E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Differance b/w 530i & 545i

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I am new to the board and am purchasing a bmw for the first time (I have been a avid Lexus) and have a few questions

I am looking at a 04-06 5 series and was wondering what the differances (besides the engine) is between the 530i and the 545i?

Secondly I was looking at a car that has idrive and was told that it should automatically have navigation to? is this true because the one I am looking at doesnt seem to have navi but has idrive??

Lastly, my buddy told me that theres two types of leather that bmws come with ( a better one and one not soo good)?? Is this true and how do I know which is which?

and is there anything else i should be looking for when looking at these two models??

Thanks for your guys help, any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by pakattack' post='898000' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:40 AM
Hey,

I am new to the board and am purchasing a bmw for the first time (I have been a avid Lexus) and have a few questions

I am looking at a 04-06 5 series and was wondering what the differances (besides the engine) is between the 530i and the 545i?

Secondly I was looking at a car that has idrive and was told that it should automatically have navigation to? is this true because the one I am looking at doesnt seem to have navi but has idrive??

Lastly, my buddy told me that theres two types of leather that bmws come with ( a better one and one not soo good)?? Is this true and how do I know which is which?

and is there anything else i should be looking for when looking at these two models??

iDrive is standard on e60's but navi is an option. Get the 545i. I wish I did.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pakattack' post='898000' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:40 PM
Hey,

First of all, welcome...

The main difference is obviously the engine.
Secondly, not all idrive's have to have navigation. Every 5 series (2004+) has an idrive. A 545 doesnt automatically have navigation (or so I dont think).

Then there comes sound....there is the US standard sound system (called HiFi), then the upgraded sound system called Logic 7. From what I have heard, the logic 7 is a huge upgrade....it has better quality speakers and a better amp..

As for leather, you have normal leather seats, then "comfort seats"....the latter is well, more comfortable and has more settings.

Lastly, you can get head up display (shows the MPH on your windshield), and active steering....before you buy just look at all the features each car has.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

You will be happy with either car. Get the best value with the interior options you are looking for.
iDrive is a no-brainer, comes standard. Nav is an option and seats are an option.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

You need to drive both of them and see for yourself which one suits you better - find a CPO BMW till 100k warranty and enjoy. IMO 545 is the way to go...plenty of power when needed and ok gas mileage for a V8.
Nav is optional as Leggo said...search around this forum and that will be your best tool for a while.
GL and post come pics.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First of all - Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2005 530 and the only difference I can tell is gas mileage - I get 30 mpg on the highway (22.6 in mixed driving) which is the reason I got the car. Living in SoCal gas is not cheap so why not get a 5 series with Accord mileage?

P.S. I would definitely suggest looking for Prem pkg, Sport pkg, and NAV - definitely worth it (can you tell I love my car?)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Members

As for leather, you have normal leather seats, then "comfort seats"....the latter is well, more comfortable and has more settings.

So its the same leather however the comfort seats just have more settings?? my buddy said somthing about leatherette?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Originally Posted by pakattack' post='898035' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:06 PM
So its the same leather however the comfort seats just have more settings?? my buddy said somthing about leatherette?
If your car as the premium package it has leather not Leatherette. The easiest way to tell is if the car has premium package is to look at the rear-view mirror. If it has the 3 home-link buttons it is premium. Of course the vehicle could have been ordered with Leather without Prem pkg. You can have a BMW dealer run the VIN and it will list the options.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Well if you're looking at 06 models, the 550 would be in the mix too right? Or have you picked out a specific 530 and 545?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Contributors

I wish I got the 545.... =(

Quick Reply: Differance b/w 530i & 545i