E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Differential Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this DIY thread for great info and pics on changing the rear diff gear oil.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was can I use XA instead of XO oil in my diff? And does anyone know if this is true "CASTROL SAF-XO has had its name changed the NEW Name is CASTROL SYNTRAX LONGLIFE"?
Castrol SAF-XA is much heavier gear oil (80W-140) than XO (75W-90).

Castrol Syntrax Long Life API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil seems to have replaced SAF-XO. Depending on the market, versions with or without friction modifiers appear to be available. Either will work in an open diff.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bighead2267
does it matter to use "redline" if the vehicle still have warranty remain? also, does X drive have transfer case? if so, we can use the same spec of LSD fluid as well?
As long as another manufacturer's product meets the same specs as those required by BMW, there should not be a warranty issue.

XDrive does indeed have a transfer case, and it uses very specific oil. This stuff is what's in my 530xi's transfer case.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kskane
Thanks for the tips so far. Does anyone know what is the different between Castrol SAF-XO vs SAF-XA diff oils?
IMHO you are really overthinking the gear fluid. Any good 75W-90 synthetic gear oil will do.
If you are fixated on the SAF-XO then either buy it from the dealer or buy it from Land Rover (spec sheet below - first page).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LandRoverFluids SAF_XO .pdf (56.0 KB, 536 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

just got this one, used redline 75w90, and i couldnt be happier. For some reason the rear diffs seems to be quieter.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by kskane
Hi, has anyone done a DIY on changing the differential oil on a E60 M54 Auto transmission before? If yes, are there any pics available.

My 525i E60 M54 is sitting on 135K and I don't think the differential oil has ever been changed. So I am concerned, what problems could come out of it.

Also, what grade of non-BMW differential oil can I use?

Thanks in advance.
Used motul synthetic gear oil (french made) and feels real smooth. Expensive. Pickup seems better too but it's tough to really validate. In the post pic, 1 was the fill hole and 3 the drain. At 60k, the oil was a bit dirty but nothing like the tranny oil. A very satisfying DIY and make sure to torque to spec Used nearly a 1 and 2/3 quarts. Will change every 30k from now on.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by crewzer
There are several threads on diff oil change in the DIY forum.

I've done the rear diff on our N52-equipped E61. My Bentley manual indicates it uses the same rear diff (188L or 188LW) as your M54-equipped E60. www.realoem.com indicates otherwise. Regretfully, I don't have any pics.

Rear diff gear oil capacity is 1.0 liter (~1.05 U.S. qt). BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO, which is an API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. This particular gear oil is not suitable for manual transmissions, so it probably contains limited-slip friction modifiers, but that's not an issue for open diffs.

This gear oil is available from many manufacturers (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc.) My older son is an indy Porsche & BMW mechanic, so, on his recommendation, I used Red Line API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. So far, so good.

The big question, however, is whether your car's read diff case has two plugs or just one. If there are two plugs, you need to first loosen the top (fill) plug, and then remove the lower (drain) plug to drain the fluid. Replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug, fill the diff with new fluid, and replace the fill plug.

If the plugs are fitted with O-rings, replace the O-rings and torque the plugs to 65 Nm (48 ft-lbs). Without O-rings, replace the plugs, and torque to 60 NM (44 ft-lbs). The plugs probably require a 14mm hex drive.

Our car's rear diff has just one plug, the "upper" one. This appears to be a reflection of BMW's claim that the diff oil is a lifetime fill. The plug required a 14mm hex drive, and was fitted with an O-ring. I saved the plug and replaced it with a magnetic type from Bavarian AutoSport. Draining the diff required a hooked soft steel tube (to reach down into the diff case) and a tube connected to a vacuum pump.

I was very lucky in that I had access to my son and a shop lift to do this work. Also, after ~6 years and a tad over 40K miles, the oil "looked" OK.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Thanks Jim, can I ask one questions on " Replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug, fill the diff with new fluid, and replace the fill plug", if the plugs are metal and has O-ring, then why replace the nut and not just the O-ring?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Members

... can I ask one questions on " Replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug, fill the diff with new fluid, and replace the fill plug", if the plugs are metal and has O-ring, then why replace the nut and not just the O-ring?
To be honest, I thought I had covered that issue in the my post's next paragraph:
If the plugs are fitted with O-rings, replace the O-rings and torque the plugs to 65 Nm (48 ft-lbs). Without O-rings, replace the plugs, and torque to 60 NM (44 ft-lbs). The plugs probably require a 14mm hex drive.
HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by crewzer
To be honest, I thought I had covered that issue in the my post's next paragraph:
HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Hi Jim, the new plugs on the E60 have two versions, washer (old) or O-ring (new). But the version of O-ring nut is strange as the metal nut and rubber O-ring are joint together and BMW only sells the nut, not the O-ring. I did the diff change last week, and instead of replacing the nuts (mine were metal with O-ring), I just swapped the drain and filler plug and there is not leakage so far. Oh man, at 136K's the diff oil stunk like nothing and was pure BLACK.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I already told you where to get the O-ring. Look back a few posts.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I already told you where to get the O-ring. Look back a few posts.
So you are saying that nut which appears to have the O-ring stuck to the metal can actually be pulled out and replaced. The $tealer here told it is one peice , anyway, next time I guess.

Quick Reply: Differential Oil Change