E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Diesel Owners - Just found a misfueling prevention device.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was telling a guy at work about my screw up last night with the old Petrol in the Diesel mistake, he emailed me this link for a company that he saw on Dragons Den. I decided that ?49 Inc Vat and Delivery was a small price to pay to avoid this again so i bought one, when it arrives I will post my findings on whether it is any good or not.

Here is the link if any of you are interested:

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk

One more thing i would like to say or maybe even write to BMW to ask, why the heck did they make part of the Diesel fuel cap bright green or to be more precise Unleaded Green?

BTW I am in no way affiliated with this company, i am not advertising for them i just thought you'd be interested.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

BTW, from which year they started to fit the prevention device into the Diesel E60s right from the factory? Is it LCI thing?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

My LCI 525d has a mis-fuelling device fitted within the filler from the factory - thought this was a standard thing?

See a thread HERE which I contributed to which highlights this!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='786907' date='Feb 6 2009, 06:23 PM
I was telling a guy at work about my screw up last night with the old Petrol in the Diesel mistake, he emailed me this link for a company that he saw on Dragons Den. I decided that ?49 Inc Vat and Delivery was a small price to pay to avoid this again so i bought one, when it arrives I will post my findings on whether it is any good or not.

Here is the link if any of you are interested:

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk

One more thing i would like to say or maybe even write to BMW to ask, why the heck did they make part of the Diesel fuel cap bright green or to be more precise Unleaded Green?

BTW I am in no way affiliated with this company, i am not advertising for them i just thought you'd be interested.
Just been looking at the link you provided and notice that listed against each of the BMW models (except 7 series) it states "without their own misfueling" - I guess this means that earlier cars didn't have the device I referred to built into the fuel filler neck, but later LCI cars did? Either way, the Fuel Angel looks a good quality device, that effectively achieves the same as the OEM one built into later cars.

I personally am frequently driving my own car and wife's back to back - mine is diesel, hers is petrol. Mis-fuelling could happen to the best of us in a moment of distraction!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

I know that my new 2004 525D doesnt have an misfueling prevention to my expense, I have owned quite a few Diesel's over the years and this is the first time that I have misfueled. In my experience all it takes is a bad day at work with some high stress events to not pay attention to 2 secs, in my case not paying attention for 6 litres to end up with a ?195 garage bill (I was lucky I didnt start the car). I am for want of a better expression tight when it comes to spending money on things like this, prior to making the mistake I might not have bought this device.

I'll let you all know how it is when it arrives, money well spent in my opinion. The thought of accidentally running the car with petrol in it and having to replace the engine really scares the c##p out of me.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Contributors

im going to check both my E60's if i dont already have a "device" then i will be buying 2.
i own a few cars and drive them all regulary, so im always checking and double checking the fuel....it can only be a matter of time....