E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

From Diesel to Petrol?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Thumbs up

Has anyone stepped up or down from diesel to petrol? For obvious reasons = engine responsiveness, sound, feeling and cultivation? Let's not make this thread a discussion between diesel owners and hardcore petrol fans .. just curious if there's someone who got bored of a diesel engine and went another way (not very common in Europe).

I'm with my 2nd 535d 272hp, upgraded to 330hp a week ago not very satisfied and it still doesn't feel as good as when I tried my friend's 545i (not mentioning 650i which was even better ) It's OK if you tell me it really should become any better and every car reviewer says 535d Touring is the best car in its class in the world .. but.. Can't shake this feeling out Please help!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I think for me at least the performance is awesome, you just dont feel it or hear it, its deceptively quick ???, the only time it feels really quick is in the company of other traffic., but you know, even the fastest cars become boring once your used to them, im a regular passenger in a SRT10 Viper, even that doesn't feel so fast now im used it ? its the noise and ambience that add up to the exciting combination, something the derv misses.

One reason I keep and still love my old 525i Sport with its full stainless pipes, you cant beat the roar of that straight six petrol even if it would be eaten up by my noisy diesel
Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

hey,

i know how you feel but let me tell you one thing: you can never have enough power.... the best cure: get a 520d, drive it for 6 months and then get a 535d - you will appreciate every additional horse the car has
Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Sorry but if you are really passionate about your driving and car, then the petrol won't disappoint. When the time comes for a change of car, I will definately be trading my "d" for an "i".

despite the power and torque, I still feel the petrol car sounds better and the overall experience of ownership is sweeter. The diesel is a fine car and from inside, you cant really tell its a diesel. Thats real credit to this car. but when you come home pull up on the driveway and hear the clakety-clak from the engine, all that fun and passion very quickly dries up. I always immediately switch off the car while in the past with my petrol cars, I let the engine run cause the sounds it makes is the icing on the cake (drive home). I park the car and walk inside and the drive gets etched into memory. Not with the diesel. Its just a great car from A to B and thats about it. oh and cheaper to run I guess.

cheers
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Well, comparing my chipped 530d to a 530i, you just can't beat the torque, it feels fast in, especially when taking over.
But i agree, you don't really feel the power, unless you look at the speedo or are driving in traffic. You're just that much quicker.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='822617' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:01 AM
despite the power and torque, I still feel the petrol car sounds better and the overall experience of ownership is sweeter. The diesel is a fine car and from inside, you cant really tell its a diesel. Thats real credit to this car. but when you come home pull up on the driveway and hear the clakety-clak from the engine, all that fun and passion very quickly dries up.
Me too! I'm definitely NOT going 'd' anymore. I hate the unrefined truck-like clackety-clak noise -- especially at night when I pull up into my parking lot and 'ttttttt' echoes throughout the whole parking lot.

It's fast and I do love the low-rpm torque but it still sounds like a truck and makes me feel a bit like I'm driving a fake BMW of some sorts.

Next car, I'm going way overboard and at least a 3.5L gas car!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 530i M-Sport Carbon Black, black Dakota leather, advantage, comfort and M-Sport package, comfort seats, sport automatic transmission, alarm system, rails, folding and auto dimming mirrors, PDC, xenons, hi-fi loudspeaker system, USB interface, detachable towbar, navi pro, bluetooth phone prep. light package.

Diesels: I don't care how much torque they have and how fast they are, in the end they all sound like tractors! I enjoy my straight six petrol, it has the sound a BMW is supposed to have!!