E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dipping Passenger side wing mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Still loving my car

All the faults that caused me pain a few weeks ago & were eventually fixed have not re-appeared & i'm a very happy chappie, however a little annoyance has started with the dipping wing mirror. Had noticed it happen a couple of times before, but just thought they were a little tempremental, however i'm now assuming it's a fault & wonder if it's known & fixable??

When i put the car into reverse, the passenger wing mirror dips down so i can see the curb & hopefully avoid scratching my lovely 172's however sometimes the mirror does not drop but i can see it trying (if that makes sense) & somtimes it will drop OK but either not return to it's normal saved position or not move at all, but the biggest annoyance is that when i then try to force the mirror to it's correct position by pressing the seat memory button, the mirror actually rised a few degrees every time i press the seat memory button, so i can only remedy this by actually adjusting the mirror again.

I know the mirror will not dip if the adjust selector is switched to the passenger side mirror, it will only dip if the adjuster is switched for the drivers mirror, but other than this i'm confused.

Perhaps i have a dodgy motor or control unit. Anyone else suffered with this & if so, what was the fix??
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

It's definitely dodgy.

As for the mirror moving by only a few degree when you press the memory seat button, I think it will always do that if your engine is on. I guess it's a safety feature. Just imagine if you were driving, then by mistake you hit the memory button that had a saved position so far forward that you would be crushed by the steering.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

I don't have memory seats in my car - but I had them in my e46 coupe.

The description of the mirror tilt almost sounds like what happens if you keep holding down the adjust when the mirror has already moved all the way. Sounds to me like something is obstructing it.

In terms of the memore seats - a single press on the button in my car took the seat and mirrors all the way to the memorised position.

I don't think this is a safety issue as if you did it by mistake it is easily cancelled by touching one of the other adjustment buttons.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

It's not a major problem, so i'll get it looked at by the dealer sometime over the next few weeks if their's no quick fix.

Just hope they don't play around with the software again.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

I have a friend whose X5 has the same problem with his mirrors.
After many dealer visits, they remain unfixed I'm afraid.