E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME Self Restting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i
Default DME Self Restting

Hey, new here, can't seem to find any ifo on my issue anywhere.

My 2004 BMW 545i DME clears the emissions readiness states and any pending/intermittent codes whenever the ignition is turned off. I drive and set a number of them but then whenever it is turned off it erases. No starting or drive ability issues but I need to have readiness set for E-Test which I can't do as it keeps resetting itself.

I checked every fuse and relay that I could think of (trunk, glove box, e-box).

Have a brand new AGM battery that was registered with the vehicle.

Normally with any car you have to put the ignition to "on" to use a OBD reader while I can have the key completely removed and still scan all modules, not sure if this is normal on a E60 sure isn't the case on my X3.

Something wrong with DME or anyone have any idea how the Keep Alive Memory gets power to it?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 03-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Can you be more specific. What are you referring to "emission readiness states and pending intermittent codes?"
Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Here is a link that explains the monitors:
https://www.obdautodoctor.com/scanto...tors-explained

My issue is i am able to get 6/8 monitors "Ready" but then whenever the ignition is turned off they are lost, it goes to 3/8. Even before starting it always has 3/8 Monitors ready but it never saves more once complete.

There's a drive cycle procedure to get all monitors ready, But the secondary air pump requires a couple starts which in my case I'll never know if I have an issue with it since codes automatically erase.

For emissions testing in Ontario they plug in the OBD reader and you must have atleast 7/8 monitors ready with no codes.

I know they continuously monitor but every single other car Volvo, Benz, Audi other BMWs keep the completed monitor tests saved as ready and then you can keep driving or start stop over multiple days to complete all cycles.

I have no codes or engine light when driving not even any pending intermittent ones. My issue is strictly that the monitors don't stay in the Ready mode when they completed cycle.