E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DIY 545i secondary air valve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by device
the Y - hose is in really good condition so i've chosen not to change it just yet. i just found out that the breather hoses on both my CCVs (PRVs) are not in place. is this normal? i took the valves off - they are in very good condition (like new) but the hoses are not there. what should those hoses be connected to? anyone with pictures of where the small breather hoses that should leave the CCVs are connected will be really appreciated. in mine, the nipples on the ends of the CCVs are not connected to anything.
Hoses not used AFAIK. The nipples should be blanked off on new valve caps.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on correcting your low flow on Bank 2? I have the P0492 on my 545i which is low flow Bank 2.

I verified the pump is working as it should, the Y hose has no leaks ( Vacumm test) and sounds like each exhaust valve is opening ( pressure tested).

Could be an intermittent sticking driver's side valve or the dreaded carbon build up. I did replace the pre-cat O2 sensor as it is this sensor that is monitoring for O2 flow. This did not help.

I know there is some passage way access in the air hose as I squirted some seam foam just up the RH air line to the valve and smoke did come out the exhaust.

Is there something else that trigger the low flow or the code P0492?

Can the injectors remain in place as the last poster asked and just disconnect the fuel rail?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

I have had this problem for over a year now. I replaced the y-pipe and verified that the air pump and check valves were operating correctly. I did the Seafoam treatment that some people claim is successful, but it was not for me. So, sometime in the near future I will be removing the heads and removing the carbon buildup, and replace the valve seals while I am at it. I guess I will have my head guy I know check and replace any worn valve guides. Maybe I will do a write up, since this forum doesn't have anything about head removal that I can find.

Last edited by Stephen Max; 12-27-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E 60

I just got diagnosed with bad Air control valves ( BOTH SIDES)..... how common is it to have both of them going out?

this makes me think there is something happening before the Y diving hose...

.,...ANY IDEAS.... other than that i guess ill have to pull them out and see what they look like.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Members

I had similar issues on my 2005 545i but the fault code on the Bavarian Technic was 29FE (secondary air injection system) I replaced the air pump and filter and all seems to be ok for now. You may want to check the website allgermanauto.com They do have a DYI on the secondary air injection system
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 2004 545i sport

Having the same problem as well trying to fix it myself I was thinking of changing the check valves and tubes but not sure if its gonna work, I read on here something about a maf sensor its on the back of the engine sounds like im gonna have to take off my whole dash?????? Really confused about this whole code error I got bank 2 and now bank 1 comes up as well need help asap
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by device
the Y - hose is in really good condition so i've chosen not to change it just yet. i just found out that the breather hoses on both my CCVs (PRVs) are not in place. is this normal? i took the valves off - they are in very good condition (like new) but the hoses are not there. what should those hoses be connected to? anyone with pictures of where the small breather hoses that should leave the CCVs are connected will be really appreciated. in mine, the nipples on the ends of the CCVs are not connected to anything.
The replacement CCV's do not have hose connections. I replaced mine, but kept the original plastic body, using only the new springs and diaphragms and reconnected the hoses. Whoever replaced yours did not do that, but it is not an error. I believe the hoses only provide filtered air (no vacuum, no pressure) to the valves which was eventually determined to be unnecessary, so a design change was made. Bottom line, it's probably not causing your problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 545i 4.4L
Default Same codes are popping up on me and $95 at the dealership may bring some luck

I'm going to take the intake manifold off here in the next few days. May have to wait till the new baby's here but I'll keep posted as to my results come in. Dealership told me the problem was my T under the intake manifold for the vac system. Wish me luck
Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I'm not familiar with the BMW V8's, but if you pull the intake off, are the gaskets or orings or whatever these use reusable or should I get new ones?

I have the same code for both banks. And I know that the pump is running. So I'm thinking either both valves or the hose.

I'd like to pull the intake and check it out before ordering anything unnecessarily.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

545iGuy,
Did you pull your intake off? If so do you have pics? Was it the T that you were told it was?
Do you get a rich or lean smell coming from your exhaust? Mine burns my eyes.

I'm asking all these questions because I have the same issue and want to try and fix it with out throwing parts at it.

I just did a complete cooling system replacement and the ORing behind the alternator bracket (not as hard as everyone says). And this is my last issue currently! lol or the only one I know about!
Thanks
Bobby

Quick Reply: DIY 545i secondary air valve replacement