E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

display, navigation, cd - out

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Default I-drive blank, CD/DVD out, no power, SOS-error

Update,

Restarting the car doesn't work. I think it's a power issue, as when it goes blank, the lights on the cd/dvd also are out, I can't hear the CD or DVD spinning, and the eject buttons don't work. I tried resetting by pushing the volume and both eject buttons, nothing. I'll go mess with the power module, is there a way to test it? Also getting the SOS communication error on the little display window where the miles and time are.

Last edited by motopokep; 05-15-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Did you check the fuses?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Sound, Cold weather package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Sunshades, CD changer in glove. Alpine White, with light tan Dakota leather, Good seats. Just out of warranty. Previous: 1997 528i. Sold '09. 1981 320i. Sold '89.

Originally Posted by motopokep
Update,

Restarting the car doesn't work. I think it's a power issue, as when it goes blank, the lights on the cd/dvd also are out, I can't hear the CD or DVD spinning, and the eject buttons don't work. I tried resetting by pushing the volume and both eject buttons, nothing. I'll go mess with the power module, is there a way to test it? Also getting the SOS communication error on the little display window where the miles and time are.
This was and is my problem. It comes back, then disappears again. The iDrive wheel just spins. I thought it was my battery.
Recently it just starting blinking on and off, lots of warning lights and rings. Then it wouldn't start. I bought an alternator and another new battery. I picked it up and it all was terrific. Then 1 hour later, it all ran great but fan for air conditioner was not strong. I took it back last night.

I never tried to push the volume and eject buttons. It will happen again, so I will try that.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Members

Let know if you were able to solve this or took it to a shop and what the problem was.

I switched the white box in the trunk under the spare with another one my friend had from his e60, didn't change anything. For couple of days, it all came back on, but was very slow to respond, that is, any command I would perform, either in the i-drive menu, or through steering wheel buttons, or the buttons on the cd (volume, on/off, next/previous), the system would wait about 10 seconds before performing. Now it's dead again. I'm going to check the fuses, but I don't think it's the fuses. I'm getting no power in the cd/dvd, i-drive silver knob spins freely, I do have an SOS error on my dashboard with a phone symbol crossed out.

I'm going to try to connect my diagnostics software if I can remember how to do it, if all else fails, I'll have to turn to a pro and be out of some green....

I'm interested to hear who else had a similar problem and if they were able to fix this themselves...I've searched around a bit on forums, but didn't find the answer. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Houndstoothck
This was and is my problem. It comes back, then disappears again. The iDrive wheel just spins. I thought it was my battery.
Recently it just starting blinking on and off, lots of warning lights and rings. Then it wouldn't start. I bought an alternator and another new battery. I picked it up and it all was terrific. Then 1 hour later, it all ran great but fan for air conditioner was not strong. I took it back last night.

I never tried to push the volume and eject buttons. It will happen again, so I will try that.
Any update? Did you get this fixed?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by motopokep
Let know if you were able to solve this or took it to a shop and what the problem was.

I switched the white box in the trunk under the spare with another one my friend had from his e60, didn't change anything. For couple of days, it all came back on, but was very slow to respond, that is, any command I would perform, either in the i-drive menu, or through steering wheel buttons, or the buttons on the cd (volume, on/off, next/previous), the system would wait about 10 seconds before performing. Now it's dead again. I'm going to check the fuses, but I don't think it's the fuses. I'm getting no power in the cd/dvd, i-drive silver knob spins freely, I do have an SOS error on my dashboard with a phone symbol crossed out.

I'm going to try to connect my diagnostics software if I can remember how to do it, if all else fails, I'll have to turn to a pro and be out of some green....

I'm interested to hear who else had a similar problem and if they were able to fix this themselves...I've searched around a bit on forums, but didn't find the answer. Thanks.
Hi there,

I read somewhere that perhaps this problem may be related to your telecommunications unit ( mulf/tel) its in your trunk on the drivers side behind the LAST side cover. Apparently, at times this can cause havoc when it malfunctions causing issues with all that you have mentioned. Worth a check I think. Good luck!