E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Difference from SE Sport and M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not matter what it says on your log book/v5 as its only paper and often have typos.
ill give you an example.
when i bought my nissan skyline 350 gt (new shape) it said in the log book
"nissan skyline r35 gtr"
now that was never its designation (i wish) but thats what it says.
my ex wifes merc AMG just said "E55" with no mention of the AMG i paid such a primium for

not worth the paper its written on
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='763763' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:45 PM
Nice one.....enjoy! How many miles? What are "Big Motoring World" like to deal with? I've certainly heard of them before and they always seem to have the largest selection of used BMW in.
Horrendous to deal with. The 2 guys I dealt with there were so crooked I doubt they could lie straight in bed. Naturally they were very good right up to the point they got my deposit - after that, incredibly frustrating and poor service. Think the experience of dealing with them aged me about 10 years. I'd go into what went on but having to think about it too much would probably finally rob me of the will to live.

Comment above about you better know what you are doing when it comes to dealing with them is spot on.

Anyway, putting the customer service aside, got a good deal on a 545.

Still waiting on my sat nav disc too (the original was probably flogged on ebay) ...
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='786161' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:58 PM
i dont see how you can say "its not possible to spec an SE with all the M-sport parts"

i have a 530d SE (in the V5) with m-sport bumpers, sills, M SMG steering wheel, 20 way M heated seats with bolsters, heated rear seats, M kick sills, M-sport suspension,M gear knob,M exhaust,bi xeions, shadow line trim, i also have M 5 brakes front and rear.19" M sport alloys (everything is OEM genuine BMW)

plus i have the SAT gearbox, pro nav, media pack, lighting pack, M sport boot finnisher.

so what bits more do you think i need to make it a M sport car (ONLY THE v5 TO GO )

the M sport was not a different car, it just had some differences (not additions) bumpers is a look, and does not return any more mpg or mph, suspension is different thats all firm for the sport and more comfortable for the SE
everything else is a brand name look.
the only true difference is with the M5 (that is quite a lot different.)
I'm very confused with your comments and what the point is you are trying to make..........?

Have a look in the E60 brochure or bmw.co.uk. You cannot buy an 'SE' model brand new from the factory and spec it with all the M Sport items, although many of the items can be specced as options. For example, you cannot spec an SE car with the 172M wheels, the bumpers, side skirts, kick plates etc. If you could, it wouldn't be an 'SE' would it, it would be an 'M-Sport'.

However, you could buy an 'SE' car and personally fit all the M-Sport items making it effectively into an M-Sport - although quite why someone wishing to do this wouldn't buy an M-Sport in the first place is beyond me. However, the fact is that the car was sold by BMW as an SE not an M-Sport - that's what my point is. BMW will still see it as an 'SE'.

I'm also not trying to make out the basic platform of an SE / M-Sport is different - far from it. There are however a number of parts that are different / changed / upgraded as standard!

You say "the M sport was not a different car, it just had some differences....." isn't that a complete contradiction..........

I do agree that what is printed on a V5 isn't always reliable, but believe that it can often be used as a guide! Are you saying that your car is an 'official' M-Sport i.e. ordered from the factory that way and that the Logbook states 'SE' (if so you need to get the Logbook amended) or are you saying it is an 'official' SE, but with all the M-Sport items added / changed?

Back to the original point - I don't think an official 'SE Sport' model exists.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

my post was simply in reply to your statement where you said "It is not possible to spec an SE with all the M-Sport parts! "
if your being pedantic, then yes your right , but you can spec a SE with all parts that a sport model has.....if your buying you can state anything...period.

you stated........
You say "the M sport was not a different car, it just had some differences....." isn't that a complete contradiction..........

no its not.different car implies (fundamental differences, like the M5) where as "differences" imply subtle changes or cosmetics.

you then said.....
However, you could buy an 'SE' car and personally fit all the M-Sport items making it effectively into an M-Sport - although quite why someone wishing to do this wouldn't buy an M-Sport in the first place is beyond me. However, the fact is that the car was sold by BMW as an SE not an M-Sport - that's what my point is. BMW will still see it as an 'SE'.

it should not be beyond you, the simple explanation is i inherited the 530d for nothing (if you read my sig, you will see that i have 2 diesel E60's) and for a small sum i specced it to how i wanted it i now have a ?15k car that cost me ?5k.

