E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do i need to change my brake Discs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='822017' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:45 AM
While your eyes may be perfect for judging beauty there are tools to correctly measure brake disc thickness and runout.

IMHO, A QUALIFIED mechanic will rely on those to determine when replacement is required.
+1
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 05-530i and 06 530xit

You will need to change your sensor, if you plan on reseting your service indicator in your i drive. If you attempt to reset your service indicator in your i-drive without a new sensor it will come up with service brake code. Nothing big about it, just very teadious.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakul' post='821901' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:49 AM
Will the on board service indicators tell me when it's absolutely necessary or should i take the dealer's word for it?

Any help or advice appreciated.
I would not trust the service indicator. It coould have been reset at any time...

Our e90 needs the rear brakes done. The remaining pad thickness is paper thin but the service indicator says 11K to go.

Visual inspection is the most reliable.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='821967' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:05 PM
Have you had the car since new as from what Ive read about this it seems the E60 goes through brake disks on the second set of pads(around 50-60k). Im wondering if thats the second set your car has had.
Dandle,

That was the second set of pads on the car. There are posts in the gallery regarding the minimum thickness of the discs, if you have a look you will see that BMW are suppose to measure the thickness and then advise on replacement.

Dom
Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='821963' date='Mar 20 2009, 07:50 AM
In my past experience, BMW brake discs should be replaced when their thickness was reduced to specific spec or when they are out of round (perform runout check or determined by brake pedal pulsation).

My BMW mechanics (dealers and independent) have consistently said, "Do not cut or turn BMW brake discs" - replace when worn or out of round.
BMW recommend brake skimming as a solution to many brake problems including vibration and to negate the bedding in period (skimmed discs provide a flat surface for the new pads to cause friction against). It is a BMW approved procedure which is ideal for low-cost repairs on vehicles and matching brake discs. Your BMW mechanics have consistently been making more money by fitting new discs when you still some meat left.

As for the original problem if you're not convinced about your dealership ask them for the measurements - what the discs were new, what they are now, and what the minimum thickness is. If they can't give you them go elsewhere and if they do ask an independent to measure your discs seperately and take action accordingly.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport titanium silver, black dakota leather, pro sat nav, bluetooth, heated seats, auto dim & folding mirrors

Thanks for all the replies to my original post. Just an update as to what happened at the dealer today. took it in for the brake fluid service and asked them to check the discs/pads. Turns out that the rear discs are on the wear limit and pads are on 5mm. There's plenty left on the front discs and the pads are at 11mm. Therefore I'm just getting the rears done.

Just goes to show that you should always ask for the measurements when they say you need the brakes done.

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Actually, I've noticed that the plastic that the sensor is made from becomes brittle over time. This is because it heats up and cools down a lot. The sensors "may" still need replacing, but not always. Dealers always replace the sensors. They make more money.

Cheers

virgil.

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='821903' date='Mar 20 2009, 07:07 PM
You shouldn't have to replace your sensors if they were never triggered that's BS. As for your brake pads... If you can't tell if their due yourself, you should take it to someone who can, that isn't going to lie to you to make money.

Another thing, they obviously aren't due if your sensors haven't triggered. But then again save yourself 80 bucks, and change them out before the sensors trigger is always a + in my book.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by jakul' post='821901' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:49 PM
My dealer says I need new discs all round. With pads and sensors I'm looking at a hefty bill.

Will the on board service indicators tell me when it's absolutely necessary or should i take the dealer's word for it?

Any help or advice appreciated.
I would take it to some more local shop and ask them to see if need changing if you think the dealer is going to rip you off.
check to see about how many mm are left on the pads and for the rotors it should be at lest 2 pads and 1 disk, no need to change disk evey time you change pads.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Members

Hi all!

I'm new here, but have been reading "all" posts for a while.
But i can't find the answer to my question....
That is: when I-drive tells me to take my car to "bmw" to replace brake pads, har the sesors been triggered or is this msg
triggere by milage?
My pads (the one's i can see (outside)has atleast 7-10mm left)

I'm Norwegian...sorry for my english spelling
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Balla' post='828411' date='Mar 28 2009, 03:36 AM
Hi all!

I'm new here, but have been reading "all" posts for a while.
But i can't find the answer to my question....
That is: when I-drive tells me to take my car to "bmw" to replace brake pads, har the sesors been triggered or is this msg
triggere by milage?
My pads (the one's i can see (outside)has atleast 7-10mm left)

I'm Norwegian...sorry for my english spelling
you still have alot left so no need to change yet.

Quick Reply: Do i need to change my brake Discs