E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do Others Target Your e60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.
Thumbs up

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean other drivers aren't out to get me.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in very aggressive (borderline sociopathic) driving by others since you got your e60? Maybe since this is my first "above average" worth vehicle I'm just sensitive, but it seems like every few days someone is very aggressive in lane changing, trying to squeeze into my lane by cutting me off, that type of thing. Yesterday, a woman in an older Jeep was barely parallel to my car and just started moving over right at me! I was reminded of Emo Fittipaldi's line "my car, she is not a ghost" but this woman clearly saw me, just figured I had to yield to her. It isn't just around here; I noticed it on my drive to NC last week.

I have NOT changed my driving style, if anything maybe I'm a little more laid back because it seems like everyone else wants to challenge me. I don't even have a vanity plate to set them off.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='321060' date='Aug 10 2006, 12:34 PM
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean other drivers aren't out to get me.
Yes they are. They're all out to get you. The shopping carts are too. They have little BMW magnets that pull them to your car -- and any other BMW parked in the lot. Cops will give you tickets because you drive a BMW. You're not paranoid. It's true. They're out to ruin your fun.

People are just bad drivers all the time. Maybe you notice it more. I have people try and run into me when I'm in my 1999 Land Rover Discovery (BIG and RED truck) when in parking lots. They act as if I came out of thin air. It used to happen in my M Roadster but I always thought it was because the car was small. But that's not the case with the Rover. People just can't drive and now you notice it more because of your new car.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='321067' date='Aug 10 2006, 06:42 PM
Yes they are. They're all out to get you. The shopping carts are too. They have little BMW magnets that pull them to your car -- and any other BMW parked in the lot. Cops will give you tickets because you drive a BMW. You're not paranoid. It's true. They're out to ruin your fun.

People are just bad drivers all the time. Maybe you notice it more. I have people try and run into me when I'm in my 1999 Land Rover Discovery (BIG and RED truck) when in parking lots. They act as if I came out of thin air. It used to happen in my M Roadster but I always thought it was because the car was small. But that's not the case with the Rover. People just can't drive and now you notice it more because of your new car.
how true that is
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='321067' date='Aug 10 2006, 11:42 AM
People just can't drive and now you notice it more because of your new car.
I take your point, but I don't mean just the normal really bad driving (which is worst in KS, BTW) but people actually going out of their way to attack!

I park out of range of the shopping cart magnets.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 AM
gpt
Senior Members

I too park in the furthest spot, away from the general public. The other day, I got off the train and walked up to my car. Someone had covered it with ketchup and mustard from a local MacDonalds, and I mean covered. To top it off, they ran a shopping cart into the front bumper causing deep scratching. I have to look at it as a positive experience, it gives me a reason to get the M-Aero package. Just have to wait a bit as 2 college tuitions are due shortly.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by gpt' post='321147' date='Aug 10 2006, 01:08 PM
I too park in the furthest spot, away from the general public. The other day, I got off the train and walked up to my car. Someone had covered it with ketchup and mustard from a local MacDonalds, and I mean covered. To top it off, they ran a shopping cart into the front bumper causing deep scratching. I have to look at it as a positive experience, it gives me a reason to get the M-Aero package. Just have to wait a bit as 2 college tuitions are due shortly.
That's brutal about the ketchup and mustard. I'd be furious. I've never experienced that.

After several valet parking accidental gouges on my bumpers, I just had them re-painted. They look good, I must say. All clean.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have not noticed it anything different in my E60 - but I am a pretty defensive driver just because there are so many bad drivers and people that don't care (especially in parking lots and staying out of blind spots - something I learned from riding a motorcycle).

It is one thing on the road, but the diliberate vandels just because you have a nice car really piss me off. I definately worry about where I park for door dings, shopping carts and keeping the car visable.

During a business trip, I had someone put a screw driver into my brand new 166m rims/tires while parked at a hotel. Luckily, they where not very good and only went through the heavy lip of the tire along the rim and hit the rim. I was wondering if I had pissed anyone off - but since I was in an unfamiliar area, I was not driving like an a$$. I think it was just the jealous thing.

I do worry more about driving aggressively, especially around town, as I think this opens you up for someone taking a key to your paint. I still have fun accelerating and cornering, but try not to cut people off.

On the brighter note, I have gotten more compliments on my e60 than any car in the past and I think, in general there are more people that appreciate fine autos than the those that don't.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gpt' post='321147' date='Aug 10 2006, 01:08 PM
Brutal. What causes people to do this?

I'm worried I won't be able to do anything once my kids are in school. Oh, well, another two years to spend.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Members

Those damm BMW drivers think they own the road!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='321278' date='Aug 11 2006, 12:33 AM
Those damm BMW drivers think they own the road!

We do, don't we?

Quick Reply: Do Others Target Your e60?