E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do I have Xenons or Not??? LCI M SPort

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:18 AM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='478381' date='Oct 5 2007, 09:14 PM
Actually if you look closely it will read Xenon on the headlights. around... close to where the angel eye rings are...

And ya the glass looks like a glass marble... round... terminator eye

With the LCI ypu can't tell if it has xenons with the lights switched off, they all look the same. It seems like you doesn't have them since you have no washers, they are required by law on cars with xenon.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Members

I heard somewhere the headlight washers are required due to the intensity of the xenons. The lens covers need to stay as clean as possible to reduce refracted light that would result if they were dirty and could cause damage due to excessive heat.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

I'm afraid you don't have xenons, that's why you are finding the light output poor. On the pre-LCIs it was very clear, as in the picture posted above - xenons had the main beam ellipsoidal lens but halogens just had a kind of empty shell very much like the secondary bulb (main beam) in that same picture above. These units looked pretty cheap and the angel eyes did not show up very well which is why I opted for the xenons plus the fact they give fantastic light output on dip and main beam (just like daylight - well almost).

On the LCI models such as yours they improved the look of the standard halogen units by giving the main beam the "xenon look" with the ellipsoidal lens. The second main beam bulb unit is again the empty shell just like the pre-LCI xenon unit (picture above). I'm willing to bet that is what you have.

You can tell the LCI xenons by the headlight wash, no manual leveling wheel on the dashboard, ignition type switch-on, warm up delay and self leveling procedure on switching on. The second main beam bulb is also different on the LCI being of a complex lens structure ie. the lens unit is not clear that you can see inside including the bulb, the glass is kind of patterned as in the old fashioned headlights before clear lenses became fashionable.

So, in summary, you have halogens but luckily have the look of xenon which I guess BMW felt that the 5 series deserved even if everyone wasn't willing to spend the rather large sum on getting xenons as an option.

Enjoy your new car - they're great machines even down to the entry level engined 520d which we both have. Did you get the revised 2.0d engine with the increased power, better economy etc?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

So, I have Xenon 'look-a-like' low beams, that actually have halogen bulbs? Bizarre.

At least I can upgrade the bulbs to some higher output ones mentioned elsewhere in the forum. Have done this on previous E46 with great results.

Unfortunately my car doesn't have the new engine - only 163BHP. Am saving up for a trip to DMS!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

Originally Posted by artc' post='479098' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:41 AM
So, I have Xenon 'look-a-like' low beams, that actually have halogen bulbs? Bizarre.

At least I can upgrade the bulbs to some higher output ones mentioned elsewhere in the forum. Have done this on previous E46 with great results.

Unfortunately my car doesn't have the new engine - only 163BHP. Am saving up for a trip to DMS!
If yr car is 520i/523i LCI + no washer - then you dont have bulbs xenon lights. only the headlights look like from the exterior & in it normal halogen bulbs.
But in yr case ( as you have already the xenon form headlight), you can simply add an aftermarket xenon bulbs + its adaptor & kits . . . .
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Members

Add on aftermarket Xenon bulbs are not allowed in Europe from my knowledge for good reasons. Furthermore I would speculate how to get a highbeam with aftermarkets in the lamp housing. From my understanding original Xenons have a mechanical reflector that diverts part of the light for low beam down where it is not visible and allows the full flow of light on high beam by close that bypass duct mechanically.