E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

dme failure or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:50 PM
New Members

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: broken e60 with some wheels
Engine: n54

an update, replaced MOSFETs in DME, no more 30BA code, that is a good sign.

car started up great, but within 20 seconds (i guess after warmup) RPMs dropped. car started shaking, noticed white smoke and "fuel pump..." error popped up on idrive dash. immediately shut the car down.

when i shut down the car, battery light came on (probably from all the starting/stopping/code reading over the last week)

charged the battery a little (like 2 minutes lol) started the car up and everything seems fine.

drive it around for about 20-30 minutes and no CEL, no misfires as far as i felt or reported in inpa. but one WOT pull, i got limp mode, code 30FF.

im HOPING its a vac leak.

cliffnotes: Was getting 30BA error on DME. all MOSFETs tested fine (my multimeter and electricians) replaced anyway, error gone. misfires gone. car runs fine.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Well I hope that fixed it. Let us know if any issues come up over the next few days. Get the battery charged to see if that was your issue after startup
Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Good tip from Sean. Properly charge the battery then treat this underboost as a different problem.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 PM
New Members

Just another update, was still getting rough starts if it was cold (say if car sat overnight and it wasnt over 70 deg. in the morning) but would go away after warm up.

replaced all injectors in bank 1, car is running bettert. still getting no boost fault at wot pulls. quarter/half throttle car seems to pull fine. going to check vacuum next.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
New Members

Final update on this issue. replaced the two vacuum lines that run in front of the intake box. (looked frayed) with some vacuum line i got from advanced auto, less than 5 bucks. took car out, WOT, limp mode. pulled over, cleared error in inpa. got back on the road, WOT....NO LIMP MODE!

did probably 10 or so WOT pulls in 2/3rd gear depending on where i was, and no 30FF "no boost" error.

i am very happy, overall fixing all those errors cost me nothing compared to what taking it to a shop would have charged me. i also learned a lot about the car, and now im ready to finally install my dci and jb4. cant wait to see what breaks next.

thanks for everybody who made suggestions. especially the suggestion to replace the mosfets. even the electrician is baffled at how they tested fine but gave me errors.

HOPEFULLY if anybody in the future has similar errors, they find this thread and save themselves a lot of money. everything was easy and done in the parking lot of my complex.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by y0itzflip
Final update on this issue. replaced the two vacuum lines that run in front of the intake box. (looked frayed) with some vacuum line i got from advanced auto, less than 5 bucks. took car out, WOT, limp mode. pulled over, cleared error in inpa. got back on the road, WOT....NO LIMP MODE!

did probably 10 or so WOT pulls in 2/3rd gear depending on where i was, and no 30FF "no boost" error.

i am very happy, overall fixing all those errors cost me nothing compared to what taking it to a shop would have charged me. i also learned a lot about the car, and now im ready to finally install my dci and jb4. cant wait to see what breaks next.

thanks for everybody who made suggestions. especially the suggestion to replace the mosfets. even the electrician is baffled at how they tested fine but gave me errors.

HOPEFULLY if anybody in the future has similar errors, they find this thread and save themselves a lot of money. everything was easy and done in the parking lot of my complex.
Can you post a pic of the lines you replaced?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Can you post a pic of the lines you replaced?
these were the lines i replaced.

after i installed my jb4 and turned up the boost, i started getting 30ff again. couldnt see anything physically damaged, ended up bypassing the the vacuum canisters and was still getting the same error. ended up upgrading to an active autowerke chargepipe and BOV and 30ff is gone all the way up to 17-18psi.

so if all your vacuum lines are good, id look at the chargepipe/DV next.

just saving now for some new turbos since im getting rattle and have higher HP goals.