E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

diesel engine exhaust regeneration

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 05:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

As soon as the onboard sensors detects that the dieselcatalyst is plugging (polluted), the enginemanagement starts a regeneration process.
It recycles the exhaustgases thru the catalyst and with this builds up heat and so burns the pollution.

With my car this process makes a metallike deep rumbling sound (which, my dealer says, is quite normal) but with every (hard) left turn there's a scraping sound as well

Does anybody (fellow diesel lovers) else has the same sounds or is something wrong?

Greetz,
Hans
Old 04-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

I certainly get the deep rumbling sound, especially part wat through a long motorway drive.

The best way I can describe it is like having a blown exhaust or a V8 for a short time!

I have not experienced the scraping noise though.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 10 2005, 01:43 PM
As soon as the onboard sensors detects that the dieselcatalyst is plugging (polluted), the enginemanagement starts a regeneration process.
It recycles the exhaustgases thru the catalyst and with this builds up heat and so burns the pollution.

With my car this process makes a metallike deep rumbling sound (which, my dealer says, is quite normal) but with every (hard) left turn there's a scraping sound as well?

Does anybody (fellow diesel lovers) else has the same sounds or is something wrong?

Greetz,
Hans
[snapback]113653[/snapback]
I've never noticed this...wouldn't it be helpful though if there was something on the dashboard to indicate the car was doing this? Would be extremely simple I would think!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

I agree, a 'cat light' or message on the on board computer would be nice.
The first time I noticed the sound I went to the dealer, even they didn't know (at that time) what it was....
I really enjoy this kind of technique though, and it's better for the environment (EUR4 emission, here in Holland we live with a lot of people/cars in a small country).

I don't know about the scraping sound, but the car is (except for a few sounds) flawless and a joy to drive

Cheers,

Hans.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 10 2005, 01:43 PM

With my car this process makes a metallike deep rumbling sound (which, my dealer says, is quite normal) but with every (hard) left turn there's a scraping sound as well?

Greetz,
Hans
[snapback]113653[/snapback]
I also recognize the rumbling sound and just like you I went to the dealer to ask about it. I have not heart the scraping sound, but I have experienced that the car sometimes refuses to shift down while the filter/catalyst is cleaned.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by oreo' date='Apr 11 2005, 05:02 AM
I also recognize the rumbling sound and just like you I went to the dealer to ask about it. I have not heart the scraping sound, but I have experienced that the car sometimes refuses to shift down while the filter/catalyst is cleaned.
[snapback]113967[/snapback]
Yes, that is another "symptom" I forgot to mention, the car will hold it's one or maybe even two gears lower than it would normally.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

How often does it make it
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Apr 12 2005, 08:49 AM
How often does it make it
[snapback]114379[/snapback]
It depends... do you often drive for a short or a long distance etc.
Basicly it measures the amount of pollution of the catalyst and takes action.
My car regenerates about every 1000-1200 km.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

I have that sound too.
I was wondering why sometimes the car had that wonderfull (like V8 engine) mettalic exaust sound ........

In the service menu is showing 150.000 kms to replace the element ....
Old 02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

I wonder also what happens and how often. I thought also about 1000km is the average distance when this happens. Once i drove my car home and i drove normally, and quite economic since i was in the city and the traffic was quite heavy. Rearly going over 2000-2500 rpm and without sudden accelerations. When i got home i heard the exhuast clacking and clicking as it was very very hot. Outside temperature was somewhere between 0 to 5 degrees. I was amaized on that sound since i knew it shouldn't be there as i knew how i drove the car. IT was the exact sound as you would have driven the car at it's limits with the engine revved at max. Out of curiosity i touched with my fingers slightly the exhaust tip (muffler). Yaikes it burnt me like hell. It really left me with some burn marks. The exhaust must have been red hot. Then i realised it must have been a recicle process.

Quick Reply: diesel engine exhaust regeneration