E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dinan 545 or M5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: At sea: 2005 545i sport, SMG, cold weather, Logic 7, nav, HUD, heated rear seats, sat prep - black sapphire

I love my 545, but like many of us, I LOVE the M5! I would appreciate opinions on fully Dinan-izing my '05 545 vs. trading up to an M5. It looks like the cost differential would be pretty significant, especially if I traded in my 545.

I would use the M5 as a daily driver, about 10000 mi/yr. I may track it 1 -2 times a year. Otherwise, occasional weekend drives and exit ramps would be where I could fully exploit the M.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

*sigh* you know me... I'll say M5! hahaha but hey what about supercharging the 545?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I would do the Dinan package--assuming it is what it is cracked up to be--under whatever the latest Progman is. If it is, then you should feel the difference, and the difference should be consistently measurable. Then, your car would be a stealther--which is my favorite type of car. And, you would save a great deal of money. I think the M5 is a very good car. But, IMO, it is not fast enough for the price. Also, if I get 500 HP, then I want torque to match. Furthermore, in the US you get a crippled LC. Oh, and if I were going to exploit either car, then I'd do so on entry ramps not exit ramps.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I think this is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. A Dinan 545 with the current tuning they have will still cost a lot less and will not be anywhere near as powerful as an M5. I would get an M5 if I could.

As you can see from my signature, I'm on my way to Dinan-izing my car as well only because I can't afford a new M5...hahaha

I've got all their engine performance bits currently available and I actually spoke to my buddy there today and they're not releasing the MAF and programming till next month. They will release both together. Also, no word yet of any supercharger. I will probably go as far as the MAF and programming but would rather trade in my car later on for an M5 than getting a supercharger. Then again...who knows. I believe VF Engineering has one for the 545.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='248262' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:50 PM
I've got all their engine performance bits currently available and I actually spoke to my buddy there today and they're not releasing the MAF and programming till next month. They will release both together. Also, no word yet of any supercharger. I will probably go as far as the MAF and programming....
Do you know if they will offer separate Step and chip programming?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Good question Znod. I will call back and check tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='248286' date='Mar 1 2006, 11:29 PM
Good question Znod. I will call back and check tomorrow.
Hey, thanks much. And, we want to see some Dinan mod test results. Pleeeeaase!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

haha...I know I know. Man, I'm such a flake. I really really want to run those tests too.... just gotta make time.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

There's yet more differences between the two other than the motor and price. True, you could build your engine to be as strong as the M5 (and even stronger), but unless you also do something about your suspension and steering, it just won't feel/drive like one (M5 uses variable ratio and Servotronic NOT Active steering).

No LSD (limited slip differential) in the 545.

How about the transmission? The SMG you have is not in the same league as the SMG III of the M5.

You're also not going to have MDrive. This is BMW's way of integrating the various options (SMG shift program, EDC, and DSC modes) into the iDrive.

M5 [thicker] steering wheel with shift paddles and the MDrive button.

You might be able to get better brakes/rotors, better seats, and better wheels but keep an eye on your checkbook if you do all this. You may have already spent the equivalent of buying an M5 out-right.

My choice? The M5 is a bargain considering the price of the cars it is able to compete against...and most of those cars don't even have back seats.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: At sea: 2005 545i sport, SMG, cold weather, Logic 7, nav, HUD, heated rear seats, sat prep - black sapphire

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='248262' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:50 PM
I think this is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. A Dinan 545 with the current tuning they have will still cost a lot less and will not be anywhere near as powerful as an M5. I would get an M5 if I could.

As you can see from my signature, I'm on my way to Dinan-izing my car as well only because I can't afford a new M5...hahaha

I've got all their engine performance bits currently available and I actually spoke to my buddy there today and they're not releasing the MAF and programming till next month. They will release both together. Also, no word yet of any supercharger. I will probably go as far as the MAF and programming but would rather trade in my car later on for an M5 than getting a supercharger. Then again...who knows. I believe VF Engineering has one for the 545.
Thanks for everyone's insight. EuroCarFan, I would be interested in how palpable the difference in performance of your car is with the engine mods.

And please forgive my ignorance, but what's MAF?

Quick Reply: Dinan 545 or M5?