E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Diesel chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

The chatter of my dad's 525d got much louder lately. I don't think it's because of the falling temperatures (we have now about 18?C).

Does anyone know why? Maybe something got broken....
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by sese' post='340873' date='Oct 2 2006, 05:13 PM
The chatter of my dad's 525d got much louder lately. I don't think it's because of the falling temperatures (we have now about 18?C).

Could be the oil level? Might be worth checking it to see if it is lower than usual?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='340887' date='Oct 2 2006, 12:05 PM
Could be the oil level? Might be worth checking it to see if it is lower than usual?
You're right! It does seem to get louder/more noticeable the more miles on the clock. I've noticed this with both my previous car and current car. The funny thing is my wife has an X5 3.0d and the engine noise whilst driving sounds superb with no clank to heard. Cant quite make out it why unless it has different sound deadening.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='340965' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:58 PM
You're right! It does seem to get louder/more noticeable the more miles on the clock. I've noticed this with both my previous car and current car. The funny thing is my wife has an X5 3.0d and the engine noise whilst driving sounds superb with no clank to heard. Cant quite make out it why unless it has different sound deadening.

I bet that the x5 engine looses less oil than yours. I have had cars which need regular topsups and others which do not need a drop. Just a thought...
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Thanks guys for the fast reply. I'm going to check the oil.

Regards,
sese
Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

A diesel engine will get louder when it's cold! During the winter our diesel sounds very "diesel like" when the engine is cold.. When the engine is warm, it sounds normal again

We have 89,000 km's on clock, and the sound from the engine is the same as it was brand new
Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='341118' date='Oct 3 2006, 10:48 AM
A diesel engine will get louder when it's cold! During the winter our diesel sounds very "diesel like" when the engine is cold.. When the engine is warm, it sounds normal again

We have 89,000 km's on clock, and the sound from the engine is the same as it was brand new
I have already said above, that it's not because of the temperatures. The engine is louder. Even after driving 25km.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Members

Is the oil due to be changed soon?, my wife has a diesel & I couldn't believe how much quieter it was after the oil was changed during annual service, after just 6000 miles.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sese' post='340873' date='Oct 2 2006, 05:13 PM

I have a solution for you sese! Turn up the radio until you can no longer hear the engine!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='341129' date='Oct 3 2006, 11:14 AM
I have a solution for you sese! Turn up the radio until you can no longer hear the engine!
good idea

No, let's be serious. I checked the oil just now and noticed the oil being only half full. Though the car was at the dealer to be inspected 6,000 km ago That's four months ago...

Does anyone know if this is normal? Does it really need so much oil?

Quick Reply: Diesel chatter