E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Directional Indicator design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Guys, this thread is not about triple signal activation. Read the manual and you will learn that although a little different the indicator stalk is actually quite well designed.

The thread starter is saying that he cannot see the green flasher on the dashboard.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Yet another HUD display item that would be helpful. I too cannot see or hear the indicators and have to bob & weave to check them. I think Chrysler has a feature where a chime rings if the indicator is on too long. That also would seem like a relaively easy feature for BMW to add to iDrive.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I have no problems with either visibility or the use of the stalk - it takes some getting used to but once you have it then its quite a slick system.

Also at first I could not see the indicator lights but raising the wheel just a little bit higher made all the difference. This position suits me although I sould imagine it causing problems for others.

I do agree though - the position of the lights should be in the middle.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Yep - there's a little triangular space on either side of the time/temp display next to the bottom of the tach and speedo that would be perfect for the indicators - and I dont' see anything else using that location.

This really bugs me - to add to it, my right turn flasher sticks sometimes on the 3 click activation, so I have to lean over and look every time I use it, until I go get it fixed.

And, forget about being able to see the top of the tach and speedo unless the wheel is all the way up.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by John W' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:20 PM
And, forget about being able to see the top of the tach and speedo unless the wheel is all the way up.
[snapback]111441[/snapback]
One other point - and I'm not trying to be funny - have you tried lowering the drivers seat ? Maybe that would work better for you.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

It looks like the problem is combination of seat position and turn signal position.
I can not put my seat in the position I want which is as far back and as high up as possible but I can only do one or the other without tilting the seat, so I have to compromize between the two and then as a result you loose turn signal view.

It works pretty good if seat is moved all of the way down, hey at that position your tilting rearview mirror probably becomes usable if you can still see the windshield
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I am 5'10" and I have not had any problems. Most cars are designed today with the hands at the 3 annd 9 position on the steering wheel, with the thumbs hooked in the spokes. I didn't change my postion to this until I took BMW driver's training. It may be your hands are blocking out the signals at the 4 and 10 position.

On the other hand, the car should be designed to accomadate all positions.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I have no problem with the indicators, i do have a point on the indicator switch being too high.
I am used to it now, but in the first few weeks of ownership I constantly deactivated cruise control instead of using the indicator.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

forgot to mention that my former mercs (clk and E) had the same feature (tip and triple-blink)
So it's not only GM that used this system.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Agree - indicator lights could be in better location. Having said that, their placement doesn't bother me. I use my indicators 100% of the time for lane changes, turning etc. and I have become very good at using the stock the way it is designed and I know when they are on and in what position. In my opinion the indicator system is fantastic and an elegant design solution.

Quick Reply: Directional Indicator design flaw