E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling the Tilt and Interior Motion Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I took our 550i on its first ferry ride this past week, a short vacation to San Juan Island. I followed the procedure, as I understand it, to disable the interior motion and tilt alarm features. Didn't work. The procedure I used was: 1) lock the car; and 2) immediately depress the lock button a second time and hold until the light flashed continuously. I was sure I had it, but the alarm went off the moment the ferry tilted a bit.

Any help here?

I know, my owner's manual is my friend... I sat inside the car, reading it over and over again, and did what it said as I interpret it, still with the same result.

Cal

PS: I had a few things to ask for input on today; I posted 1 on this forum and this Alarm post on bimmerfest.com. You guys are the greatest, as I've had several responses here already, and none on bimmerfest. So I am posting this Alarm question here. Thanks in advance,
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll check on some more detail a bit later but I think you just double-press the lock button on the fob and the clown-nose light will stay illuminated for a short period to confirm you've bypassed the interior motion sensor and tilt alarm. After a short time, the clown-nose will begin to flash normally again (so the bad guys can't see that it's bypassed, I assume.)

The key is to watch the light and witness that it stays illuminated for a short time. If you double-press too quickly or too slowly, it won't work. It sounds to me like maybe you didn't time the second press just right and all you saw was a flashing (normal) light...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

This is good to know. I had no idea you could bypass the tilt alarm. I need to take a Ferry somewhere now.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks Rudy, I'll give your technique a try. I didn't really want to "test" other methods than that I'd done while on the ferry! Lots of irritated folks that had stayed in their cars while I had ventured top-side,

Cal
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='624804
Thanks Rudy, I'll give your technique a try. I didn't really want to "test" other methods than that I'd done while on the ferry! Lots of irritated folks that had stayed in their cars while I had ventured top-side,

Cal
I think you'll see the difference in how the clown-nose illuminates right away. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I believe its double pressing the lock button too.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='624824' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:39 PM
I'll check on some more detail a bit later but I think you just double-press the lock button on the fob and the clown-nose light will stay illuminated for a short period to confirm you've bypassed the interior motion sensor and tilt alarm. After a short time, the clown-nose will begin to flash normally again (so the bad guys can't see that it's bypassed, I assume.)

The key is to watch the light and witness that it stays illuminated for a short time. If you double-press too quickly or too slowly, it won't work. It sounds to me like maybe you didn't time the second press just right and all you saw was a flashing (normal) light...
Rudy nailed it . We use the ferry system here in BC and learned this lesson the hard way............. my wife actually had to have her 650 pushed off of a ferry as she virtually drained the battery listening to the radio in the ferry lineup, then when on board she did not deactivate the alarm and while the ferry was moving it set the alarm off and killed the battery, when she came down to get the car started to drive off ............dead . Apparently some guy yelled " you should have got a Mercedes " as he drove past her,, adding injury to insult............... anyway we now now how it works !!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

Yup, you're right...
It's good to know this if you got the E61 and want to leave your dog inside while shopping.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Good to know. Thank you!