E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do NOT do this

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not alone!I did the same thing and it took me 2 hour's to remove the trunk finisher and sort it out!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

Some good tips no doubt will come in handy
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Happened to me. Closed the trunk at batteries plus to take old battery inside. Connect a battery booster or jump starter up front and it'll pop right open.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by turboawd
use jumper cables and connect to the battery terminals under the hood.
Yea I thought of that by my car was parked in the garage and there was no room for the other to get in. Would that have worked tho? Im not sure how the schematics of the power circuit goes for the car, but wouldn't there still be a broken path of electricity travel?

Ahh well. Problem solved. Still laughing at myself tho
Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

JR, I thought I had shared with you my story of when I did my cluster mod? In short, I closed my trunk, not thinking of what I was doing. At that time I didn't have a trunk finisher, but the key blade I have was not opening the trunk (wrong blade as it turns out). So as I was about to call a BMW dealership, Jorge and I said, f' it, let's try powering it externally.

That worked beautifully.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

good to know. I'll remember for next time.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributors

LoL good story JR cause that happend to me too when I and my friend were reconnecting pins in the LM. I shut my trunk didn't notice till later that I needed it open to plug battery back in and there was an trunk finisher in the way . I used my ski hole to pull the fold down seat lever, then from the trunk I used the emergency green triangle to pop open the trunk. I guess having a fold down seats is a plus I didn't know a lot of E60 folks don't have this feature, but it's great now I think about it.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Contributors

exactly what I was thinking
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devildawg712
Yea I thought of that by my car was parked in the garage and there was no room for the other to get in. Would that have worked tho?
Yeah, it will work. I disconnected the ground terminal on my battery (from the body of the car) when we were modding the instrument cluster and accidentally closed the trunk. Connecting another battery to the terminals under the hood of the car allowed us to get back into the trunk.

The worst was when I closed my carbon fiber trunk without re-connecting the wiring to the mechanism that releases the trunk lock. That sucked. Had to drill a hold in the carbon fiber trunk, look for the emergency release and pull it. The hole is 1" in diameter and still lives under my trunk finisher!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Cwest
LoL good story JR cause that happend to me too when I and my friend were reconnecting pins in the LM. I shut my trunk didn't notice till later that I needed it open to plug battery back in and there was an trunk finisher in the way . I used my ski hole to pull the fold down seat lever, then from the trunk I used the emergency green triangle to pop open the trunk. I guess having a fold down seats is a plus I didn't know a lot of E60 folks don't have this feature, but it's great now I think about it.
Like Jorge said, we've worked on 40-50 cars, and your's is the only one we've seen with fold down seats!