E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Disgruntled owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 530i w/sport package
Thumbs down Disgruntled owner

So... yesterday I had to borrow a friend's toyota 4runner to move a few things. I have to say that I was impressed by it... It's a 2004 V6 with just over 100k miles. Ran smooth, good power and had no problems... I found myself comparing the engine responsiveness and the drive to my 04 530i sport. I came to realize that my 530 drives like crap. It's sluggish, and unresponsive. I've only had it for a month, but am seriously wondering what it's going to take, $$$, to get it back up to par and if it'll be worth the effort and money and time. Anyone have any thoughts?

BTW: My BMW is 2004 530i Sport Package with 102K miles.

Unfortunately life just threw me a curve-ball and now I have the prospect of having to hire a divorce attorney, I don't have the funds to direct into fixing up a vehicle. This leaves me in a bad position and I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep the 5...
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Owning a 10 year old BMW is like owning a boat. Expect to constantly put money and effort into the car. It is a labor of love. If you don't love the car or the prospect of caring for it with the intensity of watercraft, sell it. It's not a Honda. It is what it is.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Wow there should really be no comparison between the 4 runner and 530. My guess is that there is something wrong with your 530 causing its lack in power. Did you have this car checked out before purchasing it? If not, then perhaps getting it to a good mechanic or dealer to at least establish a baseline of where you are and what you might be faced with.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 AM
New Members

Yea, Since buying it, the car has spent time in the shop. Getting fresh oil changed to correct oil pressure fault after the car got warmed up (wrong weight oil), the place I bought it from put a new battery in and fried the logic amp and the IBS cable. It's been in for those things, computer reprogrammed, hood sensor, etc... I've only had the car for a month and have put more than I bargined for the first month of ownership, so the first impressions of the car aren't great.

I picked up a can of MAF cleaner. Gonna do that tonight... Also gonna order new plugs and put them in prolly next week.

I was looking at O2 sensors online last night. Not excited about spending close to $160 x 4 plus labor to have them installed.

Plus there seems to be a suspension issue. When I make a turn, left or right, at slow speed, one little bump in the road causes a feeling like I'm driving over rumble bars... I'm thinking the front shocks are gonna need to be replaced. Not excited about another $500 investment plus labor there.

The major change from a month ago is that I have to put my $$$ towards an attorney now...
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM
New Members

I guess the difference between the two vehicles was that in the 4 runner, when I stepped on the gas, the engine "JUMPED" to life and was eager to get moving... The 530 just kinda is like a lazy cat and kinda gets going, but not with the same energy and I know it didn't run like that when it was new... It also sounds gritty (not sure if that's the right term)... For example, when a vocalist has a raspy voice instead of crisp and clear... That would be a good way to visualize what I'm trying to say...
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Chamoh78
I guess the difference between the two vehicles was that in the 4 runner, when I stepped on the gas, the engine "JUMPED" to life and was eager to get moving... The 530 just kinda is like a lazy cat and kinda gets going, but not with the same energy and I know it didn't run like that when it was new... It also sounds gritty (not sure if that's the right term)... For example, when a vocalist has a raspy voice instead of crisp and clear... That would be a good way to visualize what I'm trying to say...

Hi there, sorry to hear about your car issues. Could be simply maintenance isues that need to be addressed. As far as the sluggish take-off, you can try to remedy this by installing a pedal-box or sprintbooster. they both are around 300.00 and has made a world of difference in my car!!

I would however, make sure to diagnose that nothing else is wrong with your vehicle first. Godd luck!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2014
Engine: 3.0 I6 TwinTurbo

Divorce is a major crisis to face when your vehicle starts to need repairs. Fix the car and the marriageand come out on top in both situations. Wish you the best with both.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 PM
New Members

Well, I pulled the MAF out and cleaned it. Only cause I'm assuming that since it would appear that standard maintenance for the car has not been kept up on, I may as well start going through everything... Still drives the same as before...

Gonna order new plugs tomorrow and find a block of time to put them in... I've looked over the DIY here, is there anything specific that I need to be careful of in replacing the plugs?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
New Members

Something to look into, but could be really expensive. I have a 2008 528. I purchased my car in July of 2012. Fortunately for me it was a CPO. Since it was still under CPO warranty and maintenance until October of 2013, I had been taking it to the dealer for service.

Over the course of the 15 months between purchase and the end of the warrantee, had them fix all the common faults. My car was also sluggish, felt like it had no torque. I complained on a few occasions, but they found nothing. Even had one of the technicians, drive with me. They said it was OK. I just thought that's the way it runs and would have to live with it.

Four days before the end of the CPO warranty, I bring the car in for it's last free scheduled maintenance, plugs, air filters, oil etc... And a few other items. They gave me a loaner for the day. They couldn't finish, so I kept the loaner over the weekend. Monday my SA calls me and said the service manager drove the car for QC check and said the car had no power, sluggish. He noted that I had reported this previously and asked to keep the car. They run a full diagnosis and think it's the DME. They had BMW NA remote into the car and confirmed bad DME. They authorized the replacement under warranty. It had to be coded and shipped. Few days later I get the car back, it's like they put in a new engine. I couldn't believe I drove the car all that time running like that. My SA told me it would have been almost $2,000 to fix at the dealer.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 AM
New Members

That's very interesting... But what is a DME?

Quick Reply: Disgruntled owner