E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Differential Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Hi, has anyone done a DIY on changing the differential oil on a E60 M54 Auto transmission before? If yes, are there any pics available.

My 525i E60 M54 is sitting on 135K and I don't think the differential oil has ever been changed. So I am concerned, what problems could come out of it.

Also, what grade of non-BMW differential oil can I use?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several threads on diff oil change in the DIY forum.

I've done the rear diff on our N52-equipped E61. My Bentley manual indicates it uses the same rear diff (188L or 188LW) as your M54-equipped E60. www.realoem.com indicates otherwise. Regretfully, I don't have any pics.

Rear diff gear oil capacity is 1.0 liter (~1.05 U.S. qt). BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO, which is an API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. This particular gear oil is not suitable for manual transmissions, so it probably contains limited-slip friction modifiers, but that's not an issue for open diffs.

This gear oil is available from many manufacturers (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc.) My older son is an indy Porsche & BMW mechanic, so, on his recommendation, I used Red Line API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. So far, so good.

The big question, however, is whether your car's read diff case has two plugs or just one. If there are two plugs, you need to first loosen the top (fill) plug, and then remove the lower (drain) plug to drain the fluid. Replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug, fill the diff with new fluid, and replace the fill plug.

If the plugs are fitted with O-rings, replace the O-rings and torque the plugs to 65 Nm (48 ft-lbs). Without O-rings, replace the plugs, and torque to 60 NM (44 ft-lbs). The plugs probably require a 14mm hex drive.

Our car's rear diff has just one plug, the "upper" one. This appears to be a reflection of BMW's claim that the diff oil is a lifetime fill. The plug required a 14mm hex drive, and was fitted with an O-ring. I saved the plug and replaced it with a magnetic type from Bavarian AutoSport. Draining the diff required a hooked soft steel tube (to reach down into the diff case) and a tube connected to a vacuum pump.

I was very lucky in that I had access to my son and a shop lift to do this work. Also, after ~6 years and a tad over 40K miles, the oil "looked" OK.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I can't point you at a DIY, but it's easy to do. I use Red Line 75W-90, as recommended by many including Mike Miller of Roundel Tech Talk. Remove the filler plug first in case you can't get it out.

If you're getting into some level of DIY, it won't take you long to save enough on shop labor to justify a Bentley manual. Well worth the investment.

Afterthought: My 545 and 330 are the same vintage as your car, and both have two plugs and use an O-ring. The O-ring is M22X1.5, which you can get in Viton from McMaster Carr, catalog number 9263K587. You can use realoem.com to find out if yours is the same. Have the last 7 characters of your VIN handy.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I can't point you at a DIY, but it's easy to do. I use Red Line 75W-90, as recommended by many including Mike Miller of Roundel Tech Talk. Remove the filler plug first in case you can't get it out.

If you're getting into some level of DIY, it won't take you long to save enough on shop labor to justify a Bentley manual. Well worth the investment.

Afterthought: My 545 and 330 are the same vintage as your car, and both have two plugs and use an O-ring. The O-ring is M22X1.5, which you can get in Viton from McMaster Carr, catalog number 9263K587. You can use realoem.com to find out if yours is the same. Have the last 7 characters of your VIN handy.
Thanks for the tips so far. Does anyone know what is the different between Castrol SAF-XO vs SAF-XA diff oils?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Members

Does anyone know what is the different between Castrol SAF-XO vs SAF-XA diff oils?
This is an easy Internet search:

Castrol SAF-XO
Castrol SAF-XA

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by crewzer
This is an easy Internet search:

Castrol SAF-XO
Castrol SAF-XA

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Sorry, what I meant to ask was can I use XA instead of XO oil in my diff? And does anyone know if this is true "CASTROL SAF-XO has had its name changed the NEW Name is CASTROL SYNTRAX LONGLIFE"?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by crewzer
There are several threads on diff oil change in the DIY forum.

I've done the rear diff on our N52-equipped E61. My Bentley manual indicates it uses the same rear diff (188L or 188LW) as your M54-equipped E60. www.realoem.com indicates otherwise. Regretfully, I don't have any pics.

Rear diff gear oil capacity is 1.0 liter (~1.05 U.S. qt). BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO, which is an API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. This particular gear oil is not suitable for manual transmissions, so it probably contains limited-slip friction modifiers, but that's not an issue for open diffs.

This gear oil is available from many manufacturers (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc.) My older son is an indy Porsche & BMW mechanic, so, on his recommendation, I used Red Line API GL-5 / SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. So far, so good.

The big question, however, is whether your car's read diff case has two plugs or just one. If there are two plugs, you need to first loosen the top (fill) plug, and then remove the lower (drain) plug to drain the fluid. Replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug, fill the diff with new fluid, and replace the fill plug.

If the plugs are fitted with O-rings, replace the O-rings and torque the plugs to 65 Nm (48 ft-lbs). Without O-rings, replace the plugs, and torque to 60 NM (44 ft-lbs). The plugs probably require a 14mm hex drive.

Our car's rear diff has just one plug, the "upper" one. This appears to be a reflection of BMW's claim that the diff oil is a lifetime fill. The plug required a 14mm hex drive, and was fitted with an O-ring. I saved the plug and replaced it with a magnetic type from Bavarian AutoSport. Draining the diff required a hooked soft steel tube (to reach down into the diff case) and a tube connected to a vacuum pump.

I was very lucky in that I had access to my son and a shop lift to do this work. Also, after ~6 years and a tad over 40K miles, the oil "looked" OK.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Tried to look under the car today, and could not find the middle jack point. Can anyone tell me from image one, is the jack point 1,2 or 3? Is the drain plug has a O-ring or something else that I should get it first before opening it.

Also, I can find only one drain point marked 'A' in the image 2. Is that drain and fill point for my car? What is the the point marked as '?' in the image 2?

What kind of differential is it?

Once I am clear on the above questions, I guess then I will look for the right oil as I am still trying to figure out if it is true "CASTROL SAF-XO has had its name changed the NEW Name is CASTROL SYNTRAX LONGLIFE" or can I use Castrol SAF-XA instead of SAF-XO (since XA is available in the stores here in Oz).
Attached Thumbnails Differential Oil Change-diff1.jpg   Differential Oil Change-diff2.jpg   Differential Oil Change-diff3.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Members

"A" is the drain plug. The filler plug is identical, and higher up on one side of the diff. They use the O-ring I told you about above, which you can buy from the dealer for $6 each, or from McMaster-Carr at 10 for $6.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Members

It's an open differential. If you put oil in it that's intended for a limited-slip differential, that's fine. It doesn't care. Just not the other way around.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Members

does it matter to use "redline" if the vehicle still have warranty remain? also, does X drive have transfer case? if so, we can use the same spec of LSD fluid as well?

Quick Reply: Differential Oil Change