in regard to your statement that BMW would still see it as an SE how does this fair then...
if you had a 520d, and put a 550 petrol engine in, do you think that BMW would still see it as a 520d ?? of course not, the designation your car gets is when it left the factory, it becomes later what ever you create it to be.
my "house" was built as a animal barn by the builders, but its now a 4 bed room barn conversion (its not a animal barn anymore)
cars are the same, they get paperwork to corrispond with what it was built as, it can of course be chainged...just have to be inspected (as cat c write off cars do) or kit cars, it then gets a new piece of paper work.
its not magic.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Z3 M Coupe' post='786263' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:07 PM
Horrendous to deal with. The 2 guys I dealt with there were so crooked I doubt they could lie straight in bed. Naturally they were very good right up to the point they got my deposit - after that, incredibly frustrating and poor service. Think the experience of dealing with them aged me about 10 years. I'd go into what went on but having to think about it too much would probably finally rob me of the will to live.

Comment above about you better know what you are doing when it comes to dealing with them is spot on.

Anyway, putting the customer service aside, got a good deal on a 545.

Still waiting on my sat nav disc too (the original was probably flogged on ebay) ...
+1

LOL! Same comments as me. We bought two 545's from there. Loving the comments about them not being able to lie in bed straight.

when i went to pick mine up and they hadn't done what was promised. I asked for the manager and the owner came and spoke to us. He was soooo crooked, he made the other guys look straight.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='786830' date='Feb 6 2009, 04:46 PM
my post was simply in reply to your statement where you said "It is not possible to spec an SE with all the M-Sport parts! "
if your being pedantic, then yes your right , but you can spec a SE with all parts that a sport model has.....if your buying you can state anything...period.

you stated........

no its not.different car implies (fundamental differences, like the M5) where as "differences" imply subtle changes or cosmetics.

you then said.....

it should not be beyond you, the simple explanation is i inherited the 530d for nothing (if you read my sig, you will see that i have 2 diesel E60's) and for a small sum i specced it to how i wanted it i now have a ?15k car that cost me ?5k.

in regard to your statement that BMW would still see it as an SE how does this fair then...
if you had a 520d, and put a 550 petrol engine in, do you think that BMW would still see it as a 520d ?? of course not, the designation your car gets is when it left the factory, it becomes later what ever you create it to be.
my "house" was built as a animal barn by the builders, but its now a 4 bed room barn conversion (its not a animal barn anymore)
cars are the same, they get paperwork to corrispond with what it was built as, it can of course be chainged...just have to be inspected (as cat c write off cars do) or kit cars, it then gets a new piece of paper work.
its not magic.

I did say "It is not possible to spec an SE with all the M-Sport parts! " This is a 100% correct FACT. Clearly I am talking about when specing a car brand new from the factory (but I think you know that). You show me where you can spec a new UK SE car with all the M-Sport items (and just for further clarity I'm obviously referring to the UK market here). If you look in the Brochure / the car configurator @ bmw.co.uk it can't be done! Granted some of the Sport items are available as 'options'. Specing these means you still have an SE, albeit with options.

The SE is a 'different' model to the 'M-Sport' - be very clear (as you seem to need everything spelling out and it's context explaining), just because I have an M-Sport, I'm not saying it is any better or worse than an SE, simply that it's a 'different' model.

You say you inherited your 530d for nothing - excellent, I've never questioned that, and the fact you have 'upgraded' it as you wish is cool - it's what many on here do - again, I've never questioned that. You are coming across as though you somehow think I have criticised one of your cars (or indeed others who have 'SE' cars) - far from it, by the sounds of your list of mods, it sounds great - most probably a 'better' equipped car than mine.

However, your car is still 'officially' an 'SE' model (albeit a very nicely modified one). BMW will have your chassis number listed with the spec and options that it left the factory with. They will not have it listed as an 'M-Sport' just because you have modified it. In your simplistic example of adding a 550 engine to a 520d car, then yes..... BMW will still have the chassis number listed as a 520d - of course they will. We can each do what we like to our cars, but it will make no difference to what the 'official' listed model is. Kit cars, cat c's , houses etc. have nothing to do with this...... Back to your 'example', do you think BMW would provide any engine parts that may be needed under warranty (presuming the car was still under warranty) for your so called errrmmm 550 (but inreality as far as BMW are concerned 520d).......hhhmmmm, no I don't think so, I wonder why?

The simplest of things hey..........all my original point was that led to 'this' is that "I don't believe there is an offical UK 'SE Sport' model" - end of.......... unless anyone can prove me wrong, in which case I will be happy to accept I'm wrong!

Anyway, I won't be drawn in with this pointless discussion any further, so that's all from me on this one.....!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributors

(as you seem to need everything spelling out and it's context explaining),

thats very condecending of you.
i give in, your correct, i only have a 530d SE.