E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DIGITAL TUNINGS RESPONSE TO MY E-MAIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

This was my original question to them:

How does this chip install, will it void the warranty and will it be detectable the service departmenat at BMW.

Thank You,

Bill L.

-----------------------------------
Dear Sir,
We thank you for the interest in our products.

Here below you can find some information about your car before and after the modification.

The only way to modify the ECU is to send it to our address.

Pratically we work on the original ECU and modify it. No mechanical tamperings will be done. The

modification will not be detectable by the service department at BMW.

Therefore the warranty will not be touched and furthermore we give a guarantee of 5 years on our

modification.

The price is of EUR 599.-- + shipping fees.

In case of other questions or clarifications please contact us at the following phone number:

0041 91 862 59 50 or by e-mail.

Many thanks and best regards,

DigitalTuning SA
Luca Peroni

Here below you can find some information about your car before and after the modification.

Brand
BMW 5 SERIES

Motor
550i - 367CV

Year

Cylinders

Displacement

Original technical items: Digitaltuning technical items:

Power [HP] at a speed of 6300 min-1 Power [HP] at a speed of 6410 min-1
367 390

Torque [NM] at a speed of 3400 min-1 Torque [NM] at a speed of 3230 min-1
489 567

Speed [Km/h] Speed [km/h]
250 275

Acceleration 0-100Km/h [s] Acceleration 0-100Km/h [s]
5.5 5.3

Use of fuel [l/100Km] Use of fuel [l/100Km]
10.8 10.5

Increase of the power of 23 [HP]

Increase of the torque 16 % [Nm]

Price
599 [?]

What do you guys think? Has anyone used this company?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

I just can't imagine why this modification would not be detectable by your BMW technician. If it changes hp and torque, the tech would be able to notice it as well.....wouldn't you think?? <_<
Old 05-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributors

I don't know anything about this firm, but I like the projected results: +23HP +58 ft-lbs torque! Does the top-end speed limiter go away too?

I would certainly think about doing it - and the price is not too bad at about $750. The only hitch is shipping the ECU unit to them ... which could mean you would be without a car for at least a week, I would guess.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

I thought about getting this done to my 550 too (as soon as it gets here). I was hoping that Dinan would come out with their own, does anybody know if they will anytime soon? I would just feel weird about shipping a piece of my car away for who knows how long.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

ok, here it goes

On normal dealer level using the dealer equipment, a good remap will not be detected, especially not on a normally aspirated engine.
They could find other air mass values etc. on a turbo'd engine (like the td's), but still could only suspect the remap. To read out the ECU to clearly detect a remap, the dealer needs to take it out and send it of to BMW HQ. A good tuner alters your map without triggering the flash counter, too, so the ECU wouldn't show it had a re-flash done.

Worries about warranty are debatable, too. Every dealer licks his fingers for warranty work, as they can charge the full whack for parts and labour back to HQ. Before HQ gets the warranty bill, your car is already done. To get the work from a private customer they might have to make sacrifices to win the business.

I will have my 535d done by a buddy of mine from www.e-maps.co.uk , but although he does travel, a ticket to the US would kill the deal, I'd say.

iirc, DMS automotive have a US subsidiary and an excellent reputation. You could contact Mike Cooper through www.dmsautomotive.com and I am sure he can assist you, f.o.c. and put you in the right direction.

He should be able to further dampen your concerns about the issue itself,
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='283797' date='May 17 2006, 03:59 PM
ok, here it goes

On normal dealer level using the dealer equipment, a good remap will not be detected, especially not on a normally aspirated engine.
They could find other air mass values etc. on a turbo'd engine (like the td's), but still could only suspect the remap. To read out the ECU to clearly detect a remap, the dealer needs to take it out and send it of to BMW HQ. A good tuner alters your map without triggering the flash counter, too, so the ECU wouldn't show it had a re-flash done.

Worries about warranty are debatable, too. Every dealer licks his fingers for warranty work, as they can charge the full whack for parts and labour back to HQ. Before HQ gets the warranty bill, your car is already done. To get the work from a private customer they might have to make sacrifices to win the business.

I will have my 535d done by a buddy of mine from www.e-maps.co.uk , but although he does travel, a ticket to the US would kill the deal, I'd say.

iirc, DMS automotive have a US subsidiary and an excellent reputation. You could contact Mike Cooper through www.dmsautomotive.com and I am sure he can assist you, f.o.c. and put you in the right direction.

He should be able to further dampen your concerns about the issue itself,
Thanks for the info.