E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need A Underride Protection Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

My underride protection cover got missing long time ago, and I never thought about it. You know, old Japanese cars always run over 200k miles without it. Now couple mechanics mentioned it to me, and I find out it is worth $300 only for the cover.

Do we really need that cover? I live in California, the road doesn't get wet or rocky very often.....
Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by louisrai
My underride protection cover got missing long time ago, and I never thought about it. You know, old Japanese cars always run over 200k miles without it. Now couple mechanics mentioned it to me, and I find out it is worth $300 only for the cover.

Do we really need that cover? I live in California, the road doesn't get wet or rocky very often.....
The only thing the car MUST have is the stress plate underneath the engine. As far as the underride protection cover as long as you don't drive over anything that could damage wiring/hoses underneath the car your car will be fine. However, if it were my car I would replace it. Just for peace of mind that the car is ready to function as BMW designed it. For all we know there could be a certain rain or rock scenario where it would be very important.

That's my 2 cents, but really it comes down to how confident you are about never having something fly up under your car.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I had a similar dilemma. My bottom engine cover was slightly torn and the transmission cover went missing one rainy day when I drove over a deep puddle. My understanding is the covers are more for aerodynamics than anything else although they do help keep the underbody nice and clean for us guys that drive in shitty salt and snow covered roads in the north. I pulled the trigger and just bought the parts when BMW of Lincoln was offering free shipping as a new year's day promotion.

I decided to buy the covers more to keep the New England crude out. The pieces are just pressed plastic and some type of hard paper/cardboard so in terms of real protection from lets say hitting a raised manhole cover or something they don't offer anything.

I checked a few salvage yards online but had no luck. Apparently this things fly off the car at the slightest impact lol
If you do decide to buy them new check out bmwmercedesparts.com AKA BMW of Lincoln. Lowest dealer prices I've found.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

I'd buy it for protection during the winter. Also to keep things nice n clean
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Members

Missed an "n"...

Is it possible for me to DIY the replacement nice and strong enough? I mean if the cover is missing, the screws and caps should be missing too.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
jgt
Contributors

You can definitely DIY. Just put the front on jack stands and replace with a screwdriver.
The engine under body cover from the dealer comes with the blue screws/fasteners.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM
jgt
Contributors

Here is what I bought. It's some sort of plastic/paper composite and comes with the plastic blue fasteners.
Part #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=51&fg=75

It sounds like your car came with this piece by the way you are calling it. My guess made of some aluminum alloy. Not sure if this comes with the fasteners...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=75
Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

I dont and im pretty low in NYC, you risk damaging the Active steering unit and i pinched one of the hoses that goes thru my heat exchanger. GL
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Members

Actually I don't see part 8 in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=75

"AGGREGATE PROTECTION BOW" How the hell that got missing........
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
jgt
Contributors

My guess is you had the standard plastic cover that doesn't come with the bow.
I've never seen the "Poor Road Package". Do you know for sure your car came with it? It's not standard.
Looks pretty cool but I wouldn't spend the money. Maybe if I got it super cheap from a junked E60.

Quick Reply: Do I Need A Underride Protection Cover