E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Difference between iDrive High and iDrive Low controllers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference between iDrive High and iDrive Low controllers

Hi guys, can someone tell me what is the difference between the high and low controllers?

As I'm aware the High supports the diagonals in order to navigate thru the map. My core question is, can the LOW controller be used with a Prof Navi for gaining basic functionality, or I need the High in order to get things moving on the screen?

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by bobbyggx
Hi guys, can someone tell me what is the difference between the high and low controllers?

As I'm aware the High supports the diagonals in order to navigate thru the map. My core question is, can the LOW controller be used with a Prof Navi for gaining basic functionality, or I need the High in order to get things moving on the screen?

Thank you!
Simply code ZBE to LOW in CAPPL. I use the low controller with my Nav retrofit and quite a few others do as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
New Members

Well, thank you so much!

You've literally made my day! Hopefully the CCC test will be positive and I'll make the retrofit.

Do you know if I can use the 6.6" monitor to test the CCC, becuase I still don't have the 8.8", I'm waiting to find a CCC module first, but in order to fully test it I want to see how it works.

Thank you again!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Not to thread jack but I just received a M5 controller. The donor car had nav but mine doesn't, will I need coding to make it work?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Well, thank you so much!

You've literally made my day! Hopefully the CCC test will be positive and I'll make the retrofit.

Do you know if I can use the 6.6" monitor to test the CCC, becuase I still don't have the 8.8", I'm waiting to find a CCC module first, but in order to fully test it I want to see how it works.

Thank you again!
I believe so, but not to sure. It doesn't take long to plug it in for a quick test. The caveat is the video cable. For me, I went from M-ASK standard to CCC wide screen. The video cable required filing down a little plastic nipple that's there simply to ensure correct cable orientation. Doesn't take much to remove it and use the existing video cable.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Well, thank you so much!

Thank you again!
yes you can use your 6.6 monitor, plugs right in,
As far as High and Lo Controller...I believe High just gives end of option feedback response. You can use it, it's not a problem. May not even need coding. My car was pre-wired for nav w/voice and I did not replace the iDrive controller but I may have had the High anyway because I get feedback.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
yes you can use your 6.6 monitor, plugs right in,
As far as High and Lo Controller...I believe High just gives end of option feedback response. You can use it, it's not a problem. May not even need coding. My car was pre-wired for nav w/voice and I did not replace the iDrive controller but I may have had the High anyway because I get feedback.
If you have both voice/nav buttons (prewire option), you may already have the High controller. If not, you will need coding (well you will need coding anyhow for the retrofit). The controller will move a notch or 2, and frustrate the hell out of you. It will select, just no rotational movement if you don't code ZBE low if you have the low controller.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Thank you!
Tell me the following...what is the build date of your vehicle or just the last 7 of VIN and I will run it. By your controller and on steering wheel do you have the voice option? If so you're more than likely pre-wired. If so, putting a CCC in is a breeze. You do not need any GPS antennae or anything. Everything is already there.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM
New Members

My Vehicle is manufactured 07.2003. I have the Business Navi and the CCC is plug-n-play, only coding. I've tested a CCC module, but I guess it was dead, because nothing happend when I connected it. The screen was blank, there was a DVD inside it and I couldn't eject it.

I read that when you connect the CCC, without any coding you should get something on the screen, is that right?