E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008 | 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wees75' post='680815' date='Sep 29 2008, 03:21 PM
Off. I prefer to give focus to the angel eyes
Looks much better anyways.
Old 09-29-2008 | 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

This issue is a cultural issue. I found this artcle from a German BMW owner who's opinion mimicks that of Iceman's. I also found out that in many places in Europe cars with fog lights include rear fog lights as well. (you guys must have horrible fog). I don't use them regularly, if fact the only time I did use them was recently during the day at the Bear Mtn run. Some were a little too agressive in their lane changes and I wanted to make sure I was seen through someones sideview or rearview mirrors. Many people here do drive with them on but I don't recall getting bothered by it. In the US there are many street lights, traffic lights, security lights, and illuminated signs from businesses along the road. I think fog lights get lost in this collage of light.
I think the emotions here stems from that we American understand that you should be pissed about our disregard with our consumption of the earth's oil supply, or the fact that we are creating the highest levels of carbon dioxide in the world or the fact that we are in Iraq and will probably go to war with anyone for what seems the slightest provocation. The problem here is that this whole topic is too trivial. Lets get some better topics going!

__________________________________________________ _________________

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - A Rant About Fog Lights
It's November in central Germany (and coincidentally, in most other parts of the world, too), and that means rain and cooler temperatures. It also means that the temperature and the dew point are converging more frequently, resulting in significant ground fog.

Last winter, we did a poll over at the M3 Forum in which we learned that over 50% of participating M3 owners (overwhelmingly from the U.S.A.) either turned their fog lights on all of the time, or almost always in conjunction with their use of normal headlights at night. In other words, they were habitually being used as a form of supplemental lighting, and little -- if any -- thought was really being given to their use. All of this begs the question: what's the big deal?

Well, perhaps this isn't a big deal after all. That said, I wanted to pass along a few thoughts on the topic as it takes on even greater seasonal relevance. Many visitors appreciate knowing more about the driving environment in which these cars are made to run (Germany), so I raise the issue simply to educate interested drivers. As with any other issue, once you've considered the facts, you can make a more informed decision, either pro or con.

So, how do the Germans do things? Simple. In Germany, the law states that fog lights (Nebelscheinwerfer) are never to be used unless visibility from an actual obscuration is down to 50 meters or less. The fine for noncompliance is a relatively modest one, but the purpose of the legislation is to prevent unnecessary light pollution on the roadways as well as to enhance safety.

By and large, it is unusual to see someone driving around with their fog lights on in Germany (even in what some might consider a heavy fog), as most drivers take the 50 meter visibility standard pretty seriously. When you do see them, it is typically an American G.I. who has turned on both the front and rear fog lights on his well-used Euro spec BMW. (This is generally done out of ignorance, as most don't even realize they have a rear fog light.)

America is, of course, a whole different ball game. Just 20 years ago, relatively few U.S. cars (usually imports) came equipped with fog lights. Most buyers had little actual need for this equipment, but over time it came to be considered a very prestigious option to have. Of course, the phenomenon really took off about 10 years ago, when domestic manufacturers began adding fog lights to more and more of their home-grown models. Today, it is almost unusual to find a car that isn't equipped with some form of secondary illumination, and therein lies the rub. Lacking a clear standard, the rule of thumb on U.S. roadways seems to be if you've got them, turn them on. Having experienced both the European and American driving environments (I'm speaking primarily of nighttime driving here), I have to say that the difference is rather profound.

You might find this a trivial matter, or simply be unwilling to consider changing your habits in the face of what has become such common practice. If so, then the rest of this particular blog entry won't be of much interest to you. Thanks for visiting, and I hope to see you back here again soon!

Now, as for the rest of you, think about it: unless you are traveling at a very low rate of speed, all a fog light shows you is what is about to pass directly under your front bumper. In a normal driving situation, it doesn't give you adequate time to avoid anything; all it does is brighten up areas in front of the car that you don't normally need to see to drive. Areas which, I would argue, don't much matter to begin with, or else headlights would be designed differently. It may be reassuring to have some fill-in lighting on a particularly dark stretch of road, but an honest man would have to agree that this serves no real purpose in normal driving conditions.

The bigger problem, however, is one of glare. Since fog lights put out highly focused light so close to the road surface, the reflective glare into the eyes of oncoming drivers is significant. Given that I am accustomed to the European standard, I find it rather inconsiderate and irrating, but I know this is usually borne of simple ignorance (as opposed to malicious intent), so I try not to get too excited about it. Still, depending upon the vehicle and the conditions, facing down a pair of fog lights (often with even more powerful "high output" aftermarket bulbs) can be downright disorienting. Right about here is where many drivers would try to insert the "well, people can see me better" defense, but in all honestly, I'm not sure that is what people have in mind when they say this. What good can possibly come from throwing all of that extra reflected light into someone else's face?

There is a very good reason why so many countries have laws governing the use of these lights, and we as Americans look rather ignorant when we march to a different drummer; especially when vanity is the motivation about 90% of the time. I don't bring it up as a "holier than thou" issue by any means, but rather as a lesson learned while living abroad. Something as simple as when and how you choose to use a fog light communicates something about you as a driver. Whether you ultimately choose to do anything differently or not, this is probably worth considering simply because (in my view), M3 owners have an obligation to be better drivers than the average Joe.

I'm not suggesting that anyone is to be looked down upon for their choices here; only you can determine what's right for your situation. I'm merely saying that it is probably worth asking one simple question before you mindlessly press the fog light button: "knowing what I know now, why am I about to turn these things on?"

End of rant. Thanks for listening ...
Old 09-29-2008 | 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='680819
__________________________________________________ _________________

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - A Rant About Fog Lights
End of rant. Thanks for listening ...

Nothing to add.
Old 09-29-2008 | 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Allen' post='680773' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:00 AM
I didn't read all these threads, but here is my take. Personally, I turn ON my foglights in order to make my car more visible to other cars...when it's foggy or raining. The fog lights don't really help me to see better in fog or otherwise. Also, if others want to use them for "looking cool" purposes...that's fine with me...it's not my thing, but live and let live I say.
Your car will be plenty visible to other cars with only the regular low-beam headlights on. Adding the fog lights will not increase your car's visibility any more than it was with just the headlights, it will only help to [likely] dazzle other drivers and cause them to [probably] call you an unflattering name or two...

(note: you probably should read all the posts in this thread -- it may help you understand where so many of us are coming from...)
Old 09-29-2008 | 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='680472' date='Sep 28 2008, 08:07 PM
... how about all the retards that drive at night with just their parking lights on? Any thread for that?
Have you not seen an LCI driving in the dark of night with just the Angel Eyes and Eyebrows??

j/k, but not really.
Old 09-29-2008 | 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='680491' date='Sep 28 2008, 09:01 PM
Give me an....

A
Can I have an N, please, Pat?
Old 09-29-2008 | 07:24 AM
Contributors

i put them on only when its coming to the end of the day.. angle eyes and fog`s on.. but once its nite zeon and fogs off...
Old 09-29-2008 | 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

So this is the famous Fog Lights thread i've heard so much about.
Old 09-29-2008 | 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='680914' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:29 PM
So this is the famous Fog Lights thread i've heard so much about.

That's one of the many that were created back then.
The original two are closed.
Old 09-29-2008 | 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Iceman, he reported you?! HAHAHA...wow.
I didn't think a fellow e60 owner could be so idiotic. Did you ban that guy yet?

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?