E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i - Jet Black, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='30369' date='Sep 2 2004, 06:04 PM
It's NOT about taste!

They are there for safety reasons and they ARE annoying.
Since they are made for FOG, you just show that you don't know what they are there for and how to use them and your car correctly, when you allways have them on...
What's so annoying about them? People who forget to turn off their high-beams, now that's annoying.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Blast from the past! Great thread... I personally enjoyed reading a bit of history, and yes. I drive with them on only because it doesn't p.i.s.s off some drivers. :-) J/K!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dpark79' post='524533' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:16 PM
What's so annoying about them? People who forget to turn off their high-beams, now that's annoying.
It's been mentioned several times already in this thread. It's not about how bright they are, it's about the alignment. Normal headlights are aligned so they shine forwards, but also downwards and towards the edge of the road. This is so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers. High-beam, they point forward - notice how when you switch them on it doesn't just make the existing lights brighter, they light to the driver's side more and also higher up. Fog lights point forward and often slightly up - the idea is that they cut underneath the fog rather than reflecting off. So when you have fog lights on, on a straight road, they are often blinding to oncoming traffic. If you are travelling up a hill it's even worse.

Forgetting to turn off high beam is annoying, but forgivable because they've FORGOTTEN. E.g., it was accidental. Give the other driver a flash with your lights and they'll usually realise, switch them off, and say thanks. However, intentionally swiching on your fog lights to "look cool" without "giving a shit" about the welfare of other drivers, I would consider that more annoying... (and actually downright ignorant and rude).
Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Members

Foglight's sometime also called Corner Light. It helps me see where i'm gonna turn before I turn, so I got it on whenever my DRL comes on.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='524431' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:46 PM
Attachment 43631

But I think everyone knows my point of view allready.
Yep
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='524622' date='Jan 30 2008, 04:39 AM
Foglight's sometime also called Corner Light. It helps me see where i'm gonna turn before I turn, so I got it on whenever my DRL comes on.
Corner lights and foglights are completely different ...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I love my high beams. It's like creating a tunnel of light to heaven when I throw those bad boys on. Hahahahaha!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributors

I replaced my fog lights with PIAA ION's. They are very yellow and very bright and I only use them in inclement weather. I did this in my wife's X5 as well. They happen to look VERY cool but again, only when it is raining, snowing, or foggy.

All the best
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

As a relative newbie on here, I missed this post on it's original go-round - I voted "fogs off" because, as other's have said, they are "fog lights", not "look cool lights".

Many drivers around here run with the fogs on and there is no logic to it except the "look at me" factor (saw a crappy old Chev Cavalier with the fogs on yesterday, driver was a young girl, on the phone... - typical).
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Even though I've commented on this issue in the past (in multiple threads) and I'm sure I won't help put this issue to rest, here's the way I see it...

First of all, some facts:
  • Fog lights are designed for use in fog and other low-visibility situations where a reduced speed is necessary to maintain safe travel.
  • Front fog lights illuminate less in front of the car and more to the sides of the road.
  • Front fog lights are not Xenon or HID because the higher output "blue" shade of light is not as effective as a white, yellow, or amber light in foggy conditions.
  • Rear fog lights are designed to allow other traffic to see you from behind as they approach you.
  • In some countries, it is illegal to use fog lights when the conditions do not warrant their use.
  • The pupil in the human eye closes when ambient light levels increase.
  • Use of fog lights in normal driving conditions (no fog or reduced visibility) is a very controversial subject around the world.

Now for some opinions (that may be considered facts by some):
  • The low angle of attack of fog lights can cause a high reflection off of the road that can dazzle approaching drivers as they get closer to the light source. This reflection is magnified on a wet (more reflective) road.
  • Using rear fog lights in clear conditions is very annoying to cars following behind you.
  • BMW consciously changed the fog light switch from one that stays on all the time (until the driver turns it off) to one that turns itself off automatically when the car is turned off due to the abundance of drivers who were unknowingly causing a safety problem for other drivers and to help owners abide by local laws.
  • Claiming that using fog lights in clear conditions helps you see things in the periphery like deer, etc. is a misconception. The only way that the side illumination from fog lights would help spot a deer and still allow time to react would be if you were travelling less than 10 miles per hour (give or take a few mph.)
  • When driving at night, the more light available immediately in front of the car (not in the distance), the harder it is to see further down the road since the pupils of the human eye close and allow less light to enter the eye. (This is the same reason why you should always dim the instrument panel at night to decrease ambient light and allow your pupils to open more.)
  • Claiming that fog lights don't dazzle oncoming traffic just because they don't bother you personally when other people have them on does not mean they don't still dazzle people. If they didn't dazzle people at all, there wouldn't be laws on the books about proper use and there wouldn't be such controversy about the subject around the world.
  • Driving around with fog lights turned on under normal road conditions doesn't look as cool as some people think. It isn't 1980 anymore -- too many regular "uncool" cars have fog lights now so activating them unnecessarily doesn't add any coolness. If anything, it makes you look less cool.
  • There is a stereotype out there among the masses that BMW drivers are assholes because they drive too aggressively and often have their foglights on when it's not foggy.
  • Although I'd love to be wrong, nothing I say here will change the minds of the people who choose to drive with the fog lights on even when it's not foggy.

I'm sure I could go on and on but for now, I think it's pretty clear what I'm trying to say. Just for fun, take a look at what a lighting expert has to say about this subject: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/li.../fog_lamps.html
Also, here's a link to a page from a police site in the UK that addresses this issue: http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q400.htm

To prove how controversial a subject this is (as if anyone needs additional proof ), here are links to two different automotive related forums where this subject has come up:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-room/9...light-fuds.html
http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...howtopic=45582

Needless to say, when I Googled this, there were many, many more hits that yield similar discussions about the proper use of fog lights. Interestingly, I can't seem to find any lighting experts that take the position that using them in clear conditions is a good practice! (If someone can find one, I'd love to see it...)

Have fun everyone!

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?