosion on the alloy wheel inner rim. Corrosions causes an inconsistent and uneven mating surface resulting in very small air leaks. The solution is to have the tyres removed and resealed, if necessary cleaning up the rim. There is definitely room for improvement in the quality of some of BMW's alloy wheels, not only do they crack they can also corrode
+1.
I have this problem on my Audi allroad. I'm told the corrosion is accelerated by the Magnesium Chloride that Colorado puts on the roads as a de-icer.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hks
been using these for quite a while now cuz i have no spare...If you read carefully, you will see on plenty of them that they are safe to use with sensors
So, you have used Slime and/or UltraSeal without any adverse effects?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markrl
I'll have to take it into a tire center and have them check it out. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Members

tire sealant is temporary only, flammable, and causes the tires to be out of balance. not to mention it makes a huge mess inside the tire/rim and most shops will charge extra to clean all that crap out of the rim

Quick Reply: Do you have any experience with tire sealant